F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOW-TO / REVIEW clear wind deflector for a convertible

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2021, 10:22 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default HOW-TO / REVIEW clear wind deflector for a convertible

Wanted to post my experience with switching from the mesh wind deflector that comes on our convertibles to a clear one. This is purely the install as I know there's a separate DIY on making your own, as well as some discussions on doing this but not a review. I wanted something factory looking and so bought one instead. This also assumes you already have the oem deflector brackets, but I think installing those if you don't is trivial (assuming you can actually order them right now).

I went down the path of switching for two reasons, primarily because the rear glass panel on the convertible top was tinted very dark and so combined with the mesh it was difficult to see out of the back. The other reason is that I found the mesh screen distracting when driving with the top down as it would flutter in the wind.

I purchased a higher end (~$300) glass-like (i think it's plexi) wind deflector. I'm not calling out the company name and I'm not in anyway sponsored here. This particular one is pretty hefty, about 1/2" (12mm) thick piece that drops in the place of the factory one. It does come with the metal frame that allows it to fit.

Some photos prior to install:

It took me a few minutes to figure out how to remove the old one as the instructions weren't clear. The trick is to depress the wind deflector frame down on the end you are releasing, and then push the upper tab on the bracket holding it backwards. When you have both sides released the wind deflector just lifts out. This is a good time to check that the side brackets are fastened snugly. I found that on both sides, each of the screws was very loose. I circled them in the photo. Take a T20 torx bit, pull each screw out, dab a little bit of blue loctite and thread them back in carefuly. I did not torque these to some spec, just keep in mind they are only M4 thread so just snug them up lightly.

Now for the new deflector. This particular one came with a small logo of the manufacturer printed on the back. I wasn't happy with this as the photos on their website did not show this. I contacted them about it and they advised to just flip the metal frame around. Had to loosen all the bolts holding it to the glass and refasten. On the deflector I purchased these used a 3mm hex (H3) bit. Used loctite here as well since all of these will experience a fair amount of vibration from wind.

Alright, now back to drop it in. The install is super easy, just drop the glass in and flip the tabs back over the top while pushing down on the respective side of the restrictor frame.

Installed, but before I removed it to flip the frame and hide the logo:

There is some glare due to the glass at night:

Some final thoughts...the new deflector is a significant improvement for my use. However it may not be for everyone. There is a definite glare that you get, especially at night, from the center console controls and shifter reflecting in the deflector due to the fact that on these cars the deflector is tilted down. But to me this is still well worth the upgrade as the overall visibility out the back with the top up is much improved.

The deflector is very solid. I had the car up to 165mph (on a closed course) and the deflector did not show any signs of movement whatsoever.

I would rate the difficulty of the install at "as easy as it gets" and the improvement (think amazon review) at 3/5 stars primarily due to price, the fact that I had to flip the frame, and the glare.

Hope this is helpful to those considering getting rid of the mesh deflector or just getting one to start with.

Last edited by petik; 12-20-2021 at 10:28 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by petik:
Andy Dorn (12-20-2021), DJS (12-21-2021)
Old 12-20-2021, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

This is my second car with a Windrestrictor and i think they are worth the money.

Old 12-20-2021, 02:57 PM
Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

I've replaced mine with the $100 clear plexiglass model from Amazon the 2nd week I've owned the car several years ago.
Love it...

The following users liked this post:
ferrral (12-20-2021)
Old 12-21-2021, 10:21 AM
Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

I understand your concerns with the Mesh Screen installed.
"Difficulty to see out back"
"Distracting"
Many of us here have tested versions of plexi windscreen....
And you would be willing to sacrifice a nominal safe view for one that introduces a major REAR VIEW CONFUSION/DISTRACTION with dash and interior illumination?
Sounds like you may be trying to convince yourself and justify a "Cool" mod.
I say ...Go for it and have fun.

Old 12-21-2021, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 380 Likes on 266 Posts

When I first got my car it came without the screen.
I vacilated over which way to go and was a bit concerned by the negative comments about rear vision with the mesh.
I went with mesh partly becuse it was the only way to get the screen holders which did not come with the car.
I figured I needed the fitttings no matter what and JLR does not sell them separately.
Worst case I could always swap out the mesh for solid later.
Now I barely notice the screen. It definitely helps reduce turbulence in the car, and is not a distraction.
Given the limited rear visibility in the vert, I rely totally on the side windows, rear camera and side collision warnings for reversing.
Worst visibility situateon is trying to make an oblique entrance at a junction- just can not get my nexk around a full 180 to see what is coming and the roof ine gets in the way!!
In terms of driving with the mesh screen, I can see traffic behind the car perfectly well both in day and night conditions,

Sparky H (12-21-2021)
Old 12-21-2021, 12:09 PM
Received 98 Likes on 55 Posts

Same here. I don't realize it's there.
Also agree with Sparky about the reflections on the Plexiglass deflector. I get red dots on the rear glass of my Super Crew cab when I turn on my heated seats, and it takes a few seconds for me to remember what is going on.

Sparky H (12-21-2021)
Old 12-21-2021, 07:35 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CJSJAG
When I first got my car it came without the screen.
I vacilated over which way to go and was a bit concerned by the negative comments about rear vision with the mesh.
I went with mesh partly becuse it was the only way to get the screen holders which did not come with the car.
I figured I needed the fitttings no matter what and JLR does not sell them separately.
Worst case I could always swap out the mesh for solid later.
Now I barely notice the screen. It definitely helps reduce turbulence in the car, and is not a distraction.
Given the limited rear visibility in the vert, I rely totally on the side windows, rear camera and side collision warnings for reversing.
Worst visibility situateon is trying to make an oblique entrance at a junction- just can not get my nexk around a full 180 to see what is coming and the roof ine gets in the way!!
In terms of driving with the mesh screen, I can see traffic behind the car perfectly well both in day and night conditions,
Curious, do you have much tint on the rear glass? Mine came tinted significantly more than the sides (I assumed from the factory, but perhaps I'm wrong) and with the the top I mostly just see headlight glare of the cars behind me and not much else. With the glass there's reflection, but I can see a objects a lot clearer.

Old 12-21-2021, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 380 Likes on 266 Posts

do ot tink it is tinted