F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many miles out of the rear stock Pirelli's?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 06:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthPilot
All season tires are a con in my opinion. You are better off with winter and summer.
+1, you're living with compromised performance in both seasons.

Unlike so many others around here, I'm reasonably satisfied with PZeros. Mine are showing zero signs of wear at 6K, and I think the warm weather handling is superb.

You do have to seriously dial back your driving style in cold weather, which any sane person should be doing, and they do OK. However, I absolutely stay away from frozen precipitation with them and don't drive the car when that is likely.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
However, I absolutely stay away from frozen precipitation with them and don't drive the car when that is likely.
I'm guessing you are not driving it today.

Last edited by Unhingd; 01-26-2015 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lhoboy
I'm guessing you are not driving it today.
Yes, today is a Jeep day.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:13 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Found out this evening that since the 19 inch wheels have a 9.5 inch width, the safe size to increase to would be 285/35/19s, up from the stock 275s. Going to up to 295 will push the sidewalls in too much and force you to underinflate the tires, or risk getting a poor tire contact patch. I would rather keep the tires inflated properly and have some peace of mind.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:00 AM
Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts

I must say I was surprised how little throttle in a straight line from rolling it took to lose traction in the wet with the P Zeros today.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by AnD3rew
I must say I was surprised how little throttle in a straight line from rolling it took to lose traction in the wet with the P Zeros today.
Yes, it doesn't take much. They are definitely dry and warm pavement tires, but, what until you try it on dry pavement at 10º C and below. It gets progressively worse, the colder it gets.

You can still drive it, but you do have to be careful with the throttle and not carve those corners the same way you likely do on warm pavement. On the other hand, you should be fine in Oz with your moderate temps year round.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:22 AM
Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames

My experience is that the P zeros are poor when cold. It doesn't get overly cold at all here in the Bay Area but below 40 the P Zeros are awful, noticeably lacking in grip compared to warmer temperatures.

Another member, SpinningBull, posted on here that grip with his new PSS was better in the colder mornings that his prior OEM Pirellis.
That's right. still holds true. While there aren't many cold mornings here I have noticed significantly less slip on the pss. When the car was cold with the pirellis, I would spin just getting out of the subdivision.

I have noticed that the tpms goes off anytime it's below 40. But resets once the tires warm up.

Only spin I have had with the pss was during a hard acceleration (3/4 throttle) off a stop light.

Yeah... my inner teenager came out when a dude in a m3 thought he could race me. There was no contest.

Last edited by spinningbull; 01-27-2015 at 10:26 AM.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:23 PM

When I was reading about the rain snow and ice mode on the car I thought I would never use that here, but I have to say that over the past couple of days of pretty constant rain here I have been using it and find it very helpful.

Old 01-27-2015, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by spinningbull
That's right. still holds true. While there aren't many cold mornings here I have noticed significantly less slip on the pss. When the car was cold with the pirellis, I would spin just getting out of the subdivision.

I have noticed that the tpms goes off anytime it's below 40. But resets once the tires warm up.

Only spin I have had with the pss was during a hard acceleration (3/4 throttle) off a stop light.

Yeah... my inner teenager came out when a dude in a m3 thought he could race me. There was no contest.
That is odd. I've taken my car out on mornings below 20ºF, and the TPMS has never been on. I check my tire pressures every 2 weeks, and keep them at 36psi per the JLR spec.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:46 PM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

+1, you're living with compromised performance in both seasons. Unlike so many others around here, I'm reasonably satisfied with PZeros. Mine are showing zero signs of wear at 6K, and I think the warm weather handling is superb. You do have to seriously dial back your driving style in cold weather, which any sane person should be doing, and they do OK. However, I absolutely stay away from frozen precipitation with them and don't drive the car when that is likely.
Would be more useful to see the measurements rather than whether there are "signs of wear".

Old 01-27-2015, 08:09 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 931 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by doctordeuce
I have @ 12,300 miles on the car and it is time to change out the rear tires this spring. I will keep the stock Pirellis on the front, but will change out to the Mich PSS for the rears. I have not tracked the car (more less just some spirited road driving). Should I expect changing out the rear tires between every 12 to 15k miles? How long would you think the front tires should be good for?

I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to fit 2 different tires on your car.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DGL
No, it's not a good idea. Two entirely different tread patterns (front vs. back) and compound differences could well lead to control issues.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:20 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
I think you are right. I think I will just treat myself to new rubber all around.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member

No, it's not a good idea. Two entirely different tread patterns (front vs. back) and compound differences could well lead to control issues.
+1

Old 01-27-2015, 09:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by StealthPilot
Would be more useful to see the measurements rather than whether there are "signs of wear".
I guess I can't be more useful in this case. Perhaps you can take some measurements going forward.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it is never a good idea to run two different manufactor's tires on a car. in fact, it can be dangerous. they have different thread patterns. i strongly encourage you not to do this!!!!

Old 01-29-2015, 09:33 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by boyracer
it is never a good idea to run two different manufactor's tires on a car. in fact, it can be dangerous. they have different thread patterns. i strongly encourage you not to do this!!!!
I'm curious, has there ever been any independent study or testing done to verify that this is actually a problem? What actually happens? What is compromised? What are the thresholds before issues occur (speed, driving style, front vs rear etc).

Old 01-29-2015, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by LynxFX
I'm curious, has there ever been any independent study or testing done to verify that this is actually a problem? What actually happens? What is compromised? What are the thresholds before issues occur (speed, driving style, front vs rear etc).
I was wondering that too. I can see it being potentially an issue side to side, but I'm not sure why it should be an issue running different front to rear, in a non AWD car there is no physical connection between front wheels and drive train so can't see how it could cause a problem.

The only thing to watch out for I would have thought is that your limit of traction will be determined by the weakest link but it will be the same general result as if you had the weakest tyre on all four wheels.

No expert here, but just trying to think it through.

Old 01-30-2015, 03:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 251 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by boyracer
I can't imagine any scientific basis for your assertion if we are considering front vs rear. I would agree it would not be a good idea to run different tires on each side, as that biases contact surface area and water channelling to one side or the other, consequently biasing grip and handling.

Different tread patterns front to rear are irrelevant - you already effectively have that on any car that runs different size tires front and back like the F Type, so the surface area of contact tread is immediately going to be different (smaller) at the front.

Of course, I could be wrong. Working for Australia's leading tyre franchise for 17 years may have taught me nothing.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:42 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LynxFX
It really is only an issue for inexperienced drivers. Definitely dicey to have different tires side to side since the handling characteristics will vary between left and right turns. Different tires front and rear, not so, but can present a problem if you get too close to the traction limits of either set. One tire may start to loose traction slowly while the other might lose traction abruptly.

That said, I'm too cheap to replace four tires if only two are worn out. You just learn to adapt your driving style to accommodate the differences in tire construction and compound. Pushing the car to 99.99% at the track, I would opt for the same tire all around.

Quick Reply: How many miles out of the rear stock Pirelli's?