F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How often per week do you get asked about your F Type?
Never
4.76%
Once a week
23.81%
2-3 times a week
23.81%
Every other day
19.05%
Daily
23.81%
More times than a Kardashian goes looking for attention
4.76%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

How often (and when) do you get asked about your F Type by random strangers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 04:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 251 Likes on 140 Posts
Red face How often (and when) do you get asked about your F Type by random strangers?

OK - I've owned my F Type for 3 weeks now, and I'm finding it quite a novel (and vaguely unsettling) experience to have completely random strangers coming up to me and complimenting me on the look of the car and asking about it.

This seems to be happening 4-5 times a week, although last Wednesday, it was 3 separate people at the fuel station in the morning, two blokes at a country pub at our midday stop and two at the end of the day at another fuel station (that was my first long drive day) including a Highway Patrol cop who pulled in to the station, parked right on my front bumper, leaned out the window and said, " Awesome car, mate!"

I've had young hoons lean out their car window next to me and say, "@&$#% fantastic" and other unprintable compliments.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't just a little bit chuffed (pleased) each time, but it's not something I've experienced before quite this frequently (the RS5 drew the occasional compliment).

Is this some strange Melbourne thing, or are you guys having the same experience?

Last edited by OzRisk; 01-19-2015 at 04:44 AM. Reason: typos
Old 01-19-2015, 07:03 AM
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Get used to it.... I had a guy chase me down on a major highway. I thought I had offended him somehow. It turned out he was driving like a loon just to catch me to give me the thumbs up....
It's a nice feeling.
Don

The following users liked this post:
OzRisk (01-19-2015)
Old 01-19-2015, 07:13 AM
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I a few thumbs up every week, but i also get scared by people tailgating me trying to record the exhaust

OzRisk (01-19-2015)
Old 01-19-2015, 09:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Oz,

Yes, the same happens to me all the time, pretty much the same as you described it.

OzRisk (01-19-2015)
Old 01-19-2015, 11:22 AM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

I've posted about this before and started a thread on it. People love this car. And not just the owners!!!

OzRisk (01-19-2015)
Old 01-19-2015, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

Not uncommon. The F-Type is a good looking car and right now it's still relatively rare. A lot of times people have no idea what kind of car it is. I love the way the RS5 looks but it's derived from the A5 so people might just think it's another Audi.

OzRisk (01-19-2015)
Old 01-19-2015, 12:07 PM

I think it will be rare in the future too. I went by the dealer this morning and my sales man told me that although they don't yet have exact numbers, the 2016 will start north on 108k.

I am the only owner in Middle TN as well.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:02 PM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

I get this a lot too. At least three times I have had people at a traffic light wind down their windows to ask me about the car.

OzRisk (01-19-2015)
Old 01-19-2015, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ggraddy
I think it will be rare in the future too. I went by the dealer this morning and my sales man told me that although they don't yet have exact numbers, the 2016 will start north on 108k.

I can't decide whether the scarcity of F Types will work for or against future resale value. You always expect a (big) hit on resale for any brand new car, and the more expensive initially, the bigger the hit. That's never stopped me buying new cars.

Nevertheless, it's a bit of a paradox - the F Type reviews are overwhelmingly positive, yet sales numbers are extremely low from what I can gather (are numbers published anywhere?). Jaguar seem to be on the right track to recover reputation, mind share and ultimately (hopefully) market share. It will be interesting to see what the next couple of years brings for the brand, and whether the F Type will eventually acquire the status of a classic that some reviewers are suggesting will happen.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by OzRisk
I can't decide whether the scarcity of F Types will work for or against future resale value. You always expect a (big) hit on resale for any brand new car, and the more expensive initially, the bigger the hit. That's never stopped me buying new cars.

Nevertheless, it's a bit of a paradox - the F Type reviews are overwhelmingly positive, yet sales numbers are extremely low from what I can gather (are numbers published anywhere?). Jaguar seem to be on the right track to recover reputation, mind share and ultimately (hopefully) market share. It will be interesting to see what the next couple of years brings for the brand, and whether the F Type will eventually acquire the status of a classic that some reviewers are suggesting will happen.

I think you have to be a car guy to buy a F type, especially the R. As you were mentioning, and i completely agree, jaguar has a lot of work to do to wash the reputation they had while the S and X types were on sale.

If it wouldn't have been for the F Type, i doubt i would have owed a Jaguar, although the XJL looks great too.

Having that said, i think a lot of buyers in the 100k range are going down well beaten roads, ex: 911, Corvette, Hellcat, used R8's, Granturimo, etc.

I think the F will do a lot better than the XKR in retaining value and with moderate miles probably looking at a 1.5% depreciation per month. It also depends in a significant mater, how 2016 is going to perform and the sale price. I am sure Jaguar understands marketing and making the F exclusive, is part of their plans since they are most likely not making money on it.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

For the R's yes, but the base will still start at $70K-somthing, and most of the admirers don't know the difference.

Old 01-19-2015, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member

If it wouldn't have been for the F Type, i doubt i would have owed a Jaguar, although the XJL looks great too.
Same sentiment for me...

Old 01-19-2015, 03:21 PM
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Yesterday I went to visit my mom and I had my car parked right in front of her house, I saw at least 5 or 6 kids getting in front of the car and taking pictures with their phones. One went looking for the door knob and he couldn't find any...LOL.

OzRisk (01-19-2015)
Old 01-19-2015, 03:58 PM
Received 102 Likes on 66 Posts

I think you have to be a car guy to buy a F type, especially the R. As you were mentioning, and i completely agree, jaguar has a lot of work to do to wash the reputation they had while the S and X types were on sale.

Having that said, i think a lot of buyers in the 100k range are going down well beaten roads, ex: 911, Corvette, Hellcat, used R8's, Granturimo, etc.

I think the F will do a lot better than the XKR in retaining value and with moderate miles probably looking at a 1.5% depreciation per month. It also depends in a significant mater, how 2016 is going to perform and the sale price. I am sure Jaguar understands marketing and making the F exclusive, is part of their plans since they are most likely not making money on it.
fyi, I have a fully loaded V8 S, all black, black pack etc. I get comments every day on it. It cost me $114k new December 2013 and has 5.5k miles on it and looks perfect. My dealer offered me $77k for it last month when I asked him. So, regarding depreciation, it will be interesting to see how this goes and what the private market will pay.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Several times a week

Firesand Orange V8s and as previously stated many people ask what it is and don't know that it's a jag. Innumerable pictures wherever I park it.

OzRisk (01-19-2015)
Old 01-19-2015, 11:09 PM
Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

I get tons of looks. It was the star of the show at the track. Lots of questions.

I do believe it is more due to the color of mine (salsa red) then the actual car. Most people have no clue what this car is until they see the logo. With that said it does draw a crowd as I imagine any bright red, loud , V8 would.

I don't believe this car is going to have great resale. These cars (especially the R) are VERY niche cars. If you are looking for something pretty, there are plenty of other options out there. If you are looking for something that goes like stink on the track, there are better, more established (and cheaper) options. If you are looking for snob appeal a pre-owned Ferrari will suit you better. Takes a select buyer to pick up an f type.

MC
2015 Jag F-type R coupe
1996 Acura NSX
1995 Mazda Miata #34

Old 01-20-2015, 12:52 AM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Whenever I park my car and get out, if there's someone around me they will almost always make a comment, mostly asking what kind of car it is. On the road I notice drivers looking at it like "wow what IS that?" and thumbs up. For the most part I think women are oblivious on the road, they only seem to have an impression when they hear the name.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:05 AM
Veteran Member

Two 17-18 year old boys called out from across the street, "Love your car, looks beautiful" as I stepped out of it this afternoon at the local shopping strip.

And the love continues...

Old 01-21-2015, 06:00 PM
Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts

People have asked me many things like what kind of car it is, taken countless pics & have seen a few in my rear view taking video. It is a great feeling knowing you have something that looks so nice, sounds so good & not too many have.

OzRisk (01-22-2015)
Old 01-22-2015, 04:55 AM
Received 170 Likes on 105 Posts

I know the Fs are very rare but here in Raleigh, Jaguars are so rare that people love to look at the wife's little red XF. Have not seen any Fs yet in the Wake County area and we are always on the lookout for the pretty cats. An F would probably start a riot!

OzRisk (01-22-2015)

Quick Reply: How often (and when) do you get asked about your F Type by random strangers?