F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How are Jaguar / Dealers Not Aware of this???

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2022, 09:03 AM
Received 190 Likes on 95 Posts
Exclamation How are Jaguar / Dealers Not Aware of this???

4 times now over 5 years.....Car will NOT go to sleep, interior hazard light stays on never shuts off.
If you don't keep car hooked up to charger, battery will drain, won't be able to even get in car except for hidden emergency key.
Then battery will have to be disconnected for 15 secs or....if you can't get into the trunk....has to be jumped and that still may not work.

Does anyone with Jaguar care? NO!!! I've explained this problem to dealer multiple times. Happened AGAIN

There is a software/computer glitch....when dealer disconnects their code reader....if battery is not disconnected and reconnected.....when you get home, your car will sit in the garage and be dead the next day.

Last night, my dealer reset all the computers claiming this would permanently fix the issue instead of disconnecting the battery and reconnecting.

It's fixed...for now.

Old 08-12-2022, 09:30 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 1,122 Posts

My independent has never caused this issue when connecting to the OBD port. Nor my local dealer.

The following users liked this post:
Mahjik (08-12-2022)
Old 08-12-2022, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
Nor my local dealer.
+1

Although I may have just jinxed myself...

Old 08-12-2022, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 559 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
My independent has never caused this issue when connecting to the OBD port. Nor my local dealer.
My local dealer is 4/5 (4 times good, 1 bad). That one time they screwed up they would not own up to it. I literally bailed on my final free oil change from them as they screwed up the oil change every time.

Old 08-12-2022, 11:40 AM
Received 136 Likes on 110 Posts

I've explained this problem to dealer multiple times.
Dealer... singular. I wonder if the OP is using one data point (one dealer) to conclude that it's true everywhere. Neither my Jag dealer nor an independent shop has caused this issue.

Last edited by kb58; 08-12-2022 at 11:44 AM.
sov211 (08-12-2022)
Old 08-12-2022, 11:47 AM
Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

I think that has something to do with them not closing the session correctly when they disconnect their scanner if I remember what I've read right.

mbelanger (08-17-2022)
Old 08-12-2022, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,261 Likes on 1,366 Posts

My dealer has never caused this issue with my car.

Old 08-12-2022, 12:17 PM
Received 136 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by crashxx
I think that has something to do with them not closing the session correctly when they disconnect their scanner if I remember what I've read right.
Right - this thread is about whether the dealer knows how to correct the situation, and it appears most do.

Old 08-12-2022, 01:01 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

From what I saw in another group, its a Gateway Module/Instrument Cluster update that needs to be applied. Try asking for that.

Jaguar1611 (08-12-2022)
Old 08-12-2022, 11:53 PM
Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts

Obviously who ever the tech at that particular dealership is just lazy or sloppy or both and not closing the session properly. Looks like OP will just need to do the battery disconnect every single time he goes there which is obviously frustrating and shouldn’t have to be done

Last edited by Borbor; 08-13-2022 at 12:08 AM.
Old 08-13-2022, 11:09 AM
Received 76 Likes on 41 Posts

FWIW, I posed that same question when I took my MY21 in for its first maintenance. The service rep claimed that they use an automated computer program to connect to the OBD2, which supposedly automatically issues the code to close the port. Perhaps mumbo jumbo, but at least HE was aware of the issue.

I actually did get the dreaded "Please start engine" since then. But I've since attributed that my being stuck in a ferry line for nearly two hours. Since then, whenever I expect that I'll be sitting in the car for awhile, I make sure I first open the door briefly to trigger the shut-down sequence.

Googling around, this seems to be more common in the States than elsewhere... possibly due to over-abundant smog checks and cheap help..

But, a dead battery four times out of five? I'd put this in the category of "Fool me once...". Just sayin...

Old 08-13-2022, 11:42 AM
Received 177 Likes on 97 Posts

My dealer has never caused this to happen but it happens every year when I go for my state's inspection.

To me the bigger issue is that JLR never bothered to fix the software so that it doesn't happen in the first place.

Old 08-13-2022, 03:16 PM
Received 98 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Lani Kai

To me the bigger issue is that JLR never bothered to fix the software so that it doesn't happen in the first place.
Just like the "sticky buttons". It was a problem for various manufacturers for 10 to15 years. Sad.

Old 08-13-2022, 11:21 PM
Received 259 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by theEIger
FWIW, I posed that same question when I took my MY21 in for its first maintenance. The service rep claimed that they use an automated computer program to connect to the OBD2, which supposedly automatically issues the code to close the port. Perhaps mumbo jumbo, but at least HE was aware of the issue.

I actually did get the dreaded "Please start engine" since then. But I've since attributed that my being stuck in a ferry line for nearly two hours. Since then, whenever I expect that I'll be sitting in the car for awhile, I make sure I first open the door briefly to trigger the shut-down sequence.

Googling around, this seems to be more common in the States than elsewhere... possibly due to over-abundant smog checks and cheap help..

But, a dead battery four times out of five? I'd put this in the category of "Fool me once...". Just sayin...

Thank you - did not realize that if you shut the car down but stay in the car and do not open the door you drain the battery....

That begs a crazy question...if you run the remote starter....and just get stuck doing something and never end up driving the car from that start, will that also cause the battery to run down (as the door doesn't open at all...)?

Only time this happened to me so far is the state OBDII emissions testing process that one uses via self serve kiosk here. I followed the whole thing to the letter and disconnected it as instructed and the battery died a few days later...reconditioned the AGM via the CTEK smart charger over about 20 hours so no harm likely done...). Dealer and indy readers have not caused issues. Suspect the OP dealer tech is not waiting to shut it down or the particular car had an issue that is hopefully now fixed via the resets.

Old 08-17-2022, 05:20 PM
Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

For what it is worth, my passenger side door handle was the cause of my parasitic drain. My OBD scanner has never caused an issue. It took awhile to find the drain in the door handle and yes the hazard triangle is an indication something was up.

Old 08-17-2022, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 559 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by theEIger

Not dead four times, dead one time. 4 out of 5 times they got it right, not the other way around.

Old 08-18-2022, 11:35 AM
Received 76 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by eeeeek
Not dead four times, dead one time. 4 out of 5 times they got it right, not the other way around.
Sorry Vik, my bad. I was trying to refer to the OP's situation where the condition that would have caused a dead battery happened four times in 5 years.

I'm inferring from your post that you took your local dealer's attitude as a trigger to look elsewhere for your next service. I'm just saying the the OP could have considered a similar response.

From what I've been able to determine, the BMS has a pretty complicated set of triggers and responses. Presumably, starting the ignition should be able to reset those triggers to a default condition - something like a POST when firing up/rebooting a PC - so that the BMS would 'know' that the battery should not be discharging when the ignition is off. But that, it seems, would also clear trigger/response/condition history, which is apparently not desirable. Methinks the JLR engineers had created a Catch-22 situation, and are not sure how to get out of it, other than the no-recourse disconnect-the-battery solution. Sadly, that seems to be a common solution for most electrical problems, like Microsoft's three-fingered salute.