F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I disable auto start/stop?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 12:41 PM
Received 121 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by rhutch98
Does your car have Configurable Dynamics?

I plan on bring this up when I go in for a service but for sure I can confirm for my car eco stays on in dynamic mode. I can also confirm, based on my ride in to work, that although the eco button stays lit when in dynamic and manual mode it does not turnoff the engine when stopped. However when I took the car out of manual mode by holding the paddle the engine shut off.
My 2015 V6S does not have configurable dynamics, is a CA car, and eco mode is shut off when the car is put in Dynamic.

As others have pointed out, your car seems to be functioning differently, and it is probably worth having the dealer check it out.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:36 AM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a 2015 coupe.. v6 standard. my eco stays on in sport mode. i disconnected the little battery, seems like that does it... no big deal. Its so easy to do, i cannot see why you wouldn't try it... i freak out every time i come to a stop and have the impression the car is stalled.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

When I took delivery of my car, my salesperson was going through the features, and when he came to the "Eco mode" button, I told him I would ALWAYS be pushing the button to disable it. He told me, "I can't officially tell you that we reccommend this, but I have spoken to our techs, and it seems like almost everyone disconnects the second battery and simply tapes up the leads. He told me that he has confirmed this will do NOTHING to the vehicle other than disable the Eco feature. (off the record of course...)

Old 04-28-2015, 07:36 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

Would unhooking the second smaller battery and leaving it cause it to discharge or harm it in anyway? Also, would you be able to jumpstart the main battery in an emergency? Might be useful vs just removing it all together.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LynxFX
Would unhooking the second smaller battery and leaving it cause it to discharge or harm it in anyway? Also, would you be able to jumpstart the main battery in an emergency? Might be useful vs just removing it all together.

The smaller battery wouldn't be good for "jumpstarting the main battery"

I had no intention of removing the battery, just simply disconnecting it (and making sure I tape up the leads that were disconnected.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

The master mechanic at my dealer said to just take the negative off the small battery and tape it... nothing else needs to be done...
The main battery is unaffected.
Lawrence

Old 04-29-2015, 02:56 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had my small battery disconnected for seven months now, my car runs fine with no malfunctions.

If you don't like the stop start disconnect battery. Simples

Old 04-29-2015, 04:18 AM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

It's ON unless you switch to off manually on the new MY16 cars.

Also in the new models there is no second battery (also mentioned by others), just a 'module' which I guess helps shed some extra weight.

It matters not, which mode you are in.

Old 04-29-2015, 06:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Tel
It's ON unless you switch to off manually on the new MY16 cars.

Also in the new models there is no second battery (also mentioned by others), just a 'module' which I guess helps shed some extra weight.

It matters not, which mode you are in.
Even on the '14-'15 models, the eco mode light on the button may be on, but the engine often does not shut down at a stop when operating in certain ways. That is the case when you put the shifter in sport mode or paddle a down shift in automatic before a stop. Only selecting dynamic mode or pushing the eco button shuts the light off.

The only time my '14 shuts down at a stop is when I'm in automatic, non-dynamic, and I have not paddled a down-shift just before stopping. In other words, having the eco mode light on does not mean the engine is going to shut down at a full stop.

Once you've had a chance to play with your '16, I'd be interested in hearing if the same is true on 16s.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:22 AM
Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Even on the '14-'15 models, the eco mode light on the button may be on, but the engine often does not shut down at a stop when operating in certain ways. That is the case when you put the shifter in sport mode or paddle a down shift in automatic before a stop. Only selecting dynamic mode or pushing the eco button shuts the light off.

The only time my '14 shuts down at a stop is when I'm in automatic, non-dynamic, and I have not paddled a down-shift just before stopping. In other words, having the eco mode light on does not mean the engine is going to shut down at a full stop.

Once you've had a chance to play with your '16, I'd be interested in hearing if the same is true on 16s.
Anybody disable Eco start on the MY2016’s yet?

Old 05-14-2015, 01:14 PM

Bump. Looked at doing it today, but not sure that we can do on MY2016. There are quite a few wires going into the module, so it may be possible. Hoping someone has an answer.

Old 05-14-2015, 02:26 PM
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

At this point, I've just developed a routine. When I start the car after its been off for more than six hours, I drive it in normal mode with the eco mode on. After a couple of minutes, when I feel that I'm ready to drive with enthusiasm, I put the car in dynamic mode and they eco mode goes off as a byproduct.
If I drove the car within a few hours, then I'm probably ready to drive hard as soon as I get in, and dynamic is still on.
I still don't like the eco mode, but I suspect my car has an electrical issue and I don't want to give them any way to blame me for it. I think my current routine is an acceptable alternative.

Old 05-14-2015, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member

I just don't get all this discussion and the accompanying angst. You have to press a button to start the car, or to put the car into dynamic mode. Those little exertions don't seem to bother anyone. Why is pressing the eco-mode button so incredibly bothersome for some?

Old 05-14-2015, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member

I just don't get all this discussion and the accompanying angst. You have to press a button to start the car, or to put the car into dynamic mode. Those little exertions don't seem to bother anyone. Why is pressing the eco-mode button so incredibly bothersome for some?
Seeing as how this is my first car without a real "key", it took me at least a week before I stopped trying to find the key and turn it off in the steering column when I had parked the car.

I also used to always reach in my pocket to get the key to unlock the door and start the car.

I'm ok with pushing a button or two. Still far easier (and more advanced) than any of my previous cars.

Old 05-14-2015, 03:13 PM

I would rather not be reminded to press the "crap" button every time I get in the car. Gives the car a negative vibe. Having it disabled and never worrying about it again is the preferred method.

On MY14 and MY15, it is such an easy thing to disable.

The following users liked this post:
BierNut (05-14-2015)
Old 05-14-2015, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LynxFX
I would rather not be reminded to press the "crap" button every time I get in the car. Gives the car a negative vibe. Having it disabled and never worrying about it again is the preferred method.

On MY14 and MY15, it is such an easy thing to disable.
One would think that it would be an easy task to default the switch from ON to OFF... reverse the leads? Change a single bit in an ECU file somewhere from 1 to 0, just disconnect the battery.... (oh wait, there is no second battery on the 2016...)

Old 05-14-2015, 03:22 PM

It's not incredibly bothersome, just bothersome. If you are happy, fine. Others don't like it. I'm just trying to see if the MY2016's can be disabled too.

I'm still in the break in period and am purposely not using the Dynamic mode.

Old 05-14-2015, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by TXJagR
One would think that it would be an easy task to default the switch from ON to OFF... reverse the leads? Change a single bit in an ECU file somewhere from 1 to 0, just disconnect the battery.... (oh wait, there is no second battery on the 2016...)
It really should be a user configurable option especially since they removed that battery.

Old 05-14-2015, 03:23 PM
Veteran Member

OK, but like I said, I don't get why it bothers you so much, and I still don't.

I've actually been leaving my car in standard auto mode with eco on the last 3 days commute days in a row, just to try to understand why it bothers people so much. However, I still don't see it because I'm in the almost automatic habit of paddling a couple of downshifts as I'm rolling to a stop. When I do that the engine never shuts off.

The few times I've remembered and left it alone, the engine shutdown has occurred, and the restart happens before I can get my foot completely off the brake. In my car, it is completely seamless.

I'm actually starting to like it . . .

Old 05-14-2015, 03:27 PM

On the V8 it is a much rougher start for the engine to kick over. In my experience it isn't seamless at all. That's the biggest reason why I disabled it.

Quick Reply: How do I disable auto start/stop?