F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to black chrome exhaust tips?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 10:43 PM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts
Question How to black chrome exhaust tips?

I have recently been playing with the idea of blackening the 4 exhaust tips.
I have covered mine temporarily in heat shrink sleeving to see if I liked the idea of black tips. The sleeving gives a matte appearance and I'm liking the look of them along with the Piano Black badges, but think black chrome will look better.

Whilst trawling the web for different rim designs available for the F-Type I spotted these black chrome tips...

My questions are; Once the weld is ground and the st/steel sleeve is removed, what process is required to get these black. Is it an electrical plating process perhaps...and could it be done DIY?

Old 01-02-2017, 12:44 PM
Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

If I wanted to do it myself, I would lightly sand them to help adhesion, and spray paint them with a high-temp paint. Rust Oleum has a matte black enamel spray paint that goes to 2000F. VHT makes some neat glossy colored high temp paints too.

I'm sure you could get a local motorcycle shop to do it for $100.

PS: I love the wheels in that photo.

Old 01-02-2017, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

If you want to try electroplating, Caswell Plating has a "Black Chrome" process, but it is not as simple as the high temp paint. Depends on how much time/money you want to spend.

Old 01-03-2017, 12:23 AM
Tel

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not sure, but I think the ones in the picture are Black Chromed? Is that finish available out of spray can?

The wheels...yes, I have been searching for about a month for wheels that suit my eye and more importantly suit the car.
These are the closets I've found that suit my eye, but like many manufactures, made in the US and would cost a fortune to ship.

Last edited by Tel; 01-03-2017 at 12:26 AM.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

Any finish that comes from a spray can will be just that, a spray finish. It will eventually burn or scratch off, especially on a chrome finish. Exhaust tips are especially vulnerable to loss of spray paint finish. I have tried too many times to refinish a set, only t o have them show me up, just before a 'Show'. "BUSTED!

Old 01-03-2017, 12:42 PM
Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Tel
The wheels...yes, I have been searching for about a month for wheels that suit my eye and more importantly suit the car.
These are the closest I've found that suit my eye, but like many manufactures, made in the US and would cost a fortune to ship.
As I'm in the US, would you kindly tell me who that manufacturer is? I love them.

Old 01-03-2017, 02:50 PM
Tel

Originally Posted by SamtheSham
Any finish that comes from a spray can will be just that, a spray finish. It will eventually burn or scratch off, especially on a chrome finish. Exhaust tips are especially vulnerable to loss of spray paint finish. I have tried too many times to refinish a set, only t o have them show me up, just before a 'Show'. "BUSTED!

Yep, agreed. Black chrome is the way forward I think for durability and finish, just haven't found anywhere this side of the pond that does it...yet.

The wheels are at COR Wheels Jaguar Gallery Featuring Custom Fitment Rims and called Turbina concaves...please don't; buy as set as I want some :-)

Old 05-23-2017, 03:59 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Tel
I have recently been playing with the idea of blackening the 4 exhaust tips.
I have covered mine temporarily in heat shrink sleeving to see if I liked the idea of black tips. The sleeving gives a matte appearance and I'm liking the look of them along with the Piano Black badges, but think black chrome will look better.

Whilst trawling the web for different rim designs available for the F-Type I spotted these black chrome tips...

My questions are; Once the weld is ground and the st/steel sleeve is removed, what process is required to get these black. Is it an electrical plating process perhaps...and could it be done DIY?
Are you positive removing the exhaust tips requires grinding / welding? My local body shop told me they could powder coat the tips without any welding.

Old 05-23-2017, 11:44 AM
Tel

I believe the tubular tips or shrouds are secured to the exhaust by a small 'spot weld' that needs to be ground down enough to enable them to be removed. It appears to be ion the 6 o'clock position.

If your body shop can do it in situ, I would love to know how they do it

Old 05-23-2017, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Tel
I believe the tubular tips or shrouds are secured to the exhaust by a small 'spot weld' that needs to be ground down enough to enable them to be removed. It appears to be ion the 6 o'clock position.

If your body shop can do it in situ, I would love to know how they do it
What do you mean by "situ"?

Old 05-23-2017, 02:01 PM
Tel

In it's original position, i.e not removed.

Old 05-23-2017, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Tel
In it's original position, i.e not removed.
Nope.. definitely has to come off. I guess there is a weld spot. No big deal though.

Old 05-26-2017, 02:48 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There are plenty of companies offering to black chrome in UK. Just Google it!

Old 05-26-2017, 04:05 PM
Received 241 Likes on 173 Posts

Black exhaust tips rock! Mine were ceramic coated, gives a durable matte finish. Did need to have the spot weld cut and reattached after coating.

Old 05-27-2017, 12:19 AM
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Chawumba
Black exhaust tips rock! Mine were ceramic coated, gives a durable matte finish. Did need to have the spot weld cut and reattached after coating.

Mmmm HREs...
Where in socal are you? Who did the ceramic coating and what was the turn around time? I like the look a lot.

Old 05-27-2017, 09:40 AM
Received 241 Likes on 173 Posts

I cheated and bought my car this way, but previous owner was a fan of TAG Motorsports in Vista, may want to check with them.

Old 05-27-2017, 02:00 PM
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Haha, looks great either way. I'll give them a call...

Old 01-03-2019, 12:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chawumba

Hello,
I want to change the exhaust tips on my F Type R to black. Can you tell me what you mean by ceramic coating? Where would you get this done. I live in Vancouver BC. Thanks, Rob

Old 01-03-2019, 11:33 AM
Received 253 Likes on 171 Posts

Look into Cerakote as well.

Old 01-03-2019, 10:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks very much, great idea. Rob