F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help sciatic pain and seat on f -type

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 04:24 AM
Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
Default help sciatic pain and seat on f -type

hi , on 4 august i get again sciatic pain from a previous injury( im ex sportsman professional) so no problem for 8 years but from the 2 last months after 1 hour of driving my leg hurt for sciatic nerve that probably touch on my herniated disc.... i can drive of course but some days 40 minutes other 1hour 30 minutes... im sad and i start to find a better position of the seat that in sport cars is a gamble .... the best position for sciatic is knee lower or on the same line of the hip and of course the head on the headrest.....try to have a good position....

i don't know if some of you suffer of sciatic pain but ...im very depressed , i know time will be the cure ...like the past...and like the best doctors says me...and always i return good...but long time...and determination...im 40 and the first time 29 years old...more mental power....

some ideas about seating ? thx my friends

Old 10-20-2018, 04:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Where do you keep your wallet?

The following users liked this post:
Don1954 (10-25-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Where do you keep your wallet?
of course i had it on the storage box... i was a professional sportsman , so my problem is not the wallet in the pocket but a L4 L5 herniated disk in 2007 that i win at time in 14 months ... without operation and nothing i continue my career at that time ...so 2011 a little return after little injury....and 2018 now...
that's it

Old 10-20-2018, 06:03 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Checkout "Pain Free" by Pete Egoscue.

Old 10-20-2018, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 262 Likes on 196 Posts

Try to go to a 'floatcenter'... .. better to release the disc naturally and let the cramped muscle relax. Chances are after 2nd/3rd float the disc may slip to the position intended.

Do 2nd two days after 1st and 3rd also two days later. Then each week and reduce to every 3 or 4 weeks untill you think you can do without. For me 6 sessions cured me,
in the sense I'm practically painless since the last ten weeks.

Once you are floating try to push you head down, as of a natural reponse you tend to lift your head giving high tension in the back of your neck ; pushing it down actively
strangely releases the stress there. Once released, relax...

I have so many back/shoulder/tendon/disc/neck related problems I can fill a phonebook full with incidents. Last few years I got Shiatsu, but the floating did the trick in the end..

https://floathouse.ca/introduction-to-floating/

Last edited by Dan_NL; 10-20-2018 at 11:40 AM.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

My agrivated bursitas gets it from the left side of the performance seats at times. I just squirm a little. Worse since hip fracture, still not driving anything else!

Old 10-22-2018, 04:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 262 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by bjg625
My agrivated bursitas gets it from the left side of the performance seats at times. I just squirm a little. Worse since hip fracture, still not driving anything else!
First time I ever heared of a bursitus in a hip.. ..mostly people get that in the shoulder.. Sounds a nasty combo with a hipfracture. Old age doesn't make it easier to cure I guess..
Luckily I don't have any experience with this, so I can not give any advice from personal experience, sorry..

Old 10-24-2018, 06:54 PM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I had similar issues, but not from injury just getting old. An ex MLBer buddy of mine had herniated disk and suffered from bad lower back pain until he took up yoga. Now he's actually a yoga instructor, and no more lower back pain. He convinced me to start doing some simple stretching exercises, and that along with an occasional use from my tens unit has pretty much fixed me up.

I have another baseball bud who had lower back surgery and became addicted to opioids. He's now on disability and pretty much living in constant pain.

For me I tend to have my seat back pretty vertical, not too laid back, and a slight push out on the lower back bolster.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 699 Posts

I understand your dilemma as I have to limit my Corvette and Supra outings to shorter trips and very carefully chosen roads (sports cars can also be problematic for back injuries as the constant pounding from stiff suspension and wide, low profile tires can amplify any slight discomfort over time). If you can't quite adjust your seat enough to get your knees down, google Gseat from Gelco products. Its wedge shape may help change your sitting position just enough, plus while its not a particularly soft cushion, the gel properties also help absorb some of the potholes. At a car show, I saw one in the seat of Ford GT and ordered one for myself. I probably would have sold my sports cars and had to start collecting old Cadillacs instead if I hadn't discovered it.

Old 10-28-2018, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

Which seats do you have? How tall are you?

I had surgery in 2008 for L5-S1 (laminectomy and discectomy). I have near constant pain for the rest of my life; some days are better than others. In my F-Type, I have the Performance Seats. I've done several business trips in car ranging from 3-5 hour drives (one way). Aside from the containment seat in my race car, the Performance Seats are one of the most comfortable seats for my back. They don't add to the discomfort. These are the first seats in a while I haven't needed to add extra lumbar support in the car.

Old 10-31-2018, 06:58 PM

the normal seat i think with the two regulation

im going better but i think i need other 2 - 3 months to stay perfect again but i improve my life quality

Old 11-01-2018, 04:06 PM

today i do a lot of test and great improvement for sciatica leg pain but need to do tomorrow other regulation for low back

simply i put the height regulation at max so i try to find a good line from hip and knee (of course it's hard) because it's a sport seat but i put at max and the 2nd step is put the other regulation for the spine all back so my position is better because the hip angle is more open , also i try to reduce pressure on the leg removing my shoes and stand the leg on the foot rest, again improvement but i need to try tomorrow if best, i need to say in that position no calf pain... i drive with no leg problem for 1.hour 30 minutes but i think i was to reclined and some back pain i need to raise a little the seat and try with leg flat or in normal position. without shoes is better because i have more room space to find the right leg position for the sciatica pain

great improvement , im happy but in pain for low back im sure tomorrow i improve and with time that improve my condition f-type will return a pleasure to drive

Old 11-06-2018, 09:56 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I adjust in the seat back side squabs some, to reduce the pressure on my spine by taking some load on my ribs. Also fairly upright back. It helps my herniated disc and avoid most of the time any sciatic pain. Performance seats are a pretty good shape.
My XFR seats were softer and more cushioned, but the shape not so good.

Old 11-10-2018, 01:18 PM

i think i go to swap with r8 i find the seat more comfortable

Old 11-10-2018, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Swindon Andy
I adjust in the seat back side squabs some, to reduce the pressure on my spine by taking some load on my ribs. Also fairly upright back. It helps my herniated disc and avoid most of the time any sciatic pain. Performance seats are a pretty good shape.
My XFR seats were softer and more cushioned, but the shape not so good.
can you explain better , i want try it
thx

Old 12-20-2018, 04:35 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Maybe I can help. I'm a chiropractor and have owned a rehab clinic for 15 years. Sciatic pain and herniated disc pain are not the same thing. If your doctor tells you they are then you need a new doctor. They are treated differently is the real reason. Discogenic nerve pain Congress from compressing a nerve as it exits the spine which is not that common. It generally radiates down the leg wrapping around the leg counterclockwise like from the outside of the hip to the big toe.
Sciatic pain is generated when the muscles in the gluts compress a nerve in your rear end and generate pain that travels straight down the back of the leg all the way to the calf.
And finally to confuse it all you can have pain coming from the sacroilliac joints in the back where your pelvis meets your tailbone. This can also radiate pain but it only goes into the thigh, never past the knee.
​​​​​You need someone who really knows spinal biomechanics before you'll know what to do. A chiropractor or physical therapist is the most likely person that will know what to do. Your average MD won't get it right. True sciatica isn't that common in men due to the shape of the pelvis. I'd need more information to make a better guess the point you in the right direction. Hope that helps. Good luck.