Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holding Cars at Port of Entry

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 04:22 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Holding Cars at Port of Entry

Hi,

Picture a bunch of F-types unloaded at the Baltimore, USA, port, about 360 miles, 580 kilometers, from my garage. Their next journey is to the various dealers. Has anyone heard of Jaguar not releasing 2019 cars, to dealers, once the cars reach their port of entry, because Jaguar wants a dealer's 2018 inventory to be as low as possible before they start releasing the 2019's to the dealers.

My shipping information says my 2019 F-Type coupe is supposed to arrive at the Baltimore port this Thursday, May 5th.

Anxiously Waiting,
Bill

Old 04-30-2018, 04:24 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Not unusual for cars to be held at the port for final campaigns or updates. Don't think it has anything to do with inventory.

The following users liked this post:
ndabunka (04-30-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Not unusual for cars to be held at the port for final campaigns or updates. Don't think it has anything to do with inventory.
Correct. Rarely does it have anything to do with inventory. If that's an issue OEMs know well in advance and usually push back launch dates as a result. Yard holds are often due to software or hardware updates/fixes for issues found/fixed after cars were built. This most commonly happens right after a new model/model year is released.

The car I ordered was held at the port for 2 months, then bricked, and finally delivered to the dealer 7 month after that. I asked for a new car after 3 months...

Old 05-01-2018, 06:38 AM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Same as for Range Rovers if you have the deploy-able side steps they install them at port. In which delays car delivery to the dealer. I remember my Range Rover Sport sat at the port for good 3 days and then arrived to dealer and I got that wonderful call that car is ready!

Old 05-01-2018, 01:26 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

Very common for certain options to be installed at the port and or by the distributor. (Which is often different from the dealer). generally the manufacturer won't hold cars at the port for inventory reasons, no financial incentive do that.

Old 05-01-2018, 05:11 PM
Default Correction to the date.

Originally Posted by Bill.
My shipping information says my 2019 F-Type coupe is supposed to arrive at the Baltimore port this Thursday, May 5th.
My shipping information says my 2019 F-Type coupe is supposed to arrive at the Baltimore port this Thursday, May 3rd..

Bill

Old 05-01-2018, 07:47 PM
Received 98 Likes on 57 Posts

I had a delay issue with my 2018.5. I still don't really know *for sure* what the issue was, but I was told that my car was the first 2018.5 to be delivered such that Jaguar Canada had to register something with Transport Canada. All I know is that my car sat at the local Hansen depot for nearly 2 weeks. Granted it had arrived a few weeks earlier than originally planned/scheduled.

I just checked my old emails -- on the Hansen site, the status changed to ""inactive/Pickup not authorized" and stayed like this for days while Jaguar Corporate sorted out the regulatory registration issue. The car was ultimately at my dealership 18 days later. Yes... 18!!

I was able to track it to the local depot and knew it was just sitting there (Hanson told me that it was Jag who put the 'hold' on the vehicle). When I contacted Jaguar Corporate, I was told they couldn't release it until they had regulatory approval (I escalated the issue to a senior executive at Jaguar and this is what I was told). They were really apologetic about it -- and I tried to remain calm. But, it's really hard when you see the car is sooooo close.... yet sooooooo far away.

Last edited by bb_sam; 05-01-2018 at 07:56 PM.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:00 AM
Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts

^ Was going to say, in my experience two reasons: Customs or internal involvement. This happens a lot with DHL for example - well, because their level of service sucks. Usually means somebody messed something up in the paperwork process and it's kind of slow going depending on the mixup.

Glad they could provide a status for you, at least, rather than avoid you altogether. Not much of a moral victory as you say, because you can't get to it!

Old 05-02-2018, 12:12 PM
Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

A lot of 2018 Land Rovers were held at the Port waiting for EPA certification recently , I would guess Jaguar are now in the same Boat. Except they’re not in a Boat, that was just a figure of speech.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:44 AM

Hi Folks,

I called "Concierge: 1-855-Jaguar-USA" which is 1-855-524-8278 to chat about what happens to cars when they arrive at their destination port.

Question #1: are cars held in Baltimore for customs?

Apparently the cars are stuffed into containers and they unload the containers. They in turn are opened up and the cars driven to the appropriate transport truck and driven to their final destination. However, as others have commented above, some changes may be made before loading onto the trucks.

There is another technique referred to as Roll On Roll Off ( RORO) vs Container car shipping. The Jaguar guy mentioned containers. My dealer said the ship transporting the cars is named Atlantic Sea which is both a RORO and a container ship.

Question #2: will Jaguar hold 2019's at Baltimore until a dealer's 2018 inventory is lowered?

The first words out of his mouth were "Definitely not". He said, you paid for it, it is going to get sent to you.

Bill

Old 05-10-2018, 05:17 PM

Hi,

My F-type, and a friend's F-type are sitting in the port of Baltimore, Maryland, USA.

I had a phone call from my dealership's general manager and then a follow up email about the status. She said:
We went through this same situation last year on our first 2018 F-Type. It was held up for 2 to 3 weeks. But nothing really unreasonable. I think it will depend on how many cars at the port and what the work load is like.
This is from the dealer's Jaguar representative:
As per conversation I followed up with HQ. We cannot release these vehicles to you until we receive full sign off on the 19MY product. Full sign off includes.

Government compliance , regulatory, legal, and multiple other departments within JLR.

Unfortunately we can't speed up the governmental and regulatory aspects of the approval process. They expect the release to be sometime in June / July with standard programs.

Please let your customers know that there are regulatory certifications that need to be satisfied before the vehicle is deemed salable. This is a normal process that occurs at the changeover for every model year so the customer has no reason to worry that the vehicle is being held arbitrarily, or because of an issue/defect. I will be more than happy to reach out to them and am sensitive to their situation.
I did a brief google search and found an USA EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) document that briefly talked about importing cars. I didn't study their contents..
Till next time,
Bill

Old 05-10-2018, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

I'm about 20 minutes from the port. Want me to run over there and bust those kitties loose?

Old 05-10-2018, 09:55 PM
Received 169 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I'm about 20 minutes from the port. Want me to run over there and bust those kitties loose?
Unhingd hard at work...

Holding Cars at Port of Entry-cbjhnno.gif

The following users liked this post:
ndabunka (05-11-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 05:55 AM
Smile

Hi Unhinged,

I appreciate the thought. This web page/PDF file:
http://www.mpa.maryland.gov/Documents/Auto_flyer16.pdf

shows 2 loading/loading areas. One with 2 berths and one with 13 berths.

It might be tough to find our cars and the authorities may frown upon you browsing their packed parking lot.

Thanks for the thought
Bill

Last edited by Bill.; 05-11-2018 at 10:47 AM.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Hi Unhinged,

I appreciate the thought. This web page/PDF file:
http://www.mpa.maryland.gov/Documents/Auto_flyer16.pdf

shows 2 loading/loading areas. One with 2 berths and one with 13 berths.

It might be tough to find our cars and they authorities my frown upon you browsing their packed parking lot.

Thanks for the thought
Bill
Yeah, the security at that port is locked down tight. You can't even see the car staging areas from just outside the security fences.

Old 05-17-2018, 02:56 PM
Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

2019MY F-Types do not have all required approvals and will not be released until June (expected). Only sold orders will be released.

Old 05-17-2018, 03:00 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Yeah, the security at that port is locked down tight. You can't even see the car staging areas from just outside the security fences.

Might not be easy to find it either - pan around a bit, that isn't the only car staging area. There are a LOT of cars there, and other things too...

https://goo.gl/maps/cDFgjn62Bwz

Old 05-17-2018, 03:34 PM

Hi MaineJagMike,

Originally Posted by MaineJagMike
2019MY F-Types do not have all required approvals and will not be released until June (expected). Only sold orders will be released.
Very interesting. This morning I sent an email to Jaguar USA asking about the status of my F-Type at the Baltimore USA port. At 2:16 pm, this afternoon, they responded that I should contact my dealer. At 2:40 PM I got an email from my dealer with almost the same wording as yours.

Question: Do you know if Jaguar USA sent out an email recently to all dealers stating what you and my dealer stated?

Thanks for the info,
Bill

Old 05-17-2018, 03:46 PM
Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Hi MaineJagMike,

Very interesting. This morning I sent an email to Jaguar USA asking about the status of my F-Type at the Baltimore USA port. At 2:16 pm, this afternoon, they responded that I should contact my dealer. At 2:40 PM I got an email from my dealer with almost the same wording as yours.

Question: Do you know if Jaguar USA sent out an email recently to all dealers stating what you and my dealer stated?

Thanks for the info,
Bill
No they did not as of yet.

Old 05-17-2018, 03:52 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

MaineJagMike,

Is the Jaguar factory currently accepting orders from customers in the USA? My dealer currently says NO!

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Holding Cars at Port of Entry