F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to adjust the hood forward?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2023 | 08:45 PM
|
Default How to adjust the hood forward?

Long story short, my hood alignment is so far off now that it started to catch my door while opening and closing the door.

how do i adjust it forward?

Long story:

pick up the car in April and the alignment was fine, it slowly started to go south with each hood opening and closing, to the point where the wheel arch part of the hood were a few millimeters below the fender and bumper.

Tried adjusting the easy ones like bolts on top of the bumper, headlight bolts and the bump stops, helped with the arch gap but everything else were out of whack.

Left it there waiting for a day to have the bumper adjusted, which i thought was the problem (already crawled under the car to loosen the 2 bolts that allowed aft and forward motion, to my surprise it was already in the fore most position, with one screw missing)

Until this morning the door catches the hood and scraped a bit of paint off. Now i realized the problem is actually the hood itself. Not sure how or why but the hood is at least a good 5mm too close aft (towards the windshield), evidently by the hood to bumper gap, if i didn’t adjust the bumper all the way in towards the windshield, that gap would be enough to swallow my average index finger.

Old 07-07-2023 | 09:21 PM
Veteran Member

Been there done that! No T-shirt though.
Not to clear the door opening, but just to get all the various panels (hood, bumper and doors) aligned a bit better.
You can move the hood forward (towards the front bumper and away from the doors and windscreen) by loosening the nuts on the hood strut mounting bolts, moving the hood a little, then tightening those muts up.
Four bolts on each strut mounting plate, with nuts on them (you loosen the nuts),16 mm IIRC.
Loosen those nuts then slide the hood forward just a little (ie down with the hood open) then tighten the nuts back up again.
Pro tip # 1 - loosen/undo the six 10 mm bolts across the top of the bumper FIRST so you can move the bumper forward a little in case the repositioned hood now is too tight / rubs on the bumper.
Pro tip # 2 - the hood strut mounting nuts are covered with black plastic hex covers which you need to remove to loosen the mounting nuts. They look like nuts but they are just covers, a gentle twist and pull and off they come.
Pro tip # 3 - this is a difficult job to do on your lonesome but just doable (ask me how I know!) as the hood is awkward to control and hold in place while you do up the mounting bolts, much easier with two people, one to hold the hood in place while the other does up the nuts.
Pro tip # 4 - loosen the nuts just a little, just enough so that the hood can move. If you loosen them too much the hood is harder to control and wants to slide all over the shop, ask me how I know!

Last edited by OzXFR; 07-07-2023 at 09:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DJS (07-08-2023)
Old 07-07-2023 | 09:37 PM
|

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Been there done that! No T-shirt though.
Not to clear the door opening, but just to get all the various panels (hood, bumper and doors) aligned a bit better.
You can move the hood forward (towards the front bumper and away from the doors and windscreen) by loosening the nuts on the hood strut mounting bolts, moving the hood a little, then tightening those muts up.
Four bolts on each strut mounting plate, with nuts on them (you loosen the nuts),16 mm IIRC.
Loosen those nuts then slide the hood forward just a little (ie down with the hood open) then tighten the nuts back up again.
Pro tip # 1 - loosen/undo the six 10 mm bolts across the top of the bumper FIRST so you can move the bumper forward a little in case the repositioned hood now is too tight / rubs on the bumper.
Pro tip # 2 - the hood strut mounting nuts are covered with black plastic hex covers which you need to remove to loosen the mounting nuts. They look like nuts but they are just covers, a gentle twist and pull and off they come.
Pro tip # 3 - this is a difficult job to do on your lonesome but just doable (ask me how I know!) as the hood is awkward to control and hold in place while you do up the mounting bolts, much easier with two people, one to hold the hood in place while the other does up the nuts.
Pro tip # 4 - loosen the nuts just a little, just enough so that the hood can move. If you loosen them too much the hood is harder to control and wants to slide all over the shop, ask me how I know!

thank you thank you thank you🙏

will try and bring back good news!

Old 07-07-2023 | 10:41 PM

Attached is the hood alignment procedure.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Fender Align.pdf (1.35 MB, 49 views)
Old 07-08-2023 | 11:52 AM
|

Originally Posted by Thunder Dump
Attached is the hood alignment procedure.
thanks! I was referencing this doc but didn’t think the problem was the hood!

Old 07-16-2023 | 07:48 PM
|

Finally did it today, moved the hood all the way forward and adjusted bumper and headlight accordingly.

Hood is slightly too far forward now (hood gap to door a bit larger than fender gap to door.)

it looks better now and closes easier, but something is still wrong somewhere.

I’m suspecting it’s the headlight and bumper, gonna mess with when i install the front view camera.

Old 07-16-2023 | 11:14 PM

🙏