F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you help create our "image"?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 04:54 PM
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

This thread is interesting. I saw the villain f type commercial yesterday, I guess Jaguar is trying to portray the 'good to be bad' image?

Watch this video below when you have a chance, the guy mentioned some interesting things about "image."

I am 27, I would say pretty young looking. I drive a matted V6S coupe. I honestly don't know what people say when they see me get out of my car but I am guessing it's probably something along the lines of "another spoiled kid driving his dad's car." Little do they know, I work my *** off for my things.

Doesn't bother me at all, people are going to talk no matter what. I didn't get the car to to please or try to fit in with anyone.

Doesn't matter what car I am in, I believe I drive very respectful and courteous and I always use my f - ing signal unlike other Cali drivers. Sometimes, I am in a bit of a hurry but never speed to douche status.

Last edited by tn.dn; 09-26-2016 at 06:57 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by tn.dn:
BostonKiller (09-29-2016), Uncle Fishbits (09-28-2016)
Old 09-26-2016, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by zmoothg
I am a black 32 year-old in a F-type, I am sure I am setting no stereotypes for F-type owners. And this is a super weird thread. Like a thread started on a drunken lonely light.
Making another, I think this post is a direct conduit leading to why one would think an F-Type owner could be precocious and self absorbed.

Might as well say "When I wear my $1000 Brioni suits, the looks people give me make me feel a bit self conscious."

Fishbits, you live in Marin, dude. At any given time, at a stop sign, anyone sitting next to you could be worth $10m. Enjoy your car and drive it proudly. The mere fact that people appreciate what your car looks like in no way defines you as a man, right?

There's enough other ******** that drive F's to go around. Just be yourself and therefore you can't run that risk.

I'll soon be an ******* without an F.

The F doesn't make the *******, an ******* can drive an F.

Like Bill Gates and Warren Buffet, one can be financially set and still be socially conscious and good at heart. Be you.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 09-26-2016 at 06:54 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by polarisnavyxj:
James Tootle (09-26-2016), MaximA (09-28-2016), Uncle Fishbits (09-28-2016)
Old 09-28-2016, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim F
Haven't cared much for the ensuing hoohaa, but appreciated Uncle Fishbits original post. How are F-type owners perceived relative to drivers of other models/marques?

I tend to agree with Fishbits and whether you care about it or not, your car bestows an image. Of Corvettes, Jay Leno said "you know, the nice thing about driving one is that no one gives you the finger." Where is the F-type owner on the finger-meter?
I wish people understood the word "image", in the title, in quotes was literally meant to be a sarcastic nod to the idea of "image" in general. Bah. No biggie.

Yeah. Regardless of people's belief systems and political nonsense here... I was just thinking of this, and the classic car culture of the United States. When you think of an old car.... a GTO, is it a white shirted dude with a pack of smokes rolled up? A 70s VW bug being a mousy gal with glasses? I mean, our whole car history has created crazy images behind the car, some deliberate, some earned. For me, Porsche was always the popped polo collar 80's dude.

The fact that Audi had a national multi-million dollar ad campaign appealed to drivers who love driving, but don't want to be jerks like supposed BMW drivers was interesting to me. Regardless of wanting to be the one ornery dude, there are labels and ideas applied, automatically.

Sorry to rile those who are riled. Someone said not to take it all so seriously... no one is trying to tell you what you can or cannot do. Just thought it was an interesting thought...

not *your* perception of your car, but other people's perception as the F-Type brand gets recognition and more awareness.

Cheers!

Old 09-28-2016, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mptx-ftype
You started with a fair point and took a sharp detour into utter nonsense. I too hope our small club maintains a good reputation and do my part to that end. Speak for yourself only as to luck; years of busting my *** is the reason I get to drive this beautiful machine (un-douche-ily, assuredly).
I dig it. I'm in the same boat, as far as working hard to get here. It's funny, because in industry and biz, the people who were too stupid to quit and *not* grind out 6 or 7 day weeks, 14 hours days... voila, 20 years on you're an expert, and respected. LOL

There's just incredibly systemic & bureaucratic complexities to nod to. That's all. There's plenty of people who suck the system dry, playing victim, who could be working their *** off. But there's also a bunch of people given nowhere near a fair shake, and are consistently denied opportunity. I'm not saying it has anything to do with us, nor am I saying it's as simple as black and white ("try harder" isn't the most empathetic or understanding approach).

I'm just saying the socio-political make up of the US isn't as simple as saying "Work hard and everything will be fine". It was in my case. And there's a bunch of cretins and crooks out there, trying to game the system.

But I guess I rest on a sympathetic, bleeding heart at times. It's just way more complex than a few opinions in an auto thread. Which is why I never wanted to get into that liberterian "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" crap.

I just wanted to know if the general public has an opinion about the car. That's all.

The following 2 users liked this post by Uncle Fishbits:
DJS (09-28-2016), schraderade (09-29-2016)
Old 09-28-2016, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by enderle
because I'm channeling my inner aristocrat.
Thanks Bob Saget and everyone in the documentary for changing how I think of the word aristocrat. LOL I won't even link it, but it's from one of the dirtier jokes of all time.

Old 09-28-2016, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj
Making another, I think this post is a direct conduit leading to why one would think an F-Type owner could be precocious and self absorbed.

Might as well say "When I wear my $1000 Brioni suits, the looks people give me make me feel a bit self conscious."

Fishbits, you live in Marin, dude. At any given time, at a stop sign, anyone sitting next to you could be worth $10m. Enjoy your car and drive it proudly. The mere fact that people appreciate what your car looks like in no way defines you as a man, right?

There's enough other ******** that drive F's to go around. Just be yourself and therefore you can't run that risk.

I'll soon be an ******* without an F.

The F doesn't make the *******, an ******* can drive an F.

Like Bill Gates and Warren Buffet, one can be financially set and still be socially conscious and good at heart. Be you.
Phenomenal post, and you are calling me out really well. I used to be a little judgmental punk (so this stems from that, and even up to a few years ago was baffled how someone could spend as much on a car as *I* spent on this car), had a decent upbringing but was never given anything as, duh, you gotta work for it. I am sure some guys find this thread infuriating or bizarre, but that's not a problem for me. People had mentioned "weird". I should divulge I was voted most unusual in junior high and high school. LOL

We have tapped into my own neuroses or psychological predispositions towards insecurity in what could be perceived as conspicuous consumption. It's my first foray into owning something material & nice, something that other people look at, or covet, etc. I've never been so insular, *ever*, to not give a damn what other people think. But I have been so riddled with confirmation bias as to not recognize external perception of who I am. That's all something for a therapist, one might imagine.

But, again.... this was never about me being insecure in regards to the car, but just reaching outside my selective perception and assumptions about this car and delving into whether the public thinks we're the A4 driver in that ad, or the BMW driver. What's more, it was 100% totally for conversational fun, and not meant to be this involved. I like it tho... I don't mind talking about my flaws, literal or perceptual. All in all I think it's a wildly interesting and good thread.

I do love one thing, and it's obvious from this thread: We all seem self-made, are extremely proud of it, and most don't give a damn about what other people think. If it's a small lifetime idiosyncrasy of mine, I certainly will never mind that I do.

Old 09-28-2016, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
Phenomenal post, and you are calling me out really well. I used to be a little judgmental punk (so this stems from that, and even up to a few years ago was baffled how someone could spend as much on a car as *I* spent on this car), had a decent upbringing but was never given anything as, duh, you gotta work for it. I am sure some guys find this thread infuriating or bizarre, but that's not a problem for me. People had mentioned "weird". I should divulge I was voted most unusual in junior high and high school. LOL

We have tapped into my own neuroses or psychological predispositions towards insecurity in what could be perceived as conspicuous consumption. It's my first foray into owning something material & nice, something that other people look at, or covet, etc. I've never been so insular, *ever*, to not give a damn what other people think. But I have been so riddled with confirmation bias as to not recognize external perception of who I am. That's all something for a therapist, one might imagine.

But, again.... this was never about me being insecure in regards to the car, but just reaching outside my selective perception and assumptions about this car and delving into whether the public thinks we're the A4 driver in that ad, or the BMW driver. What's more, it was 100% totally for conversational fun, and not meant to be this involved. I like it tho... I don't mind talking about my flaws, literal or perceptual. All in all I think it's a wildly interesting and good thread.

I do love one thing, and it's obvious from this thread: We all seem self-made, are extremely proud of it, and most don't give a damn about what other people think. If it's a small lifetime idiosyncrasy of mine, I certainly will never mind that I do.
Unc, you seem like a cool thoughtful guy. By being yourself and owning the car you bought, in the sense of being confident in your decision, your small part will define what an F owner is. If nothing else, being a part of this forum over the last six months, has shown me that there in no F-Type type. Grumpy old men. Creative young car nuts. A doctor, a lawyer, a poker player, a car owner whose owned 150 cars and is never quite happy, a Trump guy in Orange county, a Bernie guy in the Bay Area and even a guy who wrapped his car purple.

I think it's clear that there is no F-Type type although Jag would like you to believe that the buyers of F's are James Bond clones. When I look on you tube who write impressions of owning F's, it's gigly, goofy, wealthy kids who lose their minds over the sound of the exhaust who see to be the ones posting. Far from James Bond. This is the answer of your question if its about what type of image is Jaguar trying to create so customers who are considering F's have a vision to buy into. That again would be the smoothness of Bond.

What Jag portrays and what is reality don't seem to match. Not every car company can define with laser precision who their target market is. Volvo and Subaru seem to come to mind as marques that have done this exceptionally well as of late.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 09-28-2016 at 10:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (10-03-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

I think it's clear that there is no F-Type type although Jag would like you to believe that the buyers of F's are James Bond clones.
What...am I the only one? lol

Uncle Fishbits (10-03-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 10:19 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,151 Likes on 1,441 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
What...am I the only one? lol

I was thinking more Johnny English...

The following 3 users liked this post by DJS:
Mbourne (09-29-2016), Uncle Fishbits (10-03-2016), Unhingd (09-29-2016)
Old 10-03-2016, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member

....has shown me that there in no F-Type type. Grumpy old men. Creative young car nuts. A doctor, a lawyer, a poker player, a car owner whose owned 150 cars and is never quite happy, a Trump guy in Orange county, a Bernie guy in the Bay Area and even a guy who wrapped his car purple...... it's gigly, goofy, wealthy kids who lose their minds over the sound of the exhaust who see to be the ones posting. Far from James Bond. .....That again would be the smoothness of Bond....What Jag portrays and what is reality don't seem to match. Not every car company can define with laser precision who their target market is. Volvo and Subaru seem to come to mind as marques that have done this exceptionally well as of late.
Thoughtful response. Very appreciated. And yes... working in hospitality and travel, the last decade or so have been fascinating when it comes to the changes, namely in regards to marketing brands and products, when a company can no longer have this arcane notion of "this is our target market and demographic", versus the entire world defining your brand for you, and defining how you are perceived.

But I admit... I wholly own this vehicle, and my image is of a really happy, really friendly, really excited, really successful nice dude. What's funny about the original intent of the post is that it may have been to put myself in check. This weekend I noticed a quick pass on the right, and some over revving at our Cars and Coffee. I guess it's more of a conscious discussion not to melt down into that giddy little boy who's over excited about my ehaust. =)

I was never anything like this Lamborghini & Supra. Holy Cow. As a relative neophyte, I attempted to flip the video, but to no avail. No idea how I shot sideways: https://goo.gl/photos/ZFnnBFXN2Bj3WBL66

And that is how cars and coffee gets cancelled. That wasn't the worst... a Mustang (of course) with a girlfriend and dog in the droptop, peeled out something fierce and nearly fishtailed into a median, etc. And the Mustang image of being wreckless idiots isn't *that* old, right?

Your kind of talk would make old school marketing people itchy. It reminds me of this delightful old Bill Hicks joke, that I may have even copied and pasted earlier:

I am interested in how a brand tries to pretend they can control their image, vs how they will be defined by their people. Lucky for us we have so few units on the road, it won't be a concern to those grumpy gents from earlier. I guess...

"own it, don't be a jerk, have fun, be safe.... and apparently don't be overly concerned what other people think, and don't take things or the self too seriously".

Wise lesson to take from this, however simplistic. =)

Old 10-04-2016, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

CeRtainly not reinforcing your stereotype, sorry, my F type is tarmac tearing ... I go on a lot of events, 1/4 mile, 1/2 mile, rallies, Dragon runs (3 times this year alone) ... Capristo exhaust is eardrum shattering when I want to ... this is certainly not a Gentleman's driver ...

Old 10-05-2016, 09:56 AM
Received 681 Likes on 490 Posts

What's a "Dragon Run?"

Old 10-05-2016, 10:02 AM
Received 681 Likes on 490 Posts
Default Dragon Room

Given I have a Dragon Room think I need to go on a "Dragon Run"...

Turned the anti-room for the wince cellar into a Dragon room. Apparently I'm into themes...

Attached Thumbnails How do you help create our "image"?-dragoncorner.jpg   How do you help create our "image"?-winecellarstairs.jpg   How do you help create our "image"?-wine-cellarlongview.jpg  
Old 10-05-2016, 10:16 AM
DJS
Veteran Member

What's a "Dragon Run?"
http://tailofthedragon.com/

enderle (10-07-2016)
Old 10-05-2016, 10:52 AM
Received 2,266 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Maybe this the image you guys are looking for?

The following 3 users liked this post by Mikey:
JackMac (10-05-2016), Mbourne (10-06-2016), Unhingd (10-05-2016)
Old 10-05-2016, 03:37 PM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

Given I have a Dragon Room think I need to go on a "Dragon Run"...

Turned the anti-room for the wince cellar into a Dragon room. Apparently I'm into themes...
That is really really really f'ing cool.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

What's a "Dragon Run?"
Here's a close look at the dragon:

Schwabe (10-10-2016)
Old 10-06-2016, 08:23 AM
DJS
Veteran Member

Too much reflection to see The Dragon behind the wheel.

I'm generally not a big fan of lowering, but I think you nailed it. One of the best-looking F-types I've seen (besides mine, of course. )

Unhingd (10-06-2016)
Old 10-07-2016, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS

Old 10-07-2016, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mikey
Maybe this the image you guys are looking for?

Jeremy Clarkson Explains Jaguar Owners - YouTube
This is fantastic. I hadn't seen that. LOL

I like to follow code, I am compliant with my taxes, and my wife allows me to flirt because she thinks it is adorable. So I don't fit perfectly. And I don't run over dogs.

BUT THAT IS FUNNY. Thanks.

Quick Reply: How do you help create our "image"?