F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you like the F-type R suede interior option?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015 | 02:02 AM
|
Default How do you like the F-type R suede interior option?

I want to know how owners with the Suede interior option like it. I thought about the full red interior, but to do it right you should get the upper leather option aswell and I don't think it's worth $4700. So think the Suede option is the way to go. Let me know your thoughts. I only wish the steering wheel was Suede covered too. Dealer said that's something they could get done, probably lots of $$.

Last edited by SoCalJagS; 10-13-2015 at 02:04 AM.
Old 10-13-2015 | 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by SoCalJagS
I want to know how owners with the Suede interior option like it. I thought about the full red interior, but to do it right you should get the upper leather option aswell and I don't think it's worth $4700. So think the Suede option is the way to go. Let me know your thoughts. I only wish the steering wheel was Suede covered too. Dealer said that's something they could get done, probably lots of $$.
Not sure that this will really be of help, but while I was shopping around, I did sit in a couple other F-Types with Suedecloth seats and I really liked the feel. Reminded me a lot of the Alcantara seats in a Porsche, of which I am a huge fan.

I tried to locate a F-Type with the Suedecloth Pack that still met my requirements, but apparently Suedecloth is a very uncommon option, so I ended up with the full leather interior instead. Had I been in a position to custom order my FTR, I would have ordered that option for sure.

Last edited by Merlin; 10-13-2015 at 02:18 AM.
Old 10-13-2015 | 06:57 AM
Veteran Member

LOVE THE SUEDE!!!! It still looks brand new in my car, which was built 2 years ago, and it is incredible comfortable.

Old 10-13-2015 | 12:48 PM
Veteran Member

I ordered the suede cloth sight unseen. I was very happy when I finally saw it in person. It feels terrific and so far hasn't worn one bit.

Old 10-13-2015 | 01:16 PM

I love the suede as well. I also love that it covers all of the "extended leather" areas as well like the A-pillars and ceiling. Pretty good deal for a $1000 option.

I passed on the steering wheel option though. I can't remember the exact cost, maybe another $1k-1500?

Old 10-13-2015 | 03:11 PM
|

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it. I like the fact it covers the extended leather area. One would think Alcantra would be the standard headliner instead of cheap cloth. Having to pay $2200 to upgrade to leather really sucks. A cheap headliner does not belong in this car. I don't think there is an upgrade for the steering wheel, which is unfortunate.

Old 10-13-2015 | 04:02 PM

I would do full red without upper leather. That's what I have and I don't miss the headliner. I actually think the leather headliner the way Jaguar implemented it is not that impressive. If you look at the Leather headliner in a Bentley, or even in a BMW 7 series Individual, you will see hand stitched french seams plus a bit of padding. I think that is what makes it obvious that this is leather - like on the dash. On the Jaguar leather headliner you have hardly any seams, and none of them are french seams so it could be leatherette for all anyone can tell.

I would avoid the suede because it isn't suede. It is Alcantara which is a synthetic cloth (suede by contrast is a natural leather). Alcantara doesn't wear very well.

My recommendation:
1) Red Leather Interior with Jet Alcantara headliner (this is configurable or at least it was in 2015)
2) Red Leather interior with Jet Cloth headliner
3) Any other leather interior with any headliner
4) Any Alcantara interior

Old 10-13-2015 | 04:18 PM

I don't think there is an upgrade for the steering wheel, which is unfortunate.
I recall that it used to be an option when I was ordering my MY15. Might be mistaken, I'll have to check the brochure when I get home.

Originally Posted by StealthPilot
I would avoid the suede because it isn't suede. It is Alcantara which is a synthetic cloth (suede by contrast is a natural leather). Alcantara doesn't wear very well.
I disagree that Alcantara or Suedecoth doesn't wear very well. In my experience, it doesn't wear at all. After a couple years it will still look brand new. Leather on the other hand tends to develop wrinkles or cracks if you aren't treating it often. This is especially apparent on seats. We'll probably notice the leather on the sides of our seats showing wear while the center suedecloth parts are untouched.

Last edited by LynxFX; 10-13-2015 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-13-2015 | 04:33 PM
|

Originally Posted by StealthPilot

I read somewhere a long time ago that the reason cars manufacturers use the Alcantara is because it does wear well, and genuine leather suede doesn't, but I am sure there are different qualities. The suede headliner automatically defaults the interior to suede cloth as well.

Old 10-13-2015 | 06:12 PM

It probably wears better than suede, but it's not as soft for sure.
If you can get it on the steering wheel, do it. It provides better grip, and a softer surface. Honestly the jag steering wheels are not great.

Old 10-14-2015 | 10:34 AM
Veteran Member

The Alcantara option will wear out quicker than leather. Leather may look "worn" sooner than Alcantara but Alcantara will develop fuzz ***** and wear thin. Depending on your use you will see that in three years. Had my entire Cayman in Alcantara. Had Alcantara steering wheels in all my cars, including in my current XKRS. The steering wheel in Alcantara from Jaguar for my XKRS was $1,400. I still would do ceiling in Alcantara, steering wheel, shifter center console etc ... things that can easily be replaced or do not experience wear at all. I probably will not get another car with Alcantara seating surfaces.

Old 10-14-2015 | 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by hardwired
If you can get it on the steering wheel, do it. It provides better grip, and a softer surface. Honestly the jag steering wheels are not great.
When I looked into this, I found that you can order the F-Type steering wheel with Suedecloth but only with the round steering wheel. Suedecloth isn't available on the flat bottom model. The Suedecloth steering wheel also isn't heated as I recall.

Old 10-14-2015 | 12:50 PM
|

Originally Posted by Merlin
When I looked into this, I found that you can order the F-Type steering wheel with Suedecloth but only with the round steering wheel. Suedecloth isn't available on the flat bottom model. The Suedecloth steering wheel also isn't heated as I recall.
On the website, there is no option for Alcantara on the round steering wheel. At least not on the R configuration. It was on the original concept X16.

Old 10-14-2015 | 04:44 PM

On the website, there is no option for Alcantara on the round steering wheel. At least not on the R configuration. It was on the original concept X16.
That doesn't surprise me, there have been other areas where the web configurator has been incomplete.

In any case, I just pulled out the 2016 MY Order Guide to double check this. According to page 7 of the order guide, the Suedecloth Steering Wheel (unheated only) is available as an accessory for all models (base, S, and R.)

Given it is an accessory, that may suggest it is only available as a dealer option rather than a factory option.

Old 10-14-2015 | 05:47 PM
|

Originally Posted by Merlin
That doesn't surprise me, there have been other areas where the web configurator has been incomplete.

In any case, I just pulled out the 2016 MY Order Guide to double check this. According to page 7 of the order guide, the Suedecloth Steering Wheel (unheated only) is available as an accessory for all models (base, S, and R.)

Given it is an accessory, that may suggest it is only available as a dealer option rather than a factory option.
Thanks, I appreciate it.

Old 10-15-2015 | 09:44 AM
Veteran Member

Just as additional info and somewhat unrelated the Alcantara steering wheel for my XKRS is heated, however it is a different steering wheel.

Old 10-15-2015 | 11:07 AM
Veteran Member

I've got the suedecloth interior in my V6S and am liking it. I thought it might reduce the tendency to slide around in the seat while cornering, and I thought it would look good. I too ordered it sight unseen (as I did Storm Grey paint). I'm pleased.

Old 10-15-2015 | 11:50 AM
Veteran Member

Base model coupe has leather and suedecloth seats. Very comfy, and you don't slide around.

Old 03-27-2021 | 11:17 AM

Just wanted to see how the Alcantara is holding up for people since it’s been around for a while now.

Old 03-27-2021 | 12:55 PM

Have had my 2015 F-Type for a few months now and it currently has over 29k miles. Suede seats look and feel great with no issues. Only wish that the steering wheel was suede as well so may possibly look to see if I can find a local shop to do that. This option was the reason why I bought this specific F-Type.

The following users liked this post:
Iceman20110 (03-27-2021)