F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you remove the upper trim of the F Type's steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2022, 06:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you remove the upper trim of the F Type's steering wheel

Hi all. I'm about to purchase a 2015 F Type R from Audit of North Houston. They should be receiving the check and paperwork via FedEx tomorrow. Hopefully, it will ship on Tuesday or Wednesday and be here (Mesa, AZ) by the weekend.

The sales person has let me know of a few issues and a PPI was already done. One of the issues is peeling on the upper trim, and I've found where I can get a replace part: https://www.oemvehicleparts.com/oem-...-trim-t2r18060 The question is, how does this steering wheel's upper trim come off? Searching YouTube videos, looks like the upper trim can be removed without taking off the airbag? Thank you.

Allan Gibbs

Old 02-27-2022, 06:15 PM

Actually, I just noticed something else. That Passport radar display under the tachometer, does it look like the tachometer was cut for that piece to fit there?

Old 02-27-2022, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

I had the same problem on my 2014 F-Type so I researched and experimented with removing the trim piece.
Bottom line - the steering wheel has to come off, there is no other way!
Because that trim piece has bit/tangs/protrusions which go behind the steering wheel centre boss/airbag.
I bought the same trim piece new (from Britcar who unfortunately are now out of business) and had it fitted by my favourite Jag mechanic, who confirmed that the steering wheel had to come off.
I did not attempt to remove the steering wheel myself as it's a bit fiddly and my eyes and fingers are no longer up to the task, but if you are not decrepit like me it's reasonably straightforward to DIY, there are posts/threads around here showing how to do it.
Just be careful of the airbag!

The following users liked this post:
Agibbs996 (02-27-2022)
Old 02-27-2022, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by Agibbs996
Actually, I just noticed something else. That Passport radar display under the tachometer, does it look like the tachometer was cut for that piece to fit there?
I bet it is just sitting in front of the instrument, with the wire(s) tucked underneath.

Any other 'sticky plastic' on the car? Lots of threads here. There are also some overlay remedies that have been posted.
Do you like a Carbon Fiber Look?

Agibbs996 (02-27-2022)
Old 02-27-2022, 07:26 PM

Thanks. I'll take a closer look when it comes in but I may save it for a trip to an independent British car shop shop if I feel it's too much.

Originally Posted by OzXFR
I had the same problem on my 2014 F-Type so I researched and experimented with removing the trim piece.
Because that trim piece has bit/tangs/protrusions which go behind the steering wheel centre boss/airbag.
I bought the same trim piece new (from Britcar who unfortunately are now out of business) and had it fitted by my favourite Jag mechanic, who confirmed that the steering wheel had to come off.
I did not attempt to remove the steering wheel myself as it's a bit fiddly and my eyes and fingers are no longer up to the task, but if you are not decrepit like me it's reasonably straightforward to DIY, there are posts/threads around here showing how to do it.

Old 02-27-2022, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
I bet it is just sitting in front of the instrument, with the wire(s) tucked underneath.

Any other 'sticky plastic' on the car? Lots of threads here. There are also some overlay remedies that have been posted.
Do you like a Carbon Fiber Look?
Thanks. I'm a little on edge as tomorrow the check and paper work arrive and I'm getting antsy for the delivery -which hopefully will be the end of the week. I'll ask the dealer how it's been installed.

Yes, this car does have the sticky buttons. It's one of the few thing the PPI mentioned, including a few chips and scuffs on the wheels. I also test drove an S a few weeks go that had the similar issue. I did see some YouTube videos that it could be removed with some alcohol (or a lemon oil) and a microfiber cloth.

Old 02-27-2022, 10:48 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
There are some stick on covers on Amazon that look like they would cover that entire piece......

Old 02-27-2022, 11:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rtmyers1
There are some stick on covers on Amazon that look like they would cover that entire piece......
Yep, I saw them and considered one or two but they looked a bit too cheap and nasty for my liking. Also there was the issue of lining things up perfectly with my dodgy eyes and fingers/hands.
As the OEM piece is reasonably priced and the labour not too bad I went that way instead.

Old 03-03-2022, 01:40 AM
Received 115 Likes on 66 Posts

Hi all. I'm about to purchase a 2015 F Type R from Audit of North Houston. They should be receiving the check and paperwork via FedEx tomorrow. Hopefully, it will ship on Tuesday or Wednesday and be here (Mesa, AZ) by the weekend.

The sales person has let me know of a few issues and a PPI was already done. One of the issues is peeling on the upper trim, and I've found where I can get a replace part: https://www.oemvehicleparts.com/oem-...-trim-t2r18060 The question is, how does this steering wheel's upper trim come off? Searching YouTube videos, looks like the upper trim can be removed without taking off the airbag? Thank you.

Allan Gibbs

madness autoworks is where i got this.

Last edited by 19FRG; 03-03-2022 at 01:46 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 19FRG:
Agibbs996 (03-03-2022), Carbuff2 (03-03-2022)
Old 03-03-2022, 12:12 PM
Received 377 Likes on 174 Posts

Steering wheel does not need to come off, but to make life easier, the airbag does. Airbag on these cars are pretty easy to remove. Before disconnecting the battery, turn steering wheel 90 degrees. Disconnect battery and there are two small holes on the back of the steering wheel plastic cover that you can put a small flathead screwdriver that will release the airbag tabs. They are held into the steering wheel with two spring tabs, so when you push the tabs in, the airbag will pop up and off once you release both sides. At that point, the piece is question is just held in with some plastic tabs and with a plastic pry tool, you can slowly work it off the steering wheel. See below and I have personally done this myself on my own vehicle and did not need to remove the steering wheel.

Carbuff2 (03-03-2022)
Old 03-03-2022, 12:17 PM

Thank you!!! This is very helpful. I've also seen some YouTube videos on the airbag removal. F Type is enroute from Houston and should be here tomorrow.

Originally Posted by skizot
Steering wheel does not need to come off, but to make life easier, the airbag does. Airbag on these cars are pretty easy to remove. Before disconnecting the battery, turn steering wheel 90 degrees. Disconnect battery and there are two small holes on the back of the steering wheel plastic cover that you can put a small flathead screwdriver that will release the airbag tabs. They are held into the steering wheel with two spring tabs, so when you push the tabs in, the airbag will pop up and off once you release both sides. At that point, the piece is question is just held in with some plastic tabs and with a plastic pry tool, you can slowly work it off the steering wheel. See below and I have personally done this myself on my own vehicle and did not need to remove the steering wheel.

Old 03-03-2022, 12:24 PM
Received 377 Likes on 174 Posts

Thank you!!! This is very helpful. I've also seen some YouTube videos on the airbag removal. F Type is enroute from Houston and should be here tomorrow.
Sure thing, glad to help. I had Guardian Designs provide a custom made Steering Wheel and they refinished that piece for me as well. So it is possible to customize it, rather than needing to replace it with a new part. Might be nicer to just make it unique and make it match the piano black like other parts of the car. See attached.

Attached Files
Agibbs996 (03-03-2022)
Old 03-03-2022, 01:41 PM
Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

@Agibbs996

Neither the steering wheel or the airbag needs to be removed. You also don't need to disconnect the battery if you don't wish to as there is enough room for the airbag to lean/hang against the steering wheel. Of course the proper way is to disconnect the battery and remove the airbag.

Also, the plastic trim you are referring to hand be removed without any tools, just grip and strong fingers.

Agibbs996 (03-06-2022)
Old 03-03-2022, 03:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 984 Likes on 565 Posts

I am uncertain about whether or not the steering wheel needs to be removed or not...But I would NEVER, EVER touch an airbag without disconnecting all power and waiting for all Canbus to power down completely.

It is not worth the risk of injuring or killing yourself to save a step. If you disagree, search on Google for what happens when an airbag deploys. And all it would take is the wrong bump or wire to touch and you have a huge issue.

Anyone can do whatever they like I suppose. I consider this a public service announcement to discourage ANYONE from EVER working on an airbag without discharging all power first. And I know, someone will pipe up and say something like "I did it with no issues"...And that is true. I am sure people have gotten Dynamite wet with no issues...Do you want to the the one to see what might happen?? Just way too dangerous to risk.

Good luck,
DC

Example of why you do not want to risk it going off...

Rondog (03-04-2022)
Old 03-03-2022, 03:14 PM

Each to their own.

Old 03-03-2022, 03:41 PM
Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

steering wheel does not need to be removed but the airbag does need to come out (whether or not you decide to disconnect it or not is up to you but I would recommend to disconnect). As for the trim, I removed the sticky stuff and then polished the plastic as it is black underneath...it's free but there is a lot of labor involved in doing that.

Old 03-03-2022, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member

Yep, I originally said that the steering wheel needs to come off but I stand corrected, I meant that the airbag cover needs to come off.
MoJo88 - I can't see how it is possible to remove and replace the piece in question without removing at least the airbag cover / central steering wheel boss, or is that what you mean, just remove the cover while leaving the airbag itself in place?

Old 03-03-2022, 05:03 PM

By remove I meant disconnect or unplug.

Old 03-04-2022, 11:24 AM
Received 115 Likes on 66 Posts

if you go the route I did with the carbon fiber you don't have to remove anything.

Agibbs996 (03-06-2022)
Old 03-19-2023, 05:28 PM
Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Another data point: I just got rid of the last of the sticky rubber in my 2016 FTR -- the steering wheel trim. Using info from above and YouTube, I released the airbag from the steering wheel mounts but did not unplug it. I was then able to remove the upper trim from the wheel, although I also left the wires between the trim and the wheel attached, so I couldn't actually take it out of the car. This allowed me to get to the edges of the trim that would have been under the airbag or too close to the steering wheel leather. After about an hour of patiently rubbing the trim with IPA on a microfiber towel, I had removed all the rubber, leaving black plastic. I then used some ceramic coating (Avalon King Armor Shield IX) that I had leftover from exterior use to coat the black plastic a few times to make it more "piano black" than "black plastic that has been rubbed with a microfiber repeatedly." I also used some Lexol leather conditioner on the rim of the wheel to refresh any areas that inadvertently got swiped with IPA.

About the airbag, you do you. If you would rather unplug the battery and the airbag, great. If you'd rather leave the airbag plugged in and just moved to the side, fine by me as well. I just wanted to add my experience to the tribal knowledge here.

Quick Reply: How do you remove the upper trim of the F Type's steering wheel