F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to get pops and crackles

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 08:35 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the info. I was best able to elicit pops and rumbles by running up to just over 3k rpm and letting off the throttle. This was usually effective but seemed to diminish the longer I drove.

I did not seem to get any augmentation of the sound by feathering the gas as was suggested. Can you elaborate on exactly how to do this? Thanks.

Old 04-11-2016, 06:50 AM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts

my 16R makes too much le crackle

Old 04-11-2016, 07:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

For the past year I've been biting my tongue on this issue, but I can't resist anymore. The V8 in a tunnel is just plain racket. The V6 on the other hand is pure resonance. I know...blasphemy!

Old 04-11-2016, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
For the past year I've been biting my tongue on this issue, but I can't resist anymore. The V8 in a tunnel is just plain racket. The V6 on the other hand is pure resonance. I know...blasphemy!

Old 04-11-2016, 08:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

the 200 cell cat
Unhingd, is V6 exhaust in any way restrictive? Would this be loudness or performance mod?

Also, if you do manage to free up some power that way, at what point do you think new clutch design will start slipping? We know MT can't handle power from R-type, but still can handle S type.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:38 AM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

One man's racket is another man's symphony.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

I absolutely love the V6 active exhaust. I was driving by a couple geese in someone's front yard the other day. Long story short, I goosed a goose, and it was hilarious.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF
Unhingd, is V6 exhaust in any way restrictive? Would this be loudness or performance mod?
Yes, both, as would be the long-tube headers.

Also, if you do manage to free up some power that way, at what point do you think new clutch design will start slipping? We know MT can't handle power from R-type, but still can handle S type.
Currently at 427hp/407tq, the clutch is holding fine.

Considering the LT headers, lower overdrive pulley and 2nd tune. If the clutch doesn't hold, I'll have a high performance clutch built. If the tranny gets twisted into a knot, I'll replace it and back off on the tune.

At this stage, though, I am more likely to focus on weight savings: CF wheels (80 lbs), Lithium Ion battery (35 lbs) and SVR exhaust (???).

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
SinF (04-11-2016), Smoke Em (04-12-2016)
Old 04-11-2016, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member

You go Unhingd!

At what point do you anticipate to get most of that extra power from exhaust mod? Near limiter?

Old 04-11-2016, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member

You go Unhingd!

At what point do you anticipate to get most of that extra power from exhaust mod? Near limiter?
More focused on mid-range torque.Our gearing on the MT isn't close enough to get full advantage from high rpm hp. I'm not really looking to maximize the peak numbers with any of these additional mods, but rather looking to extend the current torque peak across a broader rpm range.

The following users liked this post:
SinF (04-11-2016)
Old 04-11-2016, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member

Coming from Mercedes M113 V8, I can't say I am super-happy with mid range on F-Type. Would be nice if there was an easy way to flatten it.

Old 04-11-2016, 05:05 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by domino_z
my 16R makes too much le crackle

Because tunnels in an f-type v8 - YouTube
That was amazing. I was able to make it crack and pop better today. I held second gear for a while at 3500 rpm and when I let off it sounded like a machine gun.

Old 04-11-2016, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member

Coming from Mercedes M113 V8, I can't say I am super-happy with mid range on F-Type. Would be nice if there was an easy way to flatten it.
A pulley and good tune aren't easy, but they are the easiest way to do it.

Old 04-12-2016, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by IMMD
That was amazing. I was able to make it crack and pop better today. I held second gear for a while at 3500 rpm and when I let off it sounded like a machine gun.
just tap the throttle immediately after downchanging or getting off throttle and it'll go nuts like in my video

Old 04-12-2016, 10:33 AM
Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

One of the joys of operating an MT F-Type is the fact that many of the activities which happen automatically are now generated by direct action of the driver. As such, it's not as easy to get the exhaust to make noise. It becomes a learning adventure. Once you start to figure out the ways of the car, you can in fact play it like an instrument.

This morning on the drive in, a recent Vette took an interest. So I played him a symphony. I think we both enjoyed it.

Orkney

Old 04-12-2016, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

It's pretty much all under the control of the driver in the auto as well. You can orchestrate the same symphony and fireworks w/ the right actions on the paddles and throttle.

Another +1 on the V6 being more pleasing to my ear. The V8 sounds like just another American muscle car that I've spent 4 decades with, albeit w/ a few more fireworks involved.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:42 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ek993
Mine used to crackle and pop in dynamic / sport with the merest hint of lift at even low engine rpm / speed - there was no need to rev it to 3k+ rpm. As reported in the other thread, that behavior changed post the O2 software flash.
The dealer applied O2 software flash to my car and it made it notably quieter. Normal mode under 3K RPMs I get no sound whatsoever. Even in track mode I don't get pops and crackles unless I am doing high-RPM downshifts and blipping throttle. I forgot the last time I even heard "machine-gun" sounds coming from my car, it just doesn't do it anymore. It used to.

It is somewhat disappointing, having the quietest F-type around. I am not sure if there is a fix for this, as I asked the dealer and they didn't know what to say.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

The dealer applied O2 software flash to my car and it made it notably quieter. Normal mode under 3K RPMs I get no sound whatsoever. Even in track mode I don't get pops and crackles unless I am doing high-RPM downshifts and blipping throttle. I forgot the last time I even heard "machine-gun" sounds coming from my car, it just doesn't do it anymore. It used to.

It is somewhat disappointing, having the quietest F-type around. I am not sure if there is a fix for this, as I asked the dealer and they didn't know what to say.
I had mine in for tires before the lobster run. They asked if I wanted the flash done. I told them not to do it. I'm just not ready to risk it. My experience with the pops, crackles and machine gun has been as follows in my V8:

Normal D mode: pops and crackles on 5k rpm releases

Dynamic D Mode: pops start at 3k and become more elongated, occasional machine gun effect

Dynamic with S but no paddles: more prounounced pops crackles and gun effects at 3k rpms

Dynamic in Sports with paddles: just outrageous runs of sound that just make me giggle still, as DJS and some other lobster runners may be able to verify.

All that makes me say "no thanks for now" to the flash.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:00 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

My experience matches yours completely.

Can you try in standard (non-dynamic) and sport mode, with paddles and report back. Do you get pops / crackles? That's the only mode that really makes overrun sound effects of any note now. Will be interested to see if your car does the same

Old 05-09-2016, 10:03 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbourne

Dynamic with S but no paddles: more prounounced pops crackles and gun effects at 3k rpms

Dynamic in Sports with paddles: just outrageous runs of sound that just make me giggle still, as DJS and some other lobster runners may be able to verify.
This is how my car used to sound. Dynamic / sport used to pop and crackle like crazy, more so using paddles. Now... its silent unless driving like I am on a track day.

The following users liked this post:
Blkv8s (07-11-2016)

Quick Reply: How to get pops and crackles