F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How hard is it to find a manual F-Type S?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2021, 10:08 PM
Received 205 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by mbelanger
Be wary...even confirming that it has a Gen 4 clutch won't put you in the clear. The failures of Jaguar North America at resolution have me seriously considering putting mine on the market.

I wonder if anyone has put in an aftermarket clutch yet (or any other transmission components)?

I keep waiting to see such a story pop up, since it's something that I expect to have to deal with eventually.

Old 03-31-2021, 09:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

We don't yet know there is an issue with 4th gen clutch. The two earliest 4th gen clutches that were installed (parts were taken off production line) were Unhingd and mine. They are still holding. We are not exactly driving these cars to Bingo nights on Sundays...

The following 2 users liked this post by SinF:
danmandle (03-31-2021), Luc Lapierre (04-03-2021)
Old 04-02-2021, 08:42 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ftyperegistry
What about listing it on carsandbids.com ?
I've given some thought to carsandbids but I don't feel like it's quite there yet in users/visibility. Judging from the interest here, will likely put it up on here for Forum Members as I await to hear from BaT. Plan to photograph the car Monday/Tuesday of next week.

Old 04-03-2021, 08:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Luc Lapierre
I wonder if anyone has put in an aftermarket clutch yet (or any other transmission components)?

I keep waiting to see such a story pop up, since it's something that I expect to have to deal with eventually.
When my Gen4 clutch finally fails I’ll install the SPEC clutch and flywheel. Since they are the prototypes built to my specifications, I think they are the only aftermarket units that exist.

Last edited by Unhingd; 04-03-2021 at 08:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Luc Lapierre (04-03-2021)
Old 04-05-2021, 02:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems a warranty covering this clutch issue is a quite the thing! Are there truly no aftermarket solutions to this problem outside of the generation 4 clutch repair?

Old 04-05-2021, 03:51 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo G
It seems a warranty covering this clutch issue is a quite the thing! Are there truly no aftermarket solutions to this problem outside of the generation 4 clutch repair?
Given the rarity of manuals, I suspect there's not really the market to justify the investment.

Old 04-06-2021, 09:45 AM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
When my Gen4 clutch finally fails I’ll install the SPEC clutch and flywheel. Since they are the prototypes built to my specifications, I think they are the only aftermarket units that exist.
Chalk up a Gen 4 failure. I am back to the exact same issues that led to the Gen 1 being replaced. The vehicle is still equipped with the Gen 1 flywheel...

Experienced it last night leaving work going 1st to 2nd and then later on, where I had a clear stretch of road, experienced it going 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th. And because I would have hit 60K miles today, I am now stuck AGAIN being unable to take my car out of the garage until I hear back from Jaguar.

Old 04-06-2021, 10:19 AM
Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by mbelanger
Chalk up a Gen 4 failure. I am back to the exact same issues that led to the Gen 1 being replaced. The vehicle is still equipped with the Gen 1 flywheel...

Experienced it last night leaving work going 1st to 2nd and then later on, where I had a clear stretch of road, experienced it going 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th. And because I would have hit 60K miles today, I am now stuck AGAIN being unable to take my car out of the garage until I hear back from Jaguar.
This is not good to hear. How many miles did you get out of it?

I'm at 40K miles and my CPO warranty is up in early July (not that it would cover the clutch anyway) on what I suspect is likely one of the first 2nd gen clutches installed from factory . I have contemplated ordering the whole 4th gen assembly just to have the parts on hand in order to avoid some of the horror stories about waiting 6 weeks for the local JLR dealerships to get the parts in.

If anyone has any bright ideas about getting a group buy on an aftermarket clutch assembly for our cars, I am all ears.

Old 04-06-2021, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by rbsj
This is not good to hear. How many miles did you get out of it?

I'm at 40K miles and my CPO warranty is up in early July (not that it would cover the clutch anyway) on what I suspect is likely one of the first 2nd gen clutches installed from factory . I have contemplated ordering the whole 4th gen assembly just to have the parts on hand in order to avoid some of the horror stories about waiting 6 weeks for the local JLR dealerships to get the parts in.

If anyone has any bright ideas about getting a group buy on an aftermarket clutch assembly for our cars, I am all ears.
The first one was replaced inside of 3K miles although the problem showed its head inside of 1K miles. I took delivery in late October 2017 with the car never titled and never in service, with about 300 miles on the clock. The clutch was replaced in late December 2017 as I recall. I now have just shy of 60K miles, almost all of which are highway miles. No track time and very rare with anything resembling shifting at or near redline. I basically commute about 60 miles daily, down from roughly 100 daily.

So...with basic highway driving, this one went about three years and perhaps 57K miles. By contrast, my X-Type went almost 140K miles before the flywheel crapped out, necessitating new flywheel and clutch. The other X-Type went at least 150K miles. My Miata was well into six-figures and my Mustang LX 5.0 got a new clutch at 205K miles (all but 108 put on by me). Even my F-350 4x4 was north of 125K on the original clutch when it was totaled. Suffice it to say, I do a lot of driving but also have a lot of seat time with manual transmissions and what reasonable expectations for clutch life might be).

Old 04-06-2021, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member

Not good. Can you please re-post all the info in the clutch thread for everyone that tracking this? Here is the link: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...action-158861/

Also, hopefully this failure due to improper install (you suppose to update flywheel and clutch, not just one of them).

Old 04-06-2021, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by SinF
Not good. Can you please re-post all the info in the clutch thread for everyone that tracking this? Here is the link: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...action-158861/

Also, hopefully this failure due to improper install (you suppose to update flywheel and clutch, not just one of them).
Copied and pasted to the other thread...

SinF (04-09-2021)
Old 04-07-2021, 06:11 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I've listed mine for sale in the Marketplace as a pre-cursor to BaT for those interested in skipping out on the commission fee!

Old 04-07-2021, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by rbsj
Lance (Unhingd) had a clutch and lightweight single-mass flywheel made up. The pressure plate is supposedly compatible with the stock flywheel, so one could retain the dual-mass unit if desired. I'm not sure a group buy would be needed to get one, but don't think anyone has tried it.

Old 04-07-2021, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member

If you are anything but perfect driver, lightweight single-mass flywheel would make it much harder to drive and much easier to damage. Its MT equivalent of slamming the car, sure it looks cool, but then you have to live with that, sometimes in traffic.

Old 04-08-2021, 07:26 PM
Received 141 Likes on 90 Posts

Well .. I am late to this thread, but my experiences are relevant....
1) I purchased my 2017 6MT BRG in Nov of last year (after it came off 36 month lease)
2) I purchased it sight unseen for full asking price (1 hour after it was listed on Cars.com)
no ability to negotiate if you want to closes the deal quickly
Four other guys were behind me in line and there were pissed it sold so quickly,
3) I noticed clutch slip at mid RPM/mid throttle shifts as soon as I got the car (probably 1st gen flywheel, 2nd gen clutch)
4) I recently called a dealer and they say ... slip=maintenance, failure = warrantee
Rather than force the clutch to failure, I will update it ...

So I will check out Lance’s / Unhgnd custom flywheel and clutch from SPEC as well as JLR OEM parts.
Thinking of swapping it out myself, or working with local shop.
(Still looking for repair manual section 308 = manual transmission)

Herminator
p.s. My car is a “Premium” non S car (340 hp) ... but it had the color and interior that I wanted, so “close enough” prevailed as I hustled to make a deal in the first hour after it hit the market.

Last edited by HermanWiegman; 04-08-2021 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Additional detail
Old 04-09-2021, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member

If you have slipping clutch, all you have to do is drive it hard and failure will occur. Keep in mind, second generation clutch does not tend to slip, it is exactly opposite of that - it grabs too hard, behaves like a racing clutch, and everything else crumbles to dust around it.

I really liked 2nd gen clutch, until both differential and transmission had shavings in the oil. I think I am THE REASON they quickly deprecated that clutch design, as I was one of the first few people to get it installed and one of the few who drove it hard.

Last edited by SinF; 04-09-2021 at 08:59 AM.
rbsj (04-10-2021)
Old 04-09-2021, 07:52 PM
Received 205 Likes on 120 Posts

If you are anything but perfect driver, lightweight single-mass flywheel would make it much harder to drive and much easier to damage.
Well then, surely that's not a problem here, since every single MT owner on this forum no doubt believes him/herself to be exactly that

Old 04-10-2021, 07:08 AM
Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

If you have slipping clutch, all you have to do is drive it hard and failure will occur. Keep in mind, second generation clutch does not tend to slip, it is exactly opposite of that - it grabs too hard, behaves like a racing clutch, and everything else crumbles to dust around it.

I really liked 2nd gen clutch, until both differential and transmission had shavings in the oil. I think I am THE REASON they quickly deprecated that clutch design, as I was one of the first few people to get it installed and one of the few who drove it hard.
SinF, when did JLR install the 2nd generation clutch in your car (month/year)? I would like to know if it was about the production time of mine, because the more you describe its feel the more I'm convinced that that is what I have in my car (I wish there was a way of determining this). The difference is, I haven't typically driven my car very hard or tracked it. Granted, there has been a time or two when pulling out into traffic on the way to Bingo that I didn't notice that someone was coming up on me faster than first thought and I had to light'em up, but that is by far and away the exception rather than the rule.Wink

Old 04-10-2021, 07:35 AM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Turbo G
i have a 2017 F type S manual convertible grey. With low mileage. (6255) loaded...I’ve always but her up in the winter and as such has she never seen a snow flake and always been garaged. I have loved this Jag but have come to the physical reality that my clutch knee is no longer cooperating as 50 years of volleyball and construction have taken a toll. I haven’t advertised this car yet but saw your inquiry on the Jag forum. If interested email me at jwvball@roadrunner.com and I’ll send pics and specs.
My jag forum name johnnyrotten666

John Warner

Turbo G (04-16-2021)
Old 04-10-2021, 03:53 PM
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I have a 2017 F-Type S in British racing green with 36,000 miles on it. I had it custom built and took delivery of it on April 30th, 2016. That's right, April 30th 2016. It's going to be out of warranty within the month. I'd sell it, but there's no other car out there that gets me excited. I'm on my 3rd clutch. The first two just broke. It did act up recently again. I had a hard time getting it in to 1st gear after it warmed up. I made it to work, but wouldn't risk driving to the dealership. They hauled it in, but couldn't replicate the problem. I got it back and have driven it a few times without issue. I'm very perplexed. If it's going to fail, I hope that it does so by the end of the month.

Quick Reply: How hard is it to find a manual F-Type S?