Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Revers light wont go off

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2019, 03:20 PM
Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
Default HELP! Revers light wont go off

As subtitle.
I changed to sport design diffuser, and had to upgrade from fog bulb lights/revers to LED reverslight from v8, when i lock the car (dubble tab) still the lights will not turn off 2h later...
I have already dissconected the battery for 10 secounds + becouse before the switch the batteri was empty for some reason.

Any one??

Old 10-25-2019, 01:44 PM
Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Not to state the obvious, but did you try the on off button between the steering wheel and the door on the lower dash?? Those lights are also called the fog lights in the US

Old 10-25-2019, 09:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by SS4PK
Not to state the obvious, but did you try the on off button between the steering wheel and the door on the lower dash?? Those lights are also called the fog lights in the US
The fogs shine red, the reverse lights white.

Old 10-26-2019, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by SS4PK

This thought struck me. I've turned all this off. The lights are still lit overnight

This clearly happened after I changed the lights because the old ones that are on the old diffuser are not LEDs. when I had M4 you had to go into ex. bimmercode to change some parameters for similar upgrades (bulb -> LED). But I can't find any info (because I'm the other one on this planet to do retrofit the sports design diffuser xD)

Last edited by v6sAWD-sweden; 10-26-2019 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-26-2019, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
The fogs shine red, the reverse lights white.
My old ones had the reds ones on the diffuser, i ask my self, do I even have fog-light anymore?

Old 10-26-2019, 02:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

I know SFA about electrics, wiring and lights, but I do know that the reverse and fog lights on my S, the ones with separate red and white lens, are separate halogen globes and the V8 single lens ones are LEDs which switch from red to white and back. I also suspect the wiring plugs are different, maybe this explains why the OP is having this problem?
I also swapped out the reversing light globes on mine for bright white LEDs but I didn't touch the fog light globes and I have had zero problems with any of these lights.

Old 10-26-2019, 02:26 AM

I need to solve this ****!

Lights never goes off.

Old 10-26-2019, 02:37 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by v6sAWD-sweden
I need to solve this ****!

Lights never goes off.
I can only think of two relatively quick and simple things you can try:
1. Unplug the two power plugs (one each side on the back of each light), spray some electrical contact cleaner into the sockets, let it dry for a few minutes then plug the leads back in.
2. If that doesn't work disconnect the battery for around 20 minutes then reconnect it. Just unbolt the end of the earth lead which runs from the negative battery terminal to a bolt on the floor of the boot/trunk.
No guarantee that either of these will work but they are easy and free to try!
If nothing you try works then your only recourse is to get an auto electrician to look at it.

Edit - I just thought of something else - when reconnecting one of the power plugs whoever did it may have bent a pin inside the plug, resulting in a permanent connection. Pull the plugs and have a good look inside them.

Last edited by OzXFR; 10-26-2019 at 02:40 AM.
Old 10-26-2019, 05:29 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
I know SFA about electrics, wiring and lights, but I do know that the reverse and fog lights on my S, the ones with separate red and white lens, are separate halogen globes and the V8 single lens ones are LEDs which switch from red to white and back. I also suspect the wiring plugs are different, maybe this explains why the OP is having this problem?
I also swapped out the reversing light globes on mine for bright white LEDs but I didn't touch the fog light globes and I have had zero problems with any of these lights.
When I switched from the V6 valance lights to the V8 valance lights it was a simple plug & play with no issues.

Old 10-26-2019, 05:32 AM
Veteran Member

My old ones had the reds ones on the diffuser, i ask my self, do I even have fog-light anymore?
Your lights should turn red when the fogs are turned on.

The following users liked this post:
v6sAWD-sweden (10-27-2019)
Old 10-26-2019, 02:05 PM

I can only think of two relatively quick and simple things you can try:
1. Unplug the two power plugs (one each side on the back of each light), spray some electrical contact cleaner into the sockets, let it dry for a few minutes then plug the leads back in.
2. If that doesn't work disconnect the battery for around 20 minutes then reconnect it. Just unbolt the end of the earth lead which runs from the negative battery terminal to a bolt on the floor of the boot/trunk.
No guarantee that either of these will work but they are easy and free to try!
If nothing you try works then your only recourse is to get an auto electrician to look at it.

Edit - I just thought of something else - when reconnecting one of the power plugs whoever did it may have bent a pin inside the plug, resulting in a permanent connection. Pull the plugs and have a good look inside them.
I will try to disconnect the battery once more tomorrow, thanks!
If that dosent work then one electrican will haft to look in to it, right now i do unplug them when i park the car. It hurts in the soul to se them still running after 23h.
Itīs unlikely that i have done something wrong with both lights, regarding the pins? both are running.

When I switched from the V6 valance lights to the V8 valance lights it was a simple plug & play with no issues.
I am happy to hear that, then something is wrong in my case, i mean you could not even connect the lights wrong, its just plug n play!

Last edited by v6sAWD-sweden; 10-27-2019 at 11:29 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-27-2019, 05:22 AM

Your lights should turn red when the fogs are turned on.
This is not the case for me, nothin happens when i press fog lights.

Old 10-27-2019, 05:28 AM
Veteran Member

This is not the case for me, nothin happens when i press fog lights.
The fog lights won't turn on until the engine is running and the headlights are on, have you tried that?

The following users liked this post:
v6sAWD-sweden (10-27-2019)
Old 10-27-2019, 05:53 AM

The fog lights won't turn on until the engine is running and the headlights are on, have you tried that?

My bad, it is changing colors! Thanks!

Old 10-27-2019, 11:24 AM

Im glad to say that the problem is fixed.
Solution; disconnected the cables over the night.
Fore some reason now they donīt lit when car is off.

Big thanks to everyone that was engaging!

Last edited by v6sAWD-sweden; 10-27-2019 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-27-2019, 04:58 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

The fog lights won't turn on until the engine is running and the headlights are on ...
But, AIUI, not on main beam, only dipped.

Old 10-27-2019, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member

Im glad to say that the problem is fixed.
Solution; disconnected the cables over the night.
Fore some reason now they donīt lit when car is off.

Big thanks to everyone that was engaging!
I suspect you had a bad contact on one of them which you fixed by removing the plug then sticking it in again.

Old 10-27-2019, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by scm
But, AIUI, not on main beam, only dipped.
Yep, this is what the Owner Manual says:
"Press to switch the rear fog lamps on/off. They will only operate while side lamps, headlamps, or Auto lamps are selected."
So they imply but don't say outright that the fog lamps won't work if the headlights are on high (main) beam.
It also doesn't say anything about if the engine needs to be on or not, I'm going by memory here that the last time I tested the fog lamps they didn't come on unless I started the engine. I'll give it another test and report back!

Old 10-27-2019, 05:29 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

"Press to switch the rear fog lamps on/off. They will only operate while side lamps, headlamps, or Auto lamps are selected."
So they imply but don't say outright that the fog lamps won't work if the headlights are on high (main) beam.
I guess they figure that if you can see far enough to need main beam, following cars will be able to see your regular taillights.
I've personally never had a need to use high intensity rear fog lamps, I think they just encourage people to follow you too closely, and not spot when you're using your brakes! The number of people I've followed in light mist who think I can't see their whole car and decide that blinding me makes them safe.

Old 10-27-2019, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member

It also doesn't say anything about if the engine needs to be on or not, I'm going by memory here that the last time I tested the fog lamps they didn't come on unless I started the engine. I'll give it another test and report back!
OK, quick test now conducted, and they DON'T work the way the Manual says!
First off they don't work with the ignition off, the ignition must be on.
They don't work with no lights on.
They DO NOT work with just "side lamps" (AKA parkers) on despite what the manual says.
They work with the headlights switched on on low / dipped beam, but they ALSO work with the high / main beam on despite what the Manual implies.
I didn't test with the engine running as I doubt that would make any difference and I didn't want to run the car inside my closed garage.
I was using the reflection of the fog lights from my closed garage door to tell if they were on or not, I would not have been able to tell if I opened the door.

Quick Reply: HELP! Revers light wont go off