F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How hard is it to find a manual F-Type S?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2021, 02:51 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

TLDR: I like Edmunds. Try focusing on other requirements besides the color. Act fast and hope it is local. Out of state is likely to sell locally. Sending what luck I have to you and your search!

I'm new to the forum, and sorry for the long post. Wanted to share my ongoing experience. I have been window shopping nationwide for green M/T F-Type S coupe with vision package for more than half a year now. More aggressively in the last few months. I find Edmunds the best in terms of accuracy and updates. AutoTempest is pulling in results from sites like Carvana and incorrectly listing automatic F-Types as manual. I need to constantly verify by looking at the interior pictures.

Found a green M/T base on opposite side of country at a Jaguar dealership with an interior that will need TLC. I got as far as talking to the sales manager, but being out of state I was pretty much ignored and the car was sold locally. I was ready to pay sales price plus the $2.6k enclosed shipping. No communication that the car was sold. I just found out when the listing was updated.

I stopped caring about the color and just focused on finding a clean manual F-Type with vision package. I was about to overpay for an untested car that needed interior work (maybe exterior) just because it was green.

Happy ending still in progress because fate blessed me with a silver M/T F-Type S coupe with vision package. I got in contact with the sales manager a few hours after the car was listed on Edmunds. 24-48 hours later, all paperwork signed and pending enclosed shipment to my home. I may not have gotten the color I wanted, but was able to secure a better conditioned, more powerful F-Type at pretty much the same price. It did help that this dealership was about 120 miles from my location so I was able to drive out and test the car. Luck had a lot to do with this purchase.

https://www.edmunds.com/inventory/sr...00&make=jaguar

The following 2 users liked this post by OneTinyFatGuy:
HermanWiegman (04-17-2021), Luc Lapierre (04-15-2021)
Old 04-15-2021, 03:58 AM
Received 204 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by OneTinyFatGuy

I stopped caring about the color and just focused on finding a clean manual F-Type with vision package.
Same.
I figured: colour isn't part of the driving experience anyway.
At worst I'll just get a wrap one of these days.

Old 04-15-2021, 04:12 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 1,122 Posts

F-Types look good in any colour!

Old 04-15-2021, 06:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by mbelanger
Chalk up a Gen 4 failure. I am back to the exact same issues that led to the Gen 1 being replaced. The vehicle is still equipped with the Gen 1 flywheel...

Experienced it last night leaving work going 1st to 2nd and then later on, where I had a clear stretch of road, experienced it going 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th. And because I would have hit 60K miles today, I am now stuck AGAIN being unable to take my car out of the garage until I hear back from Jaguar.
How many miles on the Gen 4 clutch? 60k miles on a 3600 lb car is not bad at all for any clutch. Normal wear and tear in my book.

Old 04-15-2021, 06:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
If you are anything but perfect driver, lightweight single-mass flywheel would make it much harder to drive and much easier to damage. Its MT equivalent of slamming the car, sure it looks cool, but then you have to live with that, sometimes in traffic.
The clutch pedal is not an on off switch. This is the only car I’ve ever had (all manual) with a dual-mass flywheel. Have never torn up a driveline on any of them. Yes, a dual-mass is easier for manual newbies to adapt to.

Old 04-15-2021, 01:02 PM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
How many miles on the Gen 4 clutch? 60k miles on a 3600 lb car is not bad at all for any clutch. Normal wear and tear in my book.
If they had been city/traffic miles, I might have been inclined to agree...but that is almost exclusively highway mileage. And I have NEVER gotten less than six figures out of a clutch...even both X-Types went north of 130K miles before they gave up the ghost (one had moved on with an ex by the time it gave way). The Miata was close to 200K and my one-ton was still on the original at ~130K miles when it got totaled. My Mustang LX5.0 coupe got its first clutch at about 205K miles (although it was on its second engine, with Ford replacing the original under warranty when an oil pump failed).

Old 05-05-2021, 08:12 PM
Received 89 Likes on 51 Posts
Cool Convertible 6 speed MT

Originally Posted by Bret_T
I have a 2017 F-Type S in British racing green with 36,000 miles on it. I had it custom built and took delivery of it on April 30th, 2016. That's right, April 30th 2016. It's going to be out of warranty within the month. I'd sell it, but there's no other car out there that gets me excited. I'm on my 3rd clutch. The first two just broke. It did act up recently again. I had a hard time getting it in to 1st gear after it warmed up. I made it to work, but wouldn't risk driving to the dealership. They hauled it in, but couldn't replicate the problem. I got it back and have driven it a few times without issue. I'm very perplexed. If it's going to fail, I hope that it does so by the end of the month.
After shopping online for a couple of days this post is the first proof I've seen that what I want exists. That being an F-Type convertible with a MT. Is finding an MT Vert a hopeless cause? Any suggestions on where and how to look besides the ones posted in this thread?

Old 05-05-2021, 09:46 PM
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I did a search on Autotrader and there are seven manual transmission F-Types for sale across the country, but none of them are convertibles. That seems odd to me. I did order mine. Perhaps Jaguar didn't make them except for those that were ordered.

Old 05-06-2021, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I also have a manual convertible F-type S. I didn't order mine, but considering options on it, it is likely someone ordered it and didn't take delivery.

Old 05-14-2021, 03:09 PM
Default Transmission Swap

Does anyone have any knowledge about what it would take to swap a Jag spec ZX S6-45 6 speed MT into an S with an automatic? If this were feasible I'd want to do it with all Jag parts, to Jag spec. Make it mechanically identical to one that was MT from the factory. What would it take besides the transmission and engine control unit? Drive shaft? Differential? ???

If this is not an insane idea, what shop would you recommend discussing this with? I'm open to any US or Canadian option.

Old 05-14-2021, 03:23 PM

I think that the only way you could pull that off would be to get the parts out of a totaled car. Considering that Jaguar quoted me over $4,000 just to replace a clutch (before they covered it under warranty), I don't want to imagine what they'd charge for all that.

Old 05-14-2021, 09:28 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

The center console would be different, I think. A small thing, compared to the others.

Old 05-15-2021, 08:49 AM
Received 141 Likes on 90 Posts

I have done auto to manual transmission swaps in the past on Volvo Turbo wagons.
The largest hurdle is the availability of parts, which is limited to less than 4000 F-type Manual cars in the US over the 2016-18 model years.
@Bret_T had the right advise, first procure a parts car (a totaled manual car).... look at the auction sites.
Here is an example search on one such site: Dealer Auction Site-JaguarF-type
(Note: one of the cars listed is an S-model, and it is an Manual... just FYI)
Expect to pay between $5k and $15k depending upon damage.
The swap of components should be straight forward, assuming the target S model is a 2WD variant and not a AWD.
Yes, it involves many components:
transmission, flywheel, pilot bearing, mounting hardware, drive shaft, interior shift linkage, pedal cluster, reverse light switch, etc..
The real challenge to this whole adventure is the Body Control Module and software interface to the transmission.
The target car's BCM will be looking to the Automatic Transmission for up/down shift signals to pass along to the Engine Control Module
This is an integral link that may throw error codes galore if the Automatic transmission is not present.
I have seen one BMW tranny swap integrate the old Auto transmission control board into the Manual swapped car, and set the inputs to "park" and connect it to the BCM to "fool the controller" into thinking it was just in Park.

Good thread.. I'll be watching this one.

The following users liked this post:
DJS (05-15-2021)
Old 05-15-2021, 11:29 AM

I'll add one more thing. The transmission used in the F-Type S is the same one used in the 2014 BMW 435i (and others I'm sure). Obviously there are more components involved as listed above.

Old 05-15-2021, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 284 Likes on 171 Posts

There are plenty of manuals for sale...

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...issionCode=MAN

Old 05-17-2021, 01:02 AM

Given the input above it seems likely that a swap would cost more than just waiting for the right MT S to come along, even if they do seem to sell at quite a premium. Plus Herman's insights into the BCM electronics sound like a good reason to expect a rabbit hole.

Old 06-01-2021, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 284 Likes on 171 Posts