F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How To: VelocityAP Supercharger Crank Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2020, 02:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
Hi. There are two different belt lengths we supply, and two different crank pulley offsets. Either could be wrong. I would recommend contacting us with your order number and we can confirm.

When the orders are placed on our website it requests your OEM crank pulley colour and your VIN so we can size the belt correctly.
Thank you for the reply Stuart. I will send you a direct email with the order number and a pic of the OEM pulley (I ordered black).

Old 07-13-2020, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,000 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuning@VelocityAP
Definitely check the belt routing, lots of pics online of the front engine view:
http://i0.wp.com/thegermantooltruck....5/10/aj133.jpg
I found that the belt I got allowed for two different routes, so double-checked to see that I got it right.

Old 07-13-2020, 06:26 PM

Routing was wrong. Verified and fixed. Huge thanks to all that replied....you guys rock!

The following users liked this post:
JacksonvilleJag (07-14-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 01:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuning@VelocityAP
Definitely check the belt routing, lots of pics online of the front engine view:

Btw, there's 2 crank pulley versions Silver vs Black. If you have a Silver pulley stock, you need to install a Silver pulley. The color is not a choice of preference, it's to correctly align the different belt offset.

We do have 2 different belt sizes, 1438mm and 1461mm, if you had trouble fitting the 1461mm, odds are you have a belt that fits snugg/tight (no chance of slipping). My guess would be belt not routed correctly OR wrong pulley offset installed.

Good info. Thanks for sharing!

Old 08-03-2020, 02:12 PM
Received 112 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuning@VelocityAP View Post

Btw, there's 2 crank pulley versions Silver vs Black. If you have a Silver pulley stock, you need to install a Silver pulley. The color is not a choice of preference, it's to correctly align the different belt offset.

We do have 2 different belt sizes, 1438mm and 1461mm, if you had trouble fitting the 1461mm, odds are you have a belt that fits snugg/tight (no chance of slipping). My guess would be belt not routed correctly OR wrong pulley offset installed.
on the bright side, its only $1000 bucks to learn the hard way.

Old 12-23-2020, 10:00 AM
Received 178 Likes on 114 Posts

Is it easier if you do mina intake and crank pulley together? how much needs to be taken down if you want to access the crank pulley area directly?

When I told my shop I wanted to install the crank pulley, they said they'd need to heat it to fit, I think they are thinking about the supercharger pulley instead.

is there anything else you can change while doing crank pulley and mina intake? im thinking upgrading coolant pipes so it doesn't burst out of nowhere!

I will print out this guide for them to reference, should make it easier even though they said they know what to do! Thank you for the great and detailed write up!!!

Old 12-23-2020, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member

Crank pulley is bolt-on. The shop is indeed thinking of the supercharger pulley. I did mine on ramps in the driveway, wishing I had a lift through the whole process, but it wasn't difficult. I did not remove any intake parts in the process.

Old 12-23-2020, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 380 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray Ray
Is it easier if you do mina intake and crank pulley together? how much needs to be taken down if you want to access the crank pulley area directly?

When I told my shop I wanted to install the crank pulley, they said they'd need to heat it to fit, I think they are thinking about the supercharger pulley instead.

is there anything else you can change while doing crank pulley and mina intake? im thinking upgrading coolant pipes so it doesn't burst out of nowhere!

I will print out this guide for them to reference, should make it easier even though they said they know what to do! Thank you for the great and detailed write up!!!
Just read the first post of this thread. Excellent and complete how-to instructions there.

Last edited by RGPV6S; 12-23-2020 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-23-2020, 10:08 PM
Received 178 Likes on 114 Posts

Okay we shall see, I will be with my shop during the install, I will probably do a summary and share.

Old 12-24-2020, 03:03 AM
Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

Just got the new pulley and belt on, will finish up tomorrow as it's pretty late. Also, VAP got me my tune in around 24 hours

Some notes that may or may not help someone in the future:
  • The back of the radiator shroud is out for blood, definitely wear gloves when reaching up from below!
  • Lighting! Get one of those $3 harbor freight LED lights, it will magnetically stick on the back of the radiator fan. Super convenient location as it shines light directly on the crank pulley.
  • Be careful where you stick your ratchet working with the tensioner, after I got the belt off my ratchet was jammed on the subframe and I couldn't get it or the OEM belt out. Had to put the belt back on, adjust and redo.
  • I used a breaker bar to break the blue loc-tite on the crank pulley bolts but was able to use a standard 3/8 ratchet after that
  • My pulley did not slide off, I had to pry it off by sticking a flathead in between the pulley and the serpentine belt pulley behind it.
  • Harbor Freight tap and die kits are crap. Wasted a day here.
  • Putting on the new belt was easier than I was expecting (OEM silver pulley on a V6S).

All in all, thanks for the great DIY.

Old 12-30-2020, 07:59 AM
Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by takeapieandrun
Just got the new pulley and belt on, will finish up tomorrow as it's pretty late.
Well - can you give us an update? All to your satisfaction?

Old 12-31-2020, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by inmanlanier
Well - can you give us an update? All to your satisfaction?
Yes definitely! I haven't given the car a chance to really stretch its legs on a proper drive but I went for a 5-10 mile drive on a somewhat curvy 2-laner and you can tell the car is significantly more powerful.

The torque increase starting as low as 2K RPM makes the car so much more pleasurable to drive. It really feels like I can be in any gear (MT) and hit the throttle and just go. The car also pulls much harder at high RPMs.

Previously, the car was quick but not really fast. Now, it really feels fast, like the M4 (425hp, 3500lb) I test drove before buying the F-Type. Honestly, I would say this is the best bang for buck mod you can do on the V6. It makes the car perform like it looks.

OzXFR (12-31-2020)
Old 12-31-2020, 01:09 PM

VAP does a great job. Glad to hear you are another satisfied customer.

Sparky H (12-31-2020)
Old 12-31-2020, 06:07 PM

I'm also running on a 91 tune, I'm probably giving up around 10hp if it aligns with other 91 vs 93 tests I've seen online. I actually reached out about a 93 tune.. wouldn't mind running an octane booster through each tank as I don't put commute miles on this car anyways.

Old 12-31-2020, 09:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by takeapieandrun
I'm also running on a 91 tune, I'm probably giving up around 10hp if it aligns with other 91 vs 93 tests I've seen online. I actually reached out about a 93 tune.. wouldn't mind running an octane booster through each tank as I don't put commute miles on this car anyways.
I had VAP provide a 91 tune and a 96, in case I go to a track day at Sonoma. They've got 96 at the pump there. It's too far to track down 93 for everyday use and before COVID I put too many miles commuting to bother with octane booster. Perhaps I should reconsider, but my miles of late are almost exclusively trips to the store for provisions :-(

Old 01-12-2021, 01:16 AM

I contacted VAP about this, they said that many of their clients in CA run an ethanol mixture with their 91 to boost the octane. Chris also said that they would be experimenting with ethanol mixtures themselves in the late summer.

I was unable to figure out whether 91 and 93 were separate tunes, or the car just pulls timing.

Old 01-12-2021, 07:18 AM

I have the V8 - and there is only 1 tune. I think perhaps in the day there were more than one (as I recall) - when I asked with my current tune (circa Sep 2019) they only had the one. I'm guessing take input from the knock sensor.

Old 02-23-2021, 02:22 AM
Default Pulley

Hi

The pulley and tensioner and belt is very expensive at either $1000.00 or 1000.00 pounds. I can get the lower pulley made for under $100.00 and match a belt. Do I need some form of modifies tensioner pulley? WHat size should I go on the lower pulley? I see there is 11.8% and 15%

Old 02-23-2021, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by chris_williamson
Hi

The pulley and tensioner and belt is very expensive at either $1000.00 or 1000.00 pounds. I can get the lower pulley made for under $100.00 and match a belt. Do I need some form of modifies tensioner pulley? WHat size should I go on the lower pulley? I see there is 11.8% and 15%
I think I understand now.
There are two options
Increase lower pulley by 15%
Increase lower pulley by 11.8% and decrease upper pulley by 6%
Is this correct?

Old 02-23-2021, 09:52 PM

Yes, as I understand you have it correct - I do not know the percentages, however. I was under the impression there was only one lower pulley offered, and one upper pulley offered. The combination of both gives more flow, but I'm led to believe is very much challenging the heat exchangers.

I'm assuming you know you can't run the higher boost without some ECU map/programming changes.

Quick Reply: How To: VelocityAP Supercharger Crank Pulley