F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to get pops and crackles

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 12:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's it, the valves stay closed until 4000rpm is reached and they close again once the engine runs under 4000rpm. On my previous F they opened way faster and stayed open when the Dynamic button was engaged, now the selection of the dynamic and track mode has no effect wath so ever on the exhaust flaps, they stay closed until I go over 4000 or more rpm.

Old 08-26-2017, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by ek993
What do you mean by "exhaust valves open on 4000rpm"?, your valves stay closed until 4000rpm? The exhaust valves should be open 100% of the time when the active exhaust is engaged.
He doesn't have an active exhaust switch per his previous post. That said, though, the dynamic button should serve to keep the valves open at all times.

Old 08-26-2017, 07:15 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
He doesn't have an active exhaust switch per his previous post. That said, though, the dynamic button should serve to keep the valves open at all times.
I don't think the valves stay open in dynamic mode on cars that don't have the active exhaust button. At least on the AT cars, not sure about the MT

Old 08-26-2017, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member

I don't think the valves stay open in dynamic mode on cars that don't have the active exhaust button. At least on the AT cars, not sure about the MT
On my car, "dynamic" always opens the valves despite the fact it is not one of the 3 programmable parameters (suspension, engine, steering). Of course, I can then close the valves by pushing the exhaust button, but who would want to?.

Old 08-31-2017, 10:44 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Hmm, in dynamic (with no active exhaust button), my valves open on demand. I have to get the engine working some before the valves open. And they don't just pop open, I can hear them opening up as revs build.

Old 08-31-2017, 11:19 AM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Hmm, in dynamic (with no active exhaust button), my valves open on demand. I have to get the engine working some before the valves open. And they don't just pop open, I can hear them opening up as revs build.
Yes I believe that's the behavior on cars that do not have the button - valves only open when engine is under load. Dynamic mode will not keep them open 100% of the time.

Wheras it seems for the cars that do have the button - putting it in dynamic does indeed open the valves 100% of the time.

Am sure it's programmed that way as Jaguar don't want to give the ability to open the valves all of the time to the people who were too cheap to add the exhaust button !

Old 09-05-2017, 01:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

All I had to do was quote the JTB number and the dealer applied a newer version of code to the one I was on.

When was the last time your car received a software update? K309 was applied around March 2016 and a newer version of code was applied around August 2016 when I took it back in for the JTB. So the newer code was released sometime around Summer 2016 I believe. If your car hasn't been updated since then it's probably a fair assumption you don't have the latest and greatest.

Show them this screenshot, ask them to look up and read the TSB and confirm that they have performed the action prescribed in it.

You can also ask them to provide you with the current version of software running - they have no valid reason to refuse to give you this information.

Beyond that if they still push back escalate to JNA.

I had the K309 done in Mai 2016. Not shure if it did reduce the pops and crackles, as I find that sometimes it seems ok, and sometimes a bit less than before.

I delivered the car in for scheduled service this morning and told them to check for a TSB495 action. They have put it on the service order, and I know that the service technician will do his best to find out of this. He is the only technician that has worked on my car, and he has given my great service every time, and also done a top job on the few warranty repairs I have had done (replaced scratched side windows/replaced seals and front AC-wents that jolted when moving up and Down).

If any software updates are done, and I find that it had a noticable effect, I will report back here.

Old 09-05-2017, 02:56 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Arne
I had the K309 done in Mai 2016. Not shure if it did reduce the pops and crackles, as I find that sometimes it seems ok, and sometimes a bit less than before.

I delivered the car in for scheduled service this morning and told them to check for a TSB495 action. They have put it on the service order, and I know that the service technician will do his best to find out of this. He is the only technician that has worked on my car, and he has given my great service every time, and also done a top job on the few warranty repairs I have had done (replaced scratched side windows/replaced seals and front AC-wents that jolted when moving up and Down).

If any software updates are done, and I find that it had a noticable effect, I will report back here.

A quick update. "My" service technician just phoned me and asked if it was ok that he applied a 3M tape (transluctant) on the door sills to prevent any scratches on the aluminum plates (free of charges). The other thing he suggested was to apply some copper grease on the hinges on the exaust valves to prevent them from getting stuck half way open (as a preventive maintenance). He said they did look rather ok, but the valve on the passenger side only opened 90%, even though a slight push would open it fully.

He would also see what he could find about the TSB495 and get that solved

Old 09-05-2017, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member

Just picked up the car, and WOW - the pops and crackles are back in full!

They did do a software update, but I forgot to ask for documentation, and on my receipt it only says "software update" on one line (no charge even though it is now outside warrenty).

To much trafic and to short drive home to really test it out (cold engine), but it's still very easy to hear BIG difference. I almost got embaresed as there was rather crowded on the pavement, and it felt like everyone turned their heads towards the car/sound (more than usual )

The following users liked this post:
Mbourne (09-05-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 05:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello fellow F Type Community, I've been a long time lurker on the forums but havent posted anything yet (first post).

I have a new to me 2014 Jaguar F Type V8S, purchased last May. I had it checked last June at the dealer, due to the exhaust button not working (loud all the time). Valves were said to be left open all the time. They did some software updates too. Repaired under warranty and all went well. Recently, I just noticed that the Pop and Crackles are somewhat muted between 3k to 4k rpm on deceleration. No problem above and below those rpm range though. If ever it pops and crackles at that rpm range, you can hear that the valves are closed and trying to mute the sound, and opens once again below or above the 3k-4k range.

Is this normal?

Sorry for the long post. Mandatory pictures of the F to follow

Old 09-08-2017, 08:30 PM
Veteran Member

Not normal. With the button light lit, the valves should always be open.

jamesv8s (09-11-2017)
Old 09-11-2017, 10:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Unhingd! Do you think this is just a software issue? exhaust (mechanical) issue? Or both? Pop and crackless were really less..

Old 09-12-2017, 02:35 AM
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

I guess this is as good a thread as any to ask this... When you say "over run," does that mean dumping raw gas through the exhaust? I would think that would wreak havoc on mileage/emissions? Maybe a definition of over run perhaps?
Thanks!

Old 09-13-2017, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by Misujerr
I guess this is as good a thread as any to ask this... When you say "over run," does that mean dumping raw gas through the exhaust? I would think that would wreak havoc on mileage/emissions? Maybe a definition of over run perhaps?
Thanks!
Yup, yup and yup!

Misujerr (09-14-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 12:29 AM
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbourne
Yup, yup and yup!
Yikes... I'll never want to pop again knowing that
One dealer said that to me, but he didn't know much of anything else, so I said naaaaah....

Old 09-14-2017, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

One dealer said that to me, but he didn't know much of anything else, so I said naaaaah....
It is engineered to do so, however. They are zeee professionals.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member

It's designed to give great joy. To deny yourself is a sin to all that is petrol holy

Old 09-15-2017, 12:41 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mbourne
It's designed to give great joy. To deny yourself is a sin to all that is petrol holy
you can tell that this man celebrates Festivus with the rest of us.

Old 09-15-2017, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member

Airing of grievances pending

Old 09-16-2017, 02:57 AM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Does anyone know if JTB00495 applies to the S, or is it only for V8 models?

Quick Reply: How to get pops and crackles