F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How did you find your F-Type?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2022, 12:34 PM
Received 136 Likes on 110 Posts
Default How did you find your F-Type?

I live in Southern California, where it's always been car crazy, but somewhat surprisingly, that doesn't seem to extend to the F-Type. I think in the last 10 years, I've seen maybe 3-4 F-Types on the road. I've made it worse on myself by not wanting a white or black car, which seems to constitute about 95% of them. I've been using three sites, AutoTempest, AutoTrader, and CarMax. Somewhat interestingly, many various brand dealerships occasionally have used F-types, but don't bother advertising, so it makes locating them tough. I also periodically check the local Jag dealership sites within driving distance but what's there is most often base models (I'm looking for either an S or even R, with preferably some factory warranty remaining, so 2017+).

While the US is huge, I further limited myself by not really wanting to fly anywhere to drive a car home, but enough about me... So yeah, how did you find your F-Type? I'm curious if I'm overlooking any additional resources (and yes, I did check the classifieds here, and in the entries for SoCal are only "car wanted" ads, hah.

Last edited by kb58; 04-09-2022 at 12:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Nodnarb (04-11-2022)
Old 04-09-2022, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 257 Posts

This site has both new and used F-Types, some in CA.

New Inventory | Jaguar USA

The following 2 users liked this post by CJSJAG:
kb58 (04-09-2022), walko789 (04-11-2022)
Old 04-09-2022, 01:03 PM

Oh very cool, thank you! I had been wondering that, about why doesn't the main Jaguar site have a listing for all used F-Types in its system... dunno how I missed it. Thanks again!

Old 04-09-2022, 01:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 589 Likes on 402 Posts

You'll probably find more cars at dealers (JLR and other) at cars.com. There are currently 400+ F-Types listed.
For private sellers, I prefer autotrader.com which you have on your list.

Cars.com is where I found mine. I've done the fly/drive home routine 4 times and really never had a problem. (Although, it was a long wait on the 911, because my wife picked it up and drove it for a week while she was rehearsing for a concert before driving home.) I've always found sellers (private & dealer) willing to pick me up from the airport.

kb58 (04-09-2022)
Old 04-09-2022, 02:03 PM

AutoTempest links to several other search engines, including cars.com. Sometimes it does seem quirky though, sometimes finding a lot of matches, then later, very few. I'll check out cars.com directly, and thank you!

Old 04-09-2022, 02:46 PM
Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

I found mine on Autotrader. While searching I compiled a list of sites that had cars listed for sale. Many of the sites let you setup email alerts and will email you when a car that matches your criteria is found. These are in no particular order. I have no affiliation with any of them. Good luck with your search.

www.autotrader.com
www.cars.com
www.carfax.com
www.truecar.com
www.cargurus.com
www.edmunds.com
www.kbb.com
www.carsforsale.com
www.carsdirect.com
www.autotempest.com
www.vroom.com
www.iseecars.com
www.autolist.com
www.autonation.com
www.autoblog.com
www.carstory.com
www.auto.com
www.carvana.com
www.carmax.com
www.drivetime.com
www.carshop.com
www.bringatrailer.com

The following 2 users liked this post by cpq100:
Carbuff2 (04-09-2022), cwisenheimer (04-11-2022)
Old 04-09-2022, 02:53 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I just went through this process (looking for F-Type R+, non black/white, cpo preferred). The Jaguar dealer search for certified vehicles and cargurus were the two main ones I used - basically just checked every day and waited for a good one to come up.

Totally get the not wanting to fly to a place to buy a car, but if you open your search up to a hundred or two miles around your location, I bet something will pop up. Good luck!

Carbuff2 (04-10-2022)
Old 04-09-2022, 06:59 PM
Received 177 Likes on 97 Posts

I created a spreadsheet tracking various sites like Autotrader and Cars.com on a regular basis, listing up price, mileage, and options to get an idea of what's out there and what a fair price would be.
It was a few months until I was ready to pull the trigger and in that time I got very familiar with how to identify what options a particular car has based on small details in the listing photos.

Old 04-09-2022, 07:16 PM
Obi
Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Just went through this about 2 weeks ago. Mainly used Carfax and cargurus. There was quite a few in california…. Granted the state is enormous.

If color is a problem, maybe get one and have it painted lol

Old 04-09-2022, 07:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

I ordered mine to my own specs and waited while they built it. If that's not an option, check CarMax. I was helping someone get a car there and the local lot had three lease return F-Types. I'm assuming they were lease returns because all were three years old. A quick check on there site shows 15. About half are either white or very dark, but I see some other colors, including a Firesand R.

walko789 (04-11-2022)
Old 04-09-2022, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by lizzardo
... I see some other colors, including a Firesand R.
Grrr, yes you did, and until a couple hours ago, it was reserved in my name

Here's my sad story. Was seriously interested, they reserved it in my name, and I continued researching. Turns out that the Jaguar factory warranty ends, get this, eight days from now. So I ignorantly thought that I could use that to my advantage (keep in mind that CarMax is a "no-negotiate" dealership chain.) I called and asked, "I assume that when CarMax sets the price of a car, they take into account whether it's currently covered by the manufacturer's warranty, right?" They said no!

They said it plays no part in the price they set. I can't imagine any business that doesn't differentiate between two otherwise identical products, one with a warranty, and the other, not. I got annoyed and said:
It's amazing that it's not taken into account; I can't fathom a business model that wouldn't, but so be it. Between the price already being at the top end of comparable models, the mileage, not having any factory warranty remaining, the expense of adding an aftermarket warranty, and paying to have it shipped out here, I regretfully have to step back from this deal.
Trying to put that behind me, grrr, but I"m over it, really.

Last edited by kb58; 04-10-2022 at 09:34 AM.
Old 04-09-2022, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by kb58
Grrr, yes you did, and until a couple hours ago, it was reserved for me!

[...]

Trying to put that behind me, grrr, but I"m over it, really.
Yes, at CarMax they do have a set price and that's that. Since the used market is somewhere between "bonkers" and "bat-**** crazy" right now, I wish you luck in your search. I have a NA/6 Miata that I should probably sell, but two years ago was worth about $4500 at the high end. I saw one go on eBay recently for $10K. The smart thing would be to do the brakes and put a new soft top on (it's got the hard top) and sell it before summer. Not that I'm know for doing "the smart thing" but it's an option.

Old 04-09-2022, 08:24 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Posted an ISO ad on CL cars for sale section on the largest market CL in my area, Cost me $5 per month but netted me a nice private party f-type t a reasonable price. Wrote the ad such that a potential seller looking to change cars would see a serious buyer, with cash in hand ready to buy and only willing to complete the transaction face to face -no scams on either side. There are a lot of people out there that would love to sell their cars privately, for more money than the dealer will give them in trade, as long as they know it isn't going to cost them a lot of time and they can do it without risk of scam. Also helps that their car is going to a good home, not some dealer's lot for 20% more than the trade value.

Old 04-09-2022, 09:03 PM
Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

Just get it wrapped. That's what I did.

Old 04-09-2022, 09:04 PM

One more thing about CarMax and used car prices right now. I got a sell quote from CarMax for one of our cars and it was roughly $29K. That was two weeks ago. Ran another check a couple days ago and now it's $26K. Not sure what's with that but I wonder if it's an indication of the start of the down slope out of this craziness. I'm getting off topic in my own thread...

Old 04-10-2022, 11:31 AM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

The I found last year was only listed on the dealer's site, nowhere else.

Some dealers list cars on standard sites and some don't. You have to find out which ones don't and look at their sites specifically when you are looking. Even the ones that do list multiple places, their may not update their site and the others at the same rate, so things might show up on their site first.

Old 04-10-2022, 11:58 AM
Received 257 Likes on 130 Posts

I used the Jaguar national website and auto tempest..... and got a little lucky. I found one, drove to test it....and bought it.

3 coupes were in line after me for a test drive.......two likely to buy if in the car.

On the firesand, I'd have gone after it and gotten a carmax warranty...supposed (doug demuro) they are amazing warranties.

Old 04-10-2022, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
... On the firesand, I'd have gone after it and gotten a carmax warranty...supposed (doug demuro) they are amazing warranties.
I admit to getting a little emotional/illogical on it, but for them to not factor in whether a car has a manufacturers warranty just blew me away. I guess I just don't believe them, and suspect that they said that because they knew that I was going to try and get them to reduce the total cost out the door. It'll be interesting to see if the price magically drops after April 17 when the Jag warranty expires.

My drama aside, it still seems like an overly expensive car to me. I see F-Type Rs listed on Jag dealer websites as CPOs, which means they have at least a 12-month warranty, it's been checked out by people who know what they're looking at, they have lower mileage, the asking price is lower, and buyers can very likely negotiate an even lower price. Or I may not be thinking logically about this one and am completely wrong. I'm still new at searching for these... in your opinion, is that a fair price?

Old 04-10-2022, 12:26 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

As has been said many times before - a car (or anythng else, really) is worth what someone is prepared to pay for it (subject to the seller thinking they're getting what they think it's worth). You thought it was too much, so for you, it's overpriced. When F-Types sit on the lot for months without shifting - that's when you know they're overpriced!

walko789 (04-11-2022)
Old 04-10-2022, 01:26 PM
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

My search was a lengthy one. Over a year, and I used that time also to plant the seeds with my wife of owning a totally impractical purchase. We already had a convertible in her 2012 Mazda Miata. But let’s face it; a 4 cylinder go-cart like car is not even in the same ballpark as an F-Type. I wanted a car I could travel in comfort down to 30A where we own a condo. The Miata is just too cramped for a multi hour trip like that (6 hours). Yeah truck space in a convertible F-Type is minimal, but since we have stuff at the condo, truck space isn’t that much of a bother.

I used AutoTrader, iseecars, cars.com and visited the JLR dealer sites weekly (some times multiple times a week) for inventory and pricing checks. I did check Craigslist occasionally, but didn’t find it to be very productive as I was seeking a car with at least half of the warranty intact.

I paid more than I wanted for my car, but did find that it wasn’t horribly overpriced for the car. It had very low miles, R model, lots of upgrades paid for buy the original owner (I am the 2nd owner) and the car was “As new” in appearance. I rationalized about the price by reminding myself that I can’t take money with me on that final journey waiting for us all at the end.

The following 3 users liked this post by Mark7Seven:
SouthSider (04-10-2022), walko789 (04-11-2022), woohoo (04-10-2022)

Quick Reply: How did you find your F-Type?