F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does the climate control system work? Is there rhyme or reason, or is it random?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteTardis
Do you turn the temperature all the way down until it displays "LO" when you first start up the system? Or do you leave it at the previous temperature?
No I haven't tried turning the temp to LO. But you're making my point. Doesn't this defeat the theory that "If the car is significantly warmer than the desired temp, the system auto kicks in with the "max air" to rapidly cool the cabin". As many have said prior. This also defeats the theory that this system is something better than whats used in other cars. If this is truly the case, one shouldn't have to lower the temp even more, then raise the temp later. Again, if this is truly some nextgen smart system, this shouldn't be necessary as thats exactly what we used to do back in the 80's before CC. (The need to turn the system all the way down to cool the car in a hurry.)

If the car has done away with a MAX AIR button for this purpose, the only logical reason should be that the system is intelligent enough to know that the ambient temp is far higher (when you first get in a hot car for example) than the target temp on the dial, and makes a intelligent decision to max air the car to get the cabin to where it needs to be as fast as possible.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 08-09-2016 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:47 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

To be clear -

I do not touch anything when I get in the car. If it was left on auto, and a temperature lower than the temp the cabin is at - I get the same effect as a "max" button - maximum cold airflow and raised vent. I don't have to turn to low, press any buttons, turn any dials - it just works.

Sounds like a problem with your car.

Old 08-09-2016, 02:57 PM
jf1
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ek993
To be clear -

I do not touch anything when I get in the car. If it was left on auto, and a temperature lower than the temp the cabin is at - I get the same effect as a "max" button - maximum cold airflow and raised vent. I don't have to turn to low, press any buttons, turn any dials - it just works.

Sounds like a problem with your car.
+1

This is how mine behaves.

Old 08-09-2016, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by jf1
+1

This is how mine behaves.
Mine too.

Old 08-09-2016, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj
Call me "old school", but in my opinion, A CC system works like this...You set the desired temperature, the car determines the ambient temperature, then the car turns on the system to reach the target, Simple. There should also be a Max switch to rapidly override the thermostat and max cool (or heat) the car in the case of extreme conditions. Thats it, thats all.
That is essentially what we have. HI or LO will override the automatic settings and give you maximum heat or maximum cooling with no interferance. Otherwise you set the temperature and the system does what it needs to get you there.

It's really not any different to that in the X351 which you had before your F Type, or the X350/X400/X250 generation before that. The auto button merely enables auto mode - exactly as it does on any other car. I am struggling to see where the confusion is?

You have two modes - manual control where you can set the fan speed, termpature of the air and the vents to use. Or you have auto mode where you set the temperature and the car will make adjustments as needed.

I note that as yet no one has viewed the PDF I attached to my last post. It explains how the different sensors are used in auto mode which you may find useful.

As your primary concern appears to be getting into the coupe when it is hot and rapidly cooling it down, simply turn the temperature knob to LO and leave it till you start feeling cold, then turn it back to a comfort setting. Unless the car needs to override your choice to avoid misting (all explained in the PDF) you will get the result you want which is maximum cooled air. Do you live in a particularly humid climate?

However as others have mentioned, if the car is notably warmer than the desired comfort setting then it will attempt to cool it down within a couple of minutes anyway. The greater the difference the more the airflow.

Old 08-09-2016, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

Perhaps there is something wrong with mine. When I first start my car in the mid day heat, with A/C and AUTO on from the previous day, the car doesn't blow hard cold like its rapidly trying to cool off the cabin. The A/C trickles in as if its in a comfort mode and the vent console stays down. This is why I attempt daily to get the cabin cooled off quickly when I first get in. After the temperature stabilizes, then the system is fine. It's clear to see why those of you with verts could probably care less about vacating the heat quickly for obvious reasons. I'd imagine that it's only us coupe owners that are concerned here.
And I will tell you again that this behavior does not match what my car does.

The operation of this system is blisteringly simple: You leave it on auto. You leave A/C on. You dial the temp. Activate your defogging options whenever needed with a button press.

Center vent goes up when cooling. Period.

System blows harder when temp difference is greatest. Period.

Desired temp is reached within minutes. Period.

Old 08-09-2016, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member

No I haven't tried turning the temp to LO. But you're making my point. Doesn't this defeat the theory that "If the car is significantly warmer than the desired temp, the system auto kicks in with the "max air" to rapidly cool the cabin". As many have said prior. This also defeats the theory that this system is something better than whats used in other cars. If this is truly the case, one shouldn't have to lower the temp even more, then raise the temp later. Again, if this is truly some nextgen smart system, this shouldn't be necessary as thats exactly what we used to do back in the 80's before CC. (The need to turn the system all the way down to cool the car in a hurry.)

If the car has done away with a MAX AIR button for this purpose, the only logical reason should be that the system is intelligent enough to know that the ambient temp is far higher (when you first get in a hot car for example) than the target temp on the dial, and makes a intelligent decision to max air the car to get the cabin to where it needs to be as fast as possible.
I suppose this may be necessary if your car is not functioning as designed. I would prefer to get the problem fixed.

Old 08-09-2016, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts
Default Nati. I'm not a six year ago old my friend

I told u my system isn't working properly. Telling me how easy the system is to operate doesn't solve anything for me bro.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:39 PM
Veteran Member

I honestly cannot tell from anything you wrote that your mind was made up about that fact. You said perhaps, and then you went on to refer to way the system is supposed to work as a theory. I hope you get it fixed easily.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Perhaps there is something wrong with mine. When I first start my car in the mid day heat, with A/C and AUTO on from the previous day, the car doesn't blow hard cold like its rapidly trying to cool off the cabin. The A/C trickles in as if its in a comfort mode and the vent console stays down. This is why I attempt daily to get the cabin cooled off quickly when I first get in. After the temperature stabilizes, then the system is fine. It's clear to see why those of you with verts could probably care less about vacating the heat quickly for obvious reasons. I'd imagine that it's only us coupe owners that are concerned here.
Something wrong with your car (and I have the Coupe). If car is hot when I get in it, the vent will always rise and go to max cool if the Auto (CC) is turned on. The touch screen customization settings for the system (similar to the custom settings for dynamic mode) are only there for the idiosyncrasies of individuals. For example: if someone has poor leg circulation and needs more heat directed low rather than high. I've never felt the need to teak the touchscreen settings.

Old 08-11-2016, 04:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 214 Likes on 191 Posts

Works great in Vegas! Use manual mode with temp at 65 and vents set to upper only. Use recirc as needed and fan to adjust as car cools down. Dash vent always up when on. When heat on use same method but vents on all. Never use auto.