Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hood & side vent removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 07:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts
Default hood & side vent removal

Could somebody be so kind as to post the recommended steps.

Don't want to break off any tabs.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:05 AM
Received 135 Likes on 107 Posts
Old 06-13-2016, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MI-FType
Thanks for that.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jns2001
Here's how the dealer took mine, as I watched, he opened the hood, detached the two screws that holds the side panel (the fender) put his hand inside and detached all the clips, the side vent went out complete and with no broken clips, then he reattached the screws and voila, it was done, a 15 minute job on each side.
I'm also trying to figure out the best way to remove the side vents. It seems as though using the trim removal tool may be a little harder to do/has a higher likelihood of snapping a clip.
If you end up doing either, do you mind taking a few pictures while you do it?

Old 06-15-2016, 03:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 362 Posts

When I removed mine I used trim bars and cloths to prevent scratching. I snapped one clip on the first one, but after seeing how they were clipped in managed to get the other side off without breaking it. Unfortunately... I can't remember the exact technique now! If someone can share a photo of the rear of a side vent I can probably remember the sequence. I recall the frontward clips were harder to access than the rears - probably a locating lug that prevented any flex. I did need to use a lot of force and a lot of swearing ensued.

With hindsght though I would just remove the wing panel and do it the way Jaguar recommend if you don't want to drill and cable tie them. It's only held on with a couple of bolts, and jns2001 describes it well in that quoted message.

Do note though if the bolts are zinc-coated steel the hole should be cleaned and you should replace the bolts with new and repaint them because once the thread has cut into the aluminium the second time in you will get galvanic corrosion. (That's one of the easiest ways to tell if an aluminium-bodied car has had panels replaced because most people don't bother replacing them and they will corrode very quickly.) Jag approved bodyshops will always replace them as standard, but most dealer staff probably haven't been trained so won't realise the need.

Old 06-15-2016, 04:28 AM
Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Default side vent removal

when i took my side vents off i opened the door to allow access to the side of the vent...held onto that side piece and yanked it off, one came off without damage the other snapped one clip

Old 06-15-2016, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member
Default It's pretty easy

the only issue is when you loosen the front, the back snap back and same for left/right. You need the trim tool to simply keep the other tabs from locking back as you work around. Took me about 5 minutes to figure it out and I have zero mechanical skills. Just work it, you'll get it.