F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long to get build date?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 09:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long to get build date?

Hello guys. I submitted my deposit over a month ago for a MY17 F-Type S and still have not received any solid confirmation on an allocation. Is this normal? Every time I ping the dealer they say they will have the information for me shortly and then another week passes with zero contact.

Old 08-12-2016, 12:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

That's not normal. Which dealer are you working with?
In California your deposits are refundable so I would suggest telling the dealer that unless they get you a build date you want your deposit back and will order with someone else.

Then take the price and get another dealer to match it and secure a build slot before you order.

Old 08-12-2016, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by schraderade
That's not normal. Which dealer are you working with?
In California your deposits are refundable so I would suggest telling the dealer that unless they get you a build date you want your deposit back and will order with someone else.

Then take the price and get another dealer to match it and secure a build slot before you order.
On that point. My dealer also said we won't discuss price until after the car arrives, is that not normal either. This is San Francisco British Motors I'm working with.

Old 08-12-2016, 12:38 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jameel Gbajabiamila
On that point. My dealer also said we won't discuss price until after the car arrives, is that not normal either. This is San Francisco British Motors I'm working with.
Run away!!!!
I called dealers all over the bay area when i bought mine and SFBM was the hardest to deal with. They are the least flexible on price (city is too wealthy so they just don't care).

If you have a build sheet, I would call around to find a dealer with a firm price and a real production slot. If they don't have a slot they may be able to find one from another dealer with a similar build and have it transferred.

When I ordered my car (from San Jose Jaguar) I had a firm price and a firm build date.

Old 08-12-2016, 07:52 AM
Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by schraderade
Run away!!!!
+1 They obviously don't respect you as a valued customer. Why would you deal with them?

Old 08-12-2016, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

My dealer also said we won't discuss price until after the car arrives.
You are being had. Walk away right now.

Old 08-12-2016, 02:04 PM
Default Apology for Poor Service

Hello guys. I submitted my deposit over a month ago for a MY17 F-Type S and still have not received any solid confirmation on an allocation. Is this normal? Every time I ping the dealer they say they will have the information for me shortly and then another week passes with zero contact.

Jameel- my name is Kip Miles, I am the Executive General Manager at British Motor Car in SF. I want to apologize for our poor communication, it is clear we did not follow through and you should expect a higher level of Service from our Company. There is no excuse for this level of service.

In your email this morning is the build sheet and ETA of build; please review it for complete accuracy to your desired specifications. We have until 9/8/2016 to make any changes to the order, after that is becomes final.

Again, I apologize for our lack of proper customer service. If I can be of any service to you now or in the future please reach out to me via email kmiles@bmcd.com

Old 08-12-2016, 06:45 PM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

Can't ask from more than that from a GM.

My experience with GM's is that they want happy customers. The single time that I've had to escalate to a GM, my issue was resolved within hours and she gave me her personal cell phone #. In my case (and probably yours as well) somebody's pee pee got whacked.

Old 08-12-2016, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dogbreath!
Can't ask from more than that from a GM.
This is all hot air blah blah. They talked him into putting money down without agreeing on the price. This is like signing blank check.

I got a beer bet that the final price will be above MSPR, with window etching, paint protection, and electronic rust control module fees all tacked on.

I can't wait until Tesla's business model runs these parasites out of town.

Old 08-12-2016, 08:33 PM
Veteran Member

I think the GM did the right thing here...the willingness to apologize and try to make it right is something we'd all want from dealers.

It's up to Jameel as a customer to take the wisdom from the community now and work out a deal with better price and delivery transparency.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:09 PM
Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

Jameel should not proceed with this dealer unless he has a firm acceptable price, including all extras and hidden fees, etc. I had every number and all was honored with integrity and respect for me the customer at the time I ordered my car. No less should be expected. I continue to be treated royally as a long time customer by the dealership here, and I am a first time Jaguar buyer.

Old 08-13-2016, 02:48 AM

Thanks everyone. The GM did contact me today about the build order and apologized for the inconvenience, which I truly appreciate. At least in regards to this matter I believe the way the GM handled this issue was acceptable and shows he cares about how his customers are treated.

In terms of the price. I will start working with the GM to negotiate on a fair price. If we can't reach a good deal, I can always walk away and take my deposit back. It's not the end of the world if I am forced to walk. Love the car, but its not something I have to buy from someone who is not willing to give me a good deal. I'll just have to go somewhere else and start the waiting process again.

Old 08-13-2016, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member

Jameel,

First go to Jaguar USA website to see what promotions are running: 2016 Jaguar F-TYPE - Lease & Financing Offers | Jaguar USA Looks like there is $3,000 customer credit promotion going on. While they advertise 2016, the same discount would apply to your optioned car.

Second, write to a couple Jaguars dealerships asking for all-inclusive quotes. State that you already put refundable deposit, but the dealer can't secure you a build slot so you are considering moving elsewhere. Write directly to sales manager of each dealership and don't bother with any that insist you come in person. Then take the best quote you get and ask your dealer to match it. If they don't improve on it (even by 250$) go to that other dealer.

Third, consider taking a car off the lot. Maybe something close to what you want already exist? You can easily save $3-5K that way. They will discount more on a car they have than one they have to order.

Forth, if your sales person ever "let me talk to the manager", either walk away or go talk to the manager yourself. At that point your salesperson attempting to pressure sales you. The same applies to 'today price only' (no such thing).

Fifth, make sure Freight and PDI numbers are what JLR specifies. Dealer can try to charge more but they are not entitled. They can quote you $5K off MSRP but tackle on $2K into fees. This way always talk in everything included price.

Sixth, never buy any extras like paint protection or extended warranty. If you are interested in those, buy directly from non-dealer vendors at SUBSTANTIAL discount.

Last edited by SinF; 08-13-2016 at 08:07 AM.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
Jameel,

First go to Jaguar USA website to see what promotions are running: 2016 Jaguar F-TYPE - Lease & Financing Offers | Jaguar USA Looks like there is $3,000 customer credit promotion going on. While they advertise 2016, the same discount would apply to your optioned car.
Why would you assume that this offer would apply to 2017s? That is most certainly not true. It's an incentive designed to move existing 2016 stock.

Old 08-13-2016, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Nati
Why would you assume that this offer would apply to 2017s? That is most certainly not true. It's an incentive designed to move existing 2016 stock.
This is true, the incentive is to move 2016 models, but I have heard others had this incentive applied on their MY17 cars as well; however, by the time my car would arrive. ~Late Nov/Early Dec, I am sure these incentive will be gone. SinF thanks for the advice, I'm going to do my due diligence to make sure I have a competitive offer. Finding the car I want on the lot has been pretty hard, as I am looking for a S, vert, manual, storm grey, with red interior, & vision.

Last edited by Jameel Gbajabiamila; 08-13-2016 at 09:48 AM.