Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to get pops and crackles

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 01:57 PM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

Quick update;

Just back from having some warranty work (rear nearside light assy condensation and water ingress) carried out on our May 2015 build FTR V8.

I held out on K309 during its first service, but bit the bullet and took a gamble and had it flashed. After a trial run home of 60 miles, all seems just as it was prior to the update, pops, bangs et al.

Just a shame that the technician or whomever, decided to have something sharp in their pockets when they were sat on the seat which cut the seat squab....grrr, back we go again!

Old 06-28-2016, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by Tel
Quick update;

Just back from having some warranty work (rear nearside light assy condensation and water ingress) carried out on our May 2015 build FTR V8.

I held out on K309 during its first service, but bit the bullet and took a gamble and had it flashed. After a trial run home of 60 miles, all seems just as it was prior to the update, pops, bangs et al.

Just a shame that the technician or whomever, decided to have something sharp in their pockets when they were sat on the seat which cut the seat squab....grrr, back we go again!
That's just so wrong and so very basic! Elementary my dear Tel. What a PITA.

Old 06-28-2016, 03:06 PM
Received 135 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Tel
Quick update;

Tel, do you have a tune on your car? If so, did you flash back to stock before you took your car in?

Old 06-28-2016, 03:15 PM
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

My F-TYPE is back in service today for an oil change and a few other odds and ends - I'm having the exhaust note update done as well, so I can report back on the effects in a few days.

Old 06-29-2016, 05:12 AM
Tel

Originally Posted by MI-FType
Tel, do you have a tune on your car? If so, did you flash back to stock before you took your car in?
No, it's completely stock MI. The R has enough power for us on Blighties narrow twisties!

Old 06-29-2016, 05:18 AM
Tel

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
That's just so wrong and so very basic! Elementary my dear Tel. What a PITA.
Ah, 'You know my methods' dear RJ!

Tell me about it. I took a cursory look over he car whilst giving it a wipe down this morning after the journey:

Coolant level was low
Washer filler bottle lid left off
Charging cover and live terminal cover off under the bonnet
...and it passed it's health check 100%!

Minor things I know, but all I can say is, when you have the car in, just check it over yourself.
Maybe things over your side of the pond are better (I know from working in the US that the customer service is fantastic), but this side, the dealer experience still leaves a lot to be desired unfortunately.

Thank gawd, the driving and owning experience outweighs these niggles!

Old 06-29-2016, 06:35 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tel
Ah, 'You know my methods' dear RJ!

Tell me about it. I took a cursory look over he car whilst giving it a wipe down this morning after the journey:

Coolant level was low
Washer filler bottle lid left off
Charging cover and live terminal cover off under the bonnet
...and it passed it's health check 100%!

Minor things I know, but all I can say is, when you have the car in, just check it over yourself.
Maybe things over your side of the pond are better (I know from working in the US that the customer service is fantastic), but this side, the dealer experience still leaves a lot to be desired unfortunately.

Thank gawd, the driving and owning experience outweighs these niggles!
That's just Crooked Man .

I would say the/your solution is moving back here but I'm afraid that customer service - never mind the political climate (and we won't go there now) - might not be much better. Indeed, it can be rather spotty if not inconsistent. I and others here have had generally good if not excellent customer service and experiences but others I'm quite confident would say that they have not. In any event your experience and, more importantly as the rest of your list is, as you say, minor, damage to your car is inexcusable.

Elementary.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Best regards,
Jay

Last edited by RickyJay52; 06-29-2016 at 06:41 AM.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:45 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

After my latest service, I found the charging cover was off, and the engine cover wasn't seated. Still haven't gotten the engine cover to seat right - only two of the four rubber grommet thingies latch.

Old 06-29-2016, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
After my latest service, I found the charging cover was off, and the engine cover wasn't seated. Still haven't gotten the engine cover to seat right - only two of the four rubber grommet thingies latch.
There you go Tel, you are not alone. We're all in this s$%^-hole together. HA!

Old 06-29-2016, 02:17 PM
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
With the MT, if you shift at the precise moment you hit red-line, you get a glorious single canon "shot heard around the world".
I believe that you can hear the "shot heard around the world" in this video on this page at the 2:03 mark...

The Manual V6 Jaguar F-Type Is Way Better Than The Automatic V8*

Last edited by Atomic; 06-29-2016 at 02:50 PM.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:53 PM
Tel

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
There you go Tel, you are not alone. We're all in this s$%^-hole together. HA!
Ahhh, the joys of owning a Great British Sports car

Old 06-29-2016, 07:04 PM
Received 852 Likes on 479 Posts

I got your snap, crackles and pops right here!

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 06-29-2016, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
I got your snap, crackles and pops right here!
Stuart, very nice sound. Looking forward to those headers.

Old 07-02-2016, 08:00 PM
Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

Stuart,

That V6S sounds AMAZING.. Nice job!!

Old 07-03-2016, 07:03 AM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

Took mine in for 2year service on Friday. They did the K409 update and the update to restore the sound. It still growls just like it did before the updates.

Old 07-28-2016, 01:34 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Update - I finally got around to speaking to my dealer re the latest update. He said there are no further updates for my car - thankfully Cameron posted the Topix reference and I guided him to the JTB reference. Once he read it he confirmed the update does indeed apply to my car and may fix the reduction in exhaust noise. I am guessing as K309 was already applied once the system doesn't flag that I might need this newer release of K309

To cut a long story short - they are relocating their service facility and asked me to call back next week, they will make an appointment to apply the newer K309 to the car

Will provide another update after

Old 07-29-2016, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by ek993
they will make an appointment to apply the newer K309 to the car
Interesting. Sent this note to my awesome service dude. Will see what he says.

Old 08-05-2016, 08:56 AM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

My house is set back about 700ft from the road and it's a steep driveway. If I open exhaust valves and go paddle shift, keeping it in 1st gear and coast down the hill without using brake or gas I get the most insane crackles and pops the whole way down. I have yet to be able to replicate this while driving down the road and letting off the gas.

Next time you are near a big hill try this and you'll be surprised just how much noise the car makes. It's epic!

Old 08-17-2016, 09:27 AM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Ok to close the loop on this one - I had the software update today and am very happy to say that all the pops and crackles are back. The car is 100% as it was prior to the original K309 update.

Not sure what the new software update did, or why only certain cars were affected but at least it is now resolved.

Kudos to Jaguar for listening to their customers (not sure if they responded due to the thread on this board?) and providing the update so quickly.

For reference, here is a screen shot of the service worksheet

Old 08-18-2016, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by ek993
Ok to close the loop on this one - I had the software update today and am very happy to say that all the pops and crackles are back. The car is 100% as it was prior to the original K309 update.

Not sure what the new software update did, or why only certain cars were affected but at least it is now resolved.

Kudos to Jaguar for listening to their customers (not sure if they responded due to the thread on this board?) and providing the update so quickly.

For reference, here is a screen shot of the service worksheet

MAN I wish we had some access to *our* data from *our* car... but I assume there's no easy way to tell what k309 or update we're on, etc?

Quick Reply: How to get pops and crackles