Sponsored by:

Horrible Dash Rattle...Goes Away When Defroster Cools It

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 03:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horrible Dash Rattle...Goes Away When Defroster Cools It

Hello All,

2016 Ftype Coupe V6.

I'm new here and have to say that I love this car more than any other I've ever had...and that's a long list. I love the sound, the power, the ride, and it's been a blast seeing everyone staring!

One horrible problem is that it has had a dash rattle/squeak from day one. At first I thought it was in and around the dash cluster, but I also thought it could be the plastic defroster vents (oh how I hate plastic).

I noticed that the noise was prevalent when the dash was hot from the sun and then it would die down as the AC cooled the car. Eventually, it would go away completely when the car was cooled down. So this definitely has to do with heat expansion.

So one day, I got in the car and immediately turned all the AC to the defroster vents. The noise went away in less than 1 minute instead of the usual 10 minutes. I was able to repeat this time after time.

So with that info, I went to the dealership. I was sure it was related to the plastic defrost vents. They removed the plastic defrost vents and the center vent that pops up, but the noise remained.

I asked them not to disassemble the car any further because I had a bad experience once when a dealer took a new car apart like this....actually had to have my car replaced by that dealer.

So in a few months, it will be cold and this won't be a problem. But I wanted to describe and it and show it here to see if anyone has a suggestion or perhaps someone had a similar issue.

Synopsis:
Dash rattle near instrument cluster and defrost vents when car is hot.
Goes away eventually with AC on (in about 10 minutes)
Goes away immediately with defrost running (in about 2 minutes)
Removal of center vent and defrost vents didn't resolve.
Have tried to push down and lift up on dash cluster...no change

Video

Old 08-28-2016, 04:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 362 Posts

Could it be a windscreen or dash fitment issue, causing the two to rub slightly with the normal flexing of the vehicle? If the defrost vents pumping out cold air speeds up the cessation then as you have already tested without the vent covers and centre vents (and speaker cover) it seems to fit.

The fix could be as simple as removing the windscreen, applying cloth tape to any contact surfaces and refitting the glass. If you get the windscreen removed make sure they refit it correctly as the top edge must be either completely level with or slightly lower than the roof panel and must never be higher or you will get wind howling at speed.

With the screen out I personally would have the seats out and lift the dash/instrument panel off the bulkhead and apply cloth tape to the other mating surfaces. Taking the entire dash out of the F-Type is not that hard to do, and it is possible to put it back without messing up the car. I've had the dash out on my F-Type and my X351 and they are almost trivial to realign compared to the last generation which were a total pain (X350, X-Type). JLR have greatly improved their assembly processes over the last ten years. (I wouldn't want mine to be the first one a tech worked on, but if they've done it before and follow the Jaguar instructions to the letter I wouldn't be too concerned.)

Just in case, check your mirror cover is securely mounted and cannot rattle. You can temporarily remove it to see if the noise remains. Also try taking off the cover for the humidity sensor next to the mirror.

Old 08-28-2016, 06:06 PM
Received 400 Likes on 211 Posts

I had something similar but I was able to pinpoint it the glove box hinges not being attached correctly. The good thing is that you have it documented and recorded.

Old 08-28-2016, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Does it make that sound when the climate control is turned off? (Fan stopped).
Does it only make that sound when the car is in motion?

Old 08-29-2016, 01:30 PM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

Sounds like the fan intermittently hitting something.

Old 08-29-2016, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckingham
Sounds like the fan intermittently hitting something.
That's how it sounded to me.

Old 08-29-2016, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member

Reach under the passenger footwell and unplug the blower motor. Does it still make the noise?

Old 08-30-2016, 06:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for the info and suggestions.

Thanks all.

If the climate system is powered off, the noise remains. Louder of course since there is no other noise.

Xdave! You have me freaked out man! I can't imagine them disecting my baby like that (but this noise sucks for sure).
Anyone think it could be the instrument cluster? Perhaps it needs to be tightened?

Old 08-30-2016, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member

I do accept I am in the minority of owners who enjoy taking their cars to bits as well as driving them, but a competent technician can have it out and refitted without issue.

You do want a firmer diagnosis first though. Ask your dealer to do a NVH test where they stick little microphones around the car and engine bay to try and position the noise. A stethoscope could also help. I'd start with the lower windscreen to see if you can hear it clearly.

You can check if the dash/IP is secured tightly by popping off the end panels. IIRC remove the door seal then pull out the front then pull forward. Check the A pillar trims too.

Old 08-31-2016, 01:30 AM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

Fan is never off for air circulation. It could be an unbalanced fan that stabilizes had higher speed.

Old 08-31-2016, 06:19 AM
Veteran Member

Unhingd posted this photo on a different thread, showing the view above the passenger footwell. Unplug the connector on the blower housing and see if it makes any difference. It's the one with the red, white and blue wires. Unplug with the ignition off, and be sure to tell the service advisor that the motor was briefly disconnected and note the mileage so they can disregard the DTC it will flag if they need to diagnose it further.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
WSM-X152-412-01-Blower Motor.pdf (150.7 KB, 138 views)