F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How did you make your deal on a MY2016 ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015 | 12:05 AM
|
Default How did you make your deal on a MY2016 ?

Just wondering what experience you had in negotiating a price on MY2016?
1) The old fashioned way, research what you want then walk into a dealer and negotiate on an inventory car, or custom order.
2) Request a quote through the Jaguar USA website after configuring a car.
3) Used a web search site like Cars.com, or Edmunds, or...
4) Search out of state and contact the "internet manager," a cold call or note.
5) Something else.

In my case 3 dealers are close enough and I have no preference nor experience with any of them. also distance is not factor. My location is Denver. Any feedback on the above, or recommendations/experience for Denver area? Or something else like out of state.

Old 05-12-2015 | 05:10 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mjm3457
Just wondering what experience you had in negotiating a price on MY2016?
1) The old fashioned way, research what you want then walk into a dealer and negotiate on an inventory car, or custom order.
2) Request a quote through the Jaguar USA website after configuring a car.
3) Used a web search site like Cars.com, or Edmunds, or...
4) Search out of state and contact the "internet manager," a cold call or note.
5) Something else.

In my case 3 dealers are close enough and I have no preference nor experience with any of them. also distance is not factor. My location is Denver. Any feedback on the above, or recommendations/experience for Denver area? Or something else like out of state.
Add to all of those above , the use of the AAA buying service to get a discount certificate for proving the available deals. Armed with all that info, I went in to 3 dealers (but all in-state) to strike the best deal.

The following users liked this post:
mjm3457 (05-12-2015)
Old 05-12-2015 | 07:56 AM

I got a $1000 discount off MSRP with no negotiation from my dealer, mostly cos I had developed a good relationship with the dealer (he also drives a Ftype).

You can get huge deals off 2014's or 2015's but doubt you'll be able to get much on a 2016. Even the JCNA discount wont work.

mjm3457 (05-12-2015)
Old 05-12-2015 | 08:42 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by f_in_seattle
I got a $1000 discount off MSRP with no negotiation from my dealer, mostly cos I had developed a good relationship with the dealer (he also drives a Ftype).

You can get huge deals off 2014's or 2015's but doubt you'll be able to get much on a 2016. Even the JCNA discount wont work.
Discounts of up to 6% have been reported on the '16s.
Here on the East Coast, the discounts appear to be deeper than West Coast or Florida. Probably because hardly anybody buys anything but SUVs. Around here you might see at most a handful of sports cars a week. The last one I saw was an Infiniti coupe (if you can call it a sports car) a couple days ago. Pretty boring.

Last edited by Unhingd; 05-12-2015 at 08:48 AM.
mjm3457 (05-12-2015)
Old 05-12-2015 | 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by lhoboy
Here on the East Coast, the discounts appear to be deeper than West Coast or Florida. Probably because hardly anybody buys anything but SUVs. Around here you might see at most a handful of sports cars a week. The last one I saw was an Infiniti coupe (if you can call it a sports car) a couple days ago. Pretty boring.
possibly, the dealers on the east coast might also be bigger dealers with lots of inventory. The dealer I bought my car from (admittedly not the biggest dealer in this area) told me he only sells 7-8 Ftypes a year so he doesn't need to deeply discount them to move his inventory. I saw the invoice price of my car and knew he didn't make a huge killing off my car.

Old 05-12-2015 | 09:08 AM
Veteran Member

I'll say this, suffice it to say we'd all like the biggest discount possible but once you get yourself behind the wheel of your F-Type all considerations of what discount you did or didn't get are long forgotten.

To answer the OP, I did a quick internet search, contacted 3 dealers in total - although I greatly preferred giving the business to my local dealer - and test drove an overly-optioned brand new 2015 V6S Coupe with an MSRP of $91,700 + destination and deliver of $925 for a total of $92,625. I fell in deep lust and couldn't resist or the offer of a selling price, which includes $449 documentation charges, of $82,424. An 11% savings. Not bad considering I purchased it mid-October. Of course winter was coming and I'm sure the dealer wanted to sell it before the onset.

Good luck!

Last edited by RickyJay52; 05-12-2015 at 09:11 AM.
mjm3457 (05-12-2015)
Old 05-12-2015 | 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by lhoboy
i concur. i rarely see any kind of sports cars in normal driving around here in philly. i think high performance cars will sit for longer up here than in climates that are nice/drivable 365 days a year.

Old 05-12-2015 | 09:38 AM
Veteran Member

"Nice" and "Drivable" are too different things Shaun; and nobody got a better deal than you on your F-Type!!! It's not always "nice" up here in Maine - although it's always beautiful - and while it might not be 365 days of driveability, I put in far more miles this last, brutal, winter, than I previously imagined. In other words, the F-Type is more capable of winter conditions than many probably think...in my opinion. Provided one doesn't drive like a nut-job, or care about snow, ice, salt, sand (within reason), the F-Type will do fine.

This all said, I do agree to your and Lance's point.

Old 05-12-2015 | 09:43 AM

Wait until later in the model year to get a better deal (that's what I am doing). I have always gotten better deals by ordering through the fleet manager rather than purchasing from the show room floor through a salesman. Walking into a showroom and purchasing through a salesman who works on commission will get you the worst deal.

mjm3457 (05-12-2015)
Old 05-12-2015 | 10:03 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SoCalJagS
Wait until later in the model year to get a better deal (that's what I am doing). I have always gotten better deals by ordering through the fleet manager rather than purchasing from the show room floor through a salesman. Walking into a showroom and purchasing through a salesman who works on commission will get you the worst deal...
Typically that will work best except very few (if any) Jaguar dealers have fleet managers.

Best way as always is to email 2-3 dealers specifically detailing what car/options you're interested in and let them fight each other BEFORE you ever set foot in a dealership because once you do that,emotions take over and you've lost your best chance at a great deal.

mjm3457 (05-12-2015)
Old 05-12-2015 | 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
"Nice" and "Drivable" are too different things Shaun ... In other words, the F-Type is more capable of winter conditions than many probably think...in my opinion. Provided one doesn't drive like a nut-job, or care about snow, ice, salt, sand (within reason), the F-Type will do fine.
very true! mine already sits outside and i'm not afraid of a little salt and/or snow - it was showing the day i took the car home from the dealer. with proper snow tires and snow/ice mode selected the car will be just fine during winter conditions; however, i think the majority of people in the NE will see the car as a fair weather car and will store it for the winter. i think this does lend to the added inventory on lots up here compared to places like FL and CA and our ability to negotiate a little more on pricing.

Old 05-12-2015 | 12:43 PM

I did a multistate search and using their websites (which coincidentally I helped build) I just made inquiries to each one. Copy/paste. I asked what they would offer on a custom order Coupe R with such and such options. About half just came back with MSRP or worse, markup. These you know are the dealers that will be a pain to deal with. The other half had various amounts of discounts. The two best in the Western half of the US, oddly enough, where in Colorado. One in CO Springs, the other in Denver. I ultimately went with Sill-Terhar Jaguar. They offered a pretty good discount at the time and I didn't even have to go back and forth with them. I took their first offer and then added on the JCNA discount on top of that. They also gave a nice delivery gift.

Edit: Edit:
So you don't have enough posts for a PM yet. So here's the info again.

Give Steven Leonard a call there and as the cliche goes, tell em Jason Harbaugh sent you. I bet he could work out a nice deal. The dealership is out near Flatirons.

Last edited by LynxFX; 05-12-2015 at 12:50 PM.
mjm3457 (05-12-2015)
Old 05-12-2015 | 02:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
Provided one doesn't drive like a nut-job, or care about snow, ice, salt, sand (within reason), the F-Type will do fine.
I do care about the salt. That's why I have a pressure washer I connect up to the hot side of the utility sink and drive all my vehicles (motorcycles included) through the entirety of the year. (motorcycles not on snow/ice, though).

Old 05-12-2015 | 02:51 PM
|

Originally Posted by LynxFX
The two best in the Western half of the US, oddly enough, where in Colorado. One in CO Springs, the other in Denver. I ultimately went with Sill-Terhar Jaguar. They offered a pretty good discount at the time and I didn't even have to go back and forth with them. I took their first offer and then added on the JCNA discount on top of that. They also gave a nice delivery gift.

Edit: Edit:
So you don't have enough posts for a PM yet. So here's the info again.

Give Steven Leonard a call there and as the cliche goes, tell em Jason Harbaugh sent you. I bet he could work out a nice deal. The dealership is out near Flatirons.

I have bought quite a few cars in my day, but this will be my first Jaguar, and I had no idea what a good deal might look like; this Forum has helped a lot. Usually I use method 1) although I did buy one BMW using method 4). I've used the Jaguar Configurator and built the car I want. I've also done my homework on Edmunds and the AAA websites, and will take the first test drive tomorrow. I have to go into a dealer to do this; I'd never buy a car without one, but won't let him be a tar baby. Then comes the next step, assuming I'm convinced about the car.

LynxFX, Jason, your reply was most helpful. Your method was what I planned to do, but just for the 3 in-state dealers to begin. You've reinforced that. Even better, you mentioned Steven Leonard. I met him last month at the Denver Auto Show, and then drove up to Sill-Terhar to test drive a 2007 Aston Martin he had available. It was a great car in many ways, but not exactly what I wanted. I think the F-Type is the car I'm looking for, and tomorrow's test drive should tell me. Thank you, I much appreciate your input and will use your name should I proceed.

All replies have been helpful. Thanks to all.

LynxFX (05-12-2015)
Old 05-12-2015 | 02:57 PM
Veteran Member

I have bought quite a few cars in my day, but this will be my first Jaguar, and I had no idea what a good deal might look like; this Forum has helped a lot. Usually I use method 1) although I did buy one BMW using method 4). I've used the Jaguar Configurator and built the car I want. I've also done my homework on Edmunds and the AAA websites, and will take the first test drive tomorrow. I have to go into a dealer to do this; I'd never buy a car without one, but won't let him be a tar baby. Then comes the next step, assuming I'm convinced about the car.

LynxFX, Jason, your reply was most helpful. Your method was what I planned to do, but just for the 3 in-state dealers to begin. You've reinforced that. Even better, you mentioned Steven Leonard. I met him last month at the Denver Auto Show, and then drove up to Sill-Terhar to test drive a 2007 Aston Martin he had available. It was a great car in many ways, but not exactly what I wanted. I think the F-Type is the car I'm looking for, and tomorrow's test drive should tell me. Thank you, I much appreciate your input and will use your name should I proceed.

It's all over but the signing.....

LynxFX (05-12-2015)
Old 05-12-2015 | 04:08 PM

No problem mjm! I only mentioned him because you are literally next door and they were easy to work with. Funny that you already met the guy. I flew a thousand miles to go get my car. The only thing I would recommend getting from them is the clear bra. You could probably find a local installer for cheaper than what they'll negotiate for.

I also wanted an AM and test drove quite a few. The sound is amazing but the performance isn't. The Jag blew it away in all aspects other than badge. You no doubt will love it when you drive it.

Old 05-12-2015 | 05:05 PM
Veteran Member

Maintain a firm grip on both the body and nozzle of the Fire Extinguisher. When the Sales Exectutive indicates that they're ready to agree your Price, use the Fire Extinguisher for its intended purpose.

Simple...

The following 2 users liked this post by F-typical:
mjm3457 (05-12-2015)
Old 05-14-2015 | 11:49 PM
|

Originally Posted by F-typical
Maintain a firm grip on both the body and nozzle of the Fire Extinguisher. When the Sales Exectutive indicates that they're ready to agree your Price, use the Fire Extinguisher for its intended purpose.

Simple...
I took my test drive yesterday in Colorado Springs; the car was a 2015 Model S, slightly used, 2600 miles on the odo. It wasn't nearly the car I'd order. Luckily, I didn't have to use the fire extinguisher; we didn't talk price. But he offered me a great deal if I'd take that car. I showed no interest; he backed off immediately.

The test drive was convincing and RickyJay52, "it's all over but the signing," but that will wait for another day. I have a little more homework to do on options, and then will apply the methodology. I'll update the thread when I have something significant to report.

Old 05-15-2015 | 02:28 AM
Veteran Member

I took my test drive yesterday in Colorado Springs; the car was a 2015 Model S, slightly used, 2600 miles on the odo. It wasn't nearly the car I'd order. Luckily, I didn't have to use the fire extinguisher; we didn't talk price. But he offered me a great deal if I'd take that car. I showed no interest; he backed off immediately.

The test drive was convincing and RickyJay52, "it's all over but the signing," but that will wait for another day. I have a little more homework to do on options, and then will apply the methodology. I'll update the thread when I have something significant to report.
Your mind has already done what your hand will soon do - whether or not you're "master of your domain" - and allow me to be the first to congratulate you on your new purchase and acquisition. Today, tomorrow, or even the next day.

That's what I would call fait accompli

Old 05-22-2015 | 09:45 PM
|

Here is how the story has ended; my configuration was ordered today. My method? Via email, I sent details on the car I wanted to two of the 3 dealer reps I had previously met and spoke with, but ran out of time to get one off to the third that day. I had an immediate response (30 minutes literally) from one with a very good discount, already better than I expected on the first pass. A very encouraging start. The next day dealer 2 sent a bid which was not as good. I was still cogitating my next move when he called later that day to follow up. I told him his offer was not competitive. His immediate response was, "Give me another chance, I'll get back to you today." His second bid was a winner, and so I took it when weighting other considerations like location and convenience.

I have bought quite a few cars in my lifetime, but I've never bought a Jaguar. So I was in uncharted waters, except for what I gleaned from you on the Forum. Here's what I learned, or re-learned as the case may be. 1) Jaguar dealers need to sell cars just like any other dealer. 2) You the buyer has the upper hand because you have the money to purchase their product. 3) They get bonuses and kick-backs from the factory for every car they sell, just like other marques. 4) Comments like "Jaguar dealers don't discount, or can't discount," and "Jaguars have pretty thin margins so we can't discount much," is just sales speak. Yes they can depending on how motivated they are to sell a car. 5) Dealers have quotas for selling cars established by Jaguar called allocations, and they also set internal monthly quotas for themselves. If they are running behind their targets near the end of the month, they may be more willing to discount deeper to meet a monthly quota. You've heard all this before. 6) There is no difference between a lot car or an ordered car, a sale is a sale. If they tell you it does, that's just more "sales speak." This does not include new hold-over lot cars, such as new 2014 and 2015 models which are still unsold when the new model year cars are being released, the MY 2016 in this case. For those you should expect a deeper discount, as others have noted. 7) Forum members have indicated discounts of $1000 off, and 3% up to 6%, and even 7% off MSRP in one case on their purchases of a new F-Type. Any of this is doable from my experience. 8) Yes, this means you can buy an ordered Jaguar below Dealer Invoice, if you find a willing dealer. 9) And yes, they will make a profit on it. They will not sell a new car at a loss, unless there are some other reasons for it. One car I saw had repaired hail damage, for example. 10) Sending out specifications and requesting bids from multiple dealers is a viable procedure, as well as any other you might prefer. It is not frowned upon by reputable dealers. 11) And, buying a second car at later date from the same sales rep makes it an even more enjoyable, from my experience. Good business sense says to treat all customers well, and dealers know that. They are hoping for repeat business from you. 12) Also dealing via email and requesting bids is practical and efficient, and some telephone contact is desirable.. At a distance, or even out of state, you can make it work if you prefer to, or need to.

Finally I found the sales reps to be honest, straightforward, friendly, and even enjoyable to work with. They genuinely wanted to earn my business. It is a business proposition afterall; there's no reason for any hard feelings either way, unless he is dishonest. Besides, there may be follow-up issues with the car. Your sales rep is your man inside the dealer, and he can and should be an advocate for you when needed. If you're having a problem with a sales rep, he is probably having a problem with you. At that point it's best break it off and head in a new direction.

The following 2 users liked this post by mjm3457:
DJS (05-23-2015), jaguny (05-23-2015)

Quick Reply: How did you make your deal on a MY2016 ?