F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to install sport steering wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 03:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default How to install sport steering wheel?

I have a sport steering wheel sitting in my room waiting to be installed. Does anyone have any instructions on how to swap the steering wheel?

Old 07-26-2017, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

For an F-type - no.

But generally, you're going to have release the airbag, power the car down and leave it for a few minutes before removing and disconnecting the airbag, then undo the nut that holds it in place on the splines of the steering column, disconnect the wheel loom from the connectors/slip-ring, swap over the paddle-shifters, and then go through the whole fitting is the reverse of removal routine.

Key points are likely to be figuring out how to release the airbag, and making sure you put the wheel on straight with the slip ring in the correct alignment.

The nut holding the wheel on is likely to be an unusual size, and will be done up darn tight.

HTH.

Old 07-27-2017, 08:38 AM

Yeah the issue I'm having is figuring out how to release the airbag. I'm thinking maybe the steering column covers have to come off and that exposes the screws/torx holding the airbag in place.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:03 AM
Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

the airbag module can be released by using a special tool as shown .
snap fit on both sides.

Regards
Ulrich

Attached Thumbnails How to install sport steering wheel?-airbag.jpg  
Old 07-27-2017, 10:13 AM
Received 402 Likes on 212 Posts

I would ask your local dealer to see if they would do it free; I upgraded the steering wheel on my first F-TYPE. I asked my dealer that I bought the car from ..service manager said that it only takes about 30 minutes to do so he didn't charge me. By the time I was done with my coffee and donut, it was all good to go.

Before:

After:

Old 07-27-2017, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by f-driver
the airbag module can be released by using a special tool as shown .
snap fit on both sides.

Regards
Ulrich
Thanks for that! This leaves me with more questions. If the battery is disconnected, can you still move the steering wheel? Otherwise you must release the airbag prior to disconnecting the battery, which would freak me out.
Originally Posted by WhiteTardis
I would ask your local dealer to see if they would do it free; I upgraded the steering wheel on my first F-TYPE. I asked my dealer that I bought the car from ..service manager said that it only takes about 30 minutes to do so he didn't charge me. By the time I was done with my coffee and donut, it was all good to go.
I think I will take this advice. I need to take the car in to have the rear cargo cover fixed anyway so I'll ask them to swap the wheel then. It seems like the panels aren't installed correctly so the cargo cover slides off of the mounting points every time I open or close the hatch.

Last edited by wakemcs; 07-27-2017 at 10:46 AM.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Are you sure the brackets on the cargo cover are securely seating over the pins?
Because it's very easy to think you have put the cover back in properly but one or both brackets are sitting loosely on top of the pins rather than around the pins. Best bet is to poke your head in underneath the cover and have a good look, then reposition the bracket(s) if necessary.
Also, and I've mentioned this several times before, to get a good tight fit and to prevent rattling, wrap the pins in electrical tape, at least 10 or 12 winds around each pin.

Old 07-28-2017, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Are you sure the brackets on the cargo cover are securely seating over the pins?
Because it's very easy to think you have put the cover back in properly but one or both brackets are sitting loosely on top of the pins rather than around the pins. Best bet is to poke your head in underneath the cover and have a good look, then reposition the bracket(s) if necessary.
Also, and I've mentioned this several times before, to get a good tight fit and to prevent rattling, wrap the pins in electrical tape, at least 10 or 12 winds around each pin.
Thanks for the tips. I'm positive that I am putting the cover on properly. I can see where the passenger side rail/panel is sagging. In contrast, the driver side rail/panel does not sag. It is my impression that the passenger panel needs to be removed and reinstalled correctly and that will largely resolve my issue. However, I'll like wrap the pins in felt tape to guarantee a more secure fit.

Old 07-28-2017, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Maybe take a look at eBay sales of f-type steering wheels to see where the mounting holes for the airbag are.

Old 04-04-2020, 07:12 PM
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

Wrong forum, goatman.