F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Strict is the Lease Return Process?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 03:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Strict is the Lease Return Process?

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum. My current F type is a lease and was wondering how strict is the lease return process.

I would like to powder coat the wheels from silver to a light gray. It will look no different than when the car has brake dust but cleaner in my opinion.

*Note, I also have some minor curb rashes so this was something I'm considering vs paying the dealership at lease end.

First time with a Jag and would love your input. Thank you guys!

Old 04-11-2018, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBase
Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum. My current F type is a lease and was wondering how strict is the lease return process.

I would like to powder coat the wheels from silver to a light gray. It will look no different than when the car has brake dust but cleaner in my opinion.

*Note, I also have some minor curb rashes so this was something I'm considering vs paying the dealership at lease end.

I honestly don't know how they would react to that. My guess is that no one in charge of receiving the car and documenting its condition would have any idea that you changed the wheel color.

Old 04-11-2018, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Nati
I honestly don't know how they would react to that. My guess is that no one in charge of receiving the car and documenting its condition would have any idea that you changed the wheel color.
That's what I assume too. BMW IMO a little more strict. Mercedes and Audi are pretty lax. The car is leased through U.S. Bank and I heard they are somewhat strict so I thought I ask.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21,479 Likes on 8,644 Posts

If it's "that dealer" in Pasadena, must be in showroom condition on a lease return. Check around for more lenient dealers when need be.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:34 PM
DFW
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I just returned my Jag after a 30 month lease. My lease had a $1,000 credit towards any damages. The gentleman representing the lease came to my office and spent 30 minutes taking pictures and inspecting the vehicle. It was a VERY thorough review. He told me a couple of things:

1. Don't make ANY changes to the vehicle. It's thoroughly documented at purchase and any changes - window tint, wheel upgrade, etc., is counted against you when your return the car.
2. Don't make any minor repairs to the vehicle - wheel rash, etc., until after the inspection. The repair charges are many times lower than market rate.

At the conclusion of the inspection he showed me what I would owe. $25.00 for a paint rub mark he found on the rear of the car. With the $1k credit, I had no out of pocket expense.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

That's what I assume too. BMW IMO a little more strict. Mercedes and Audi are pretty lax. The car is leased through U.S. Bank and I heard they are somewhat strict so I thought I ask.
JP Morgan Chase is Jaguar's leasing company (Jaguar Financial) so if you are using US Bank for some reason your turn in may be different from others responding here. Did you lease it from a non-Jag dealer?

Last edited by ndabunka; 04-11-2018 at 10:38 PM.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by DFW
I just returned my Jag after a 30 month lease. My lease had a $1,000 credit towards any damages. The gentleman representing the lease came to my office and spent 30 minutes taking pictures and inspecting the vehicle. It was a VERY thorough review. He told me a couple of things:

1. Don't make ANY changes to the vehicle. It's thoroughly documented at purchase and any changes - window tint, wheel upgrade, etc., is counted against you when your return the car.
2. Don't make any minor repairs to the vehicle - wheel rash, etc., until after the inspection. The repair charges are many times lower than market rate.

At the conclusion of the inspection he showed me what I would owe. $25.00 for a paint rub mark he found on the rear of the car. With the $1k credit, I had no out of pocket expense.
This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much!

Old 04-12-2018, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by ndabunka
JP Morgan Chase is Jaguar's leasing company (Jaguar Financial) so if you are using US Bank for some reason your turn in may be different from others responding here. Did you lease it from a non-Jag dealer?
Nope. Leased from Jaguar/Land Rover of Newport Beach. Did they recently switch to JP Morgan Chase? I got the lease in 2017.

Old 04-12-2018, 06:33 PM
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Trust me you will be charged for every variance from the condition the car was in when it was delivered to you. If you put diamonds in the shifter you will be charged for taking them out.

Old 04-12-2018, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Suaro
Trust me you will be charged for every variance from the condition the car was in when it was delivered to you. If you put diamonds in the shifter you will be charged for taking them out.
Are you basing this on prior experience with US Bank?

I turned in one jag for another and I'm pretty sure I could've had a dead deer in the passenger seat. One wheel was rashed, I had a couple dings, one with scratched paint, and a chipped windshield.

I was assessed $0.

Old 04-12-2018, 07:06 PM
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

No, good question.

My observation is based on being involved in the purchase of several automobile lease portfolios and reviewing more files than I care to remember.

Some lessors are better (vis-a-vis the consumer) than others. US Bank historically had a pretty decent reputation.

But generally speaking lessors extract their pound of flesh. This is found money and nicely hypes the yield.

Old 04-12-2018, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

Nope. Leased from Jaguar/Land Rover of Newport Beach. Did they recently switch to JP Morgan Chase? I got the lease in 2017.
Mine was also in 2017 in October. Perhaps they use more than one financier depending on dealership?

When I picked mine up, the chrome trim around the windows was dis-colored and damaged. Naturally the dealership agreed to replace it at their costs so I had to ask if they could put replace it with black. They said their would be no charge to change up-front but it would be a HUGE problem at lease turn in as the invoice and lease contract shows the chrome so it could be a $5K charge at lease turn in (for the labor to remove + the parts to restore it to the chrome).

I had been considering buying the lease out at the end and if I had 100% confidence in that plan then I may have had the change made but since we can't see 39 months into the future, I decided to just let them replace it with the original chrome.

I also asked about the Gyrodyne wheels as I preferred the ones with the darker color. They said it was basically impossible as even though they could give me credit for the silver and let me pay the difference, the ORIGINAL window sticker shows the silver so at turn in... I'd have to pay to have them switched back or pay a fee. Again, both non-starters.

Last edited by ndabunka; 04-12-2018 at 07:17 PM.