F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How hard is it to find a manual F-Type S?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2021, 11:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How hard is it to find a manual F-Type S?

Hello, Been searching through the forums here and it seems like only a small number of F-Types were in fact produced with a 6 speed manual. I am looking for a Green or Grey manual S and there doesn't seem to be much out on the West Coast? Any suggestions on where to find such a rare beast? Thank you in advance!

Old 03-26-2021, 11:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

You reckon you're doing it tough?
Try living in Oz and hunting down your desired F-Type.
Not one, zero zip nada zilch manual F-Type for sale in the entire country!
And I have been looking for a used R for six years now, and again not one EVER advertised for sale in my state!
A handful in other states but the prices are horrendous and there are two reasons why I want a local one - to avoid the mahoosive stamp duty (a tax by any other word) you must pay to import a car from interstate, and the transport cost.
Looks like I will go to my grave with my current F-Type.

Old 03-26-2021, 11:42 PM
Received 208 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo G
Hello, Been searching through the forums here and it seems like only a small number of F-Types were in fact produced with a 6 speed manual. I am looking for a Green or Grey manual S and there doesn't seem to be much out on the West Coast? Any suggestions on where to find such a rare beast? Thank you in advance!
Welcome and yes they are super rare and hard to find. I have a thread dedicated to this subject. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...sision-240688/

Most owner's of manual F-Types are real enthusiast or ordered their car, this is specially true for the 2016 model year. That is a key reason why they don't exchange hands much as most original owners keep them. Most manual listings are found in the spring/summer months but not many. Usually less 10-15 are listed for sale per year. There have been around 25k F-Types sold in the US, a little more than 1k are manual so as you can see the available pool is really small. In the thread I posted above myself and others usually share listings when we see one pop up for sale.

Old 03-27-2021, 12:41 AM

Thank you for your replies! I did come across that thread as I always try to do my homework before asking questions on the forums! I do appreciate the responses and help with the search! It's hard to believe they didn't make more of these!

Old 03-27-2021, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

There just not that many MT F-types were made. People who REALLY wanted one, purchased new. People who wanted one waited to purchase the few remaining ones they came off the lease.

I suspect that most MT owners are buy-and-hold types, which adds to lack of availability of already uncommon car.

Old 03-28-2021, 09:22 AM
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been in hot pursuit of one for a while now. Be patient and they will come. There's a new one that pops up every two weeks or so. Do know that getting one is highly competitive. If you're not willing to throw down the money within 24 hours of it listed, you're just window shopping. There have been three that I've tried to pursue that have slipped through my fingers. Do your homework, look at recent listings, and know what to look out for and what to avoid. Get a hang of what the going prices are and know when you see a good deal. PM me for more details if you want. I'm hopefully finalizing the deal for one tomorrow!

Old 03-28-2021, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by danmandle
I have been in hot pursuit of one for a while now. Be patient and they will come. There's a new one that pops up every two weeks or so. Do know that getting one is highly competitive. If you're not willing to throw down the money within 24 hours of it listed, you're just window shopping. There have been three that I've tried to pursue that have slipped through my fingers. Do your homework, look at recent listings, and know what to look out for and what to avoid. Get a hang of what the going prices are and know when you see a good deal. PM me for more details if you want. I'm hopefully finalizing the deal for one tomorrow!
Thank you Dan! You going for that grey one in Chicago?

Old 03-28-2021, 10:36 AM

Thank you Dan! You going for that grey one in Chicago?
I am! Got the per-purchase inspection done yesterday and things look good! Were you one of the other 3+ people who were trying to get it?

Old 03-28-2021, 10:42 AM

I am! Got the per-purchase inspection done yesterday and things look good! Were you one of the other 3+ people who were trying to get it?
Yes sir I was! I will respectfully bow out of any further negotiations with that dealer and continue my search! Crazy we would cross paths on here!

Old 03-28-2021, 05:19 PM

So at least 4 people after the same manual F-Type. I think pretty soon owners will be able to start selling for a premium.

Old 03-28-2021, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

The Forum has once again proven its value to those searching and at the same time kudos to those that are being collegial as your searches overlap. The good and decent manners of this Forums membership once again in evidence,

The following users liked this post:
ferrral (03-29-2021)
Old 03-28-2021, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Ftyperegistry
So at least 4 people after the same manual F-Type. I think pretty soon owners will be able to start selling for a premium.
Not this guy. I'm keeping mine.

The following users liked this post:
danmandle (03-29-2021)
Old 03-29-2021, 01:34 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Turbo G, I'll chime in since you mentioned west coast. I searched (mostly window shopping due to timing - but it gave me a decent idea of the market) for probably 10 months to a year looking at V6 manual options in coupe only and I was willing to consider base model OR "S" and still the market was so so so slim, and my search radius was the entire USA. If you really want a manual F-Type S I would suggest opening up your search to the entire country and be ready to fly/have a car shipped after a local mechanic you trust does a PPI.

I feel like I actually got lucky with my car as I bought it out of Spokane, WA and I feel like the remote location + middle of winter purchase kept it available for just long enough for me to snag it at a great price.

Old 03-29-2021, 03:16 AM
Received 112 Likes on 76 Posts

I got lucky, I took a few days to decide and got a fair price as well. I attribute that to buying in the height of everything closing during the pandemic (June 2020).

As others have said, opening your search up to be nationwide is a must - also, I would honestly forget about color. Just get a wrap. Most of the manuals were 2016/2017, and as some come off of 38 month leases that window is closing this year. I imagine in the future it will be much harder to find one.

Old 03-29-2021, 09:11 AM

Yes sir I was! I will respectfully bow out of any further negotiations with that dealer and continue my search! Crazy we would cross paths on here!
I wish you the best of luck. I've had a few slip through my fingers and it's been a wild ride. I'll PM you a story that I hope doesn't happen to you. I've been looking nationwide for about six months now. Of the few that popped up, I got serious about 3 of them and this only one that I actually had the opportunity to buy before it got sold to someone else. One of them got sold within 8 hours of listing.

Last edited by danmandle; 03-29-2021 at 09:15 AM.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:19 AM

This might be useful for you or anyone else looking. Here is my bookmark list that I was checking daily. I have intentionally left the filters a little open because sellers often miss-input data and you don't want to miss out on one because of that.Once you find one, take a look at its history:If you need a Carfax for cheap, check out gooffood.com . It looks sketchy AF, but I've used it three times and have gotten the Carfax instantly.

Last edited by danmandle; 03-29-2021 at 09:25 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by danmandle:
Jim F (03-31-2021), Turbo G (03-29-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 12:44 AM
Received 112 Likes on 76 Posts

+1 for gooffood, used it several times.

Old 03-30-2021, 01:12 PM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Thank you for your replies! I did come across that thread as I always try to do my homework before asking questions on the forums! I do appreciate the responses and help with the search! It's hard to believe they didn't make more of these!
Be wary...even confirming that it has a Gen 4 clutch won't put you in the clear. The failures of Jaguar North America at resolution have me seriously considering putting mine on the market.

Old 03-30-2021, 03:28 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting topic, I actually intend to list my manual '16 F-Type S coupe within the next week or so. An upcoming move after the summer and swath of vehicles just don't mix, and I'd like to give myself enough time to find the right buyer vs. feeling like I am rushed sell.

The tough part I am finding is where to price a manually spec'd vehicle in relation to similar automatics as there are so few examples. Contemplating heading to BringaTrailer as I've had success with them in the past, but the process is very slow and tedious (took two months to list my E46 M3!) and occasionally they'll want a low reserve to ensure the vehicle is sold.

Unfortunately, I'm on the East Coast and IRR, not Green or Gray - so I can't help you OP, but best of luck on your search. Once you get one hang onto it as long as you can, I expect these will go up in value as they become more and more rare!

Old 03-30-2021, 05:39 PM

What about listing it on carsandbids.com ?

Quick Reply: How hard is it to find a manual F-Type S?