F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How well does F-Type handle on ice/snow?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 01:42 PM
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

malbec, well said, there are stickys and then there are stickys. But if folks search for threads on topics they are interested in rather than simply starting new threads, it seems to me there is more efficiency and a better diffusion of knowledge. The price is some old threads hang around, but so what. In this case, I was not around in 2015, but there was an element in the thread that was of interest to me. Agreed some threads go irretrievably stale and should go away, but I don't know how that might be done. Increased moderation? Expiration dates? Some sort of warning label?

But I still would like to know how someone can do a 15,000 mile road trip. I know folks who do Alaska to Arizona which is 3,600 miles and can't for the life of me figure out how some one gets to 15,000 miles. That's more than half way around the world.

Old 01-01-2019, 02:55 PM
Banned
Received 425 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Suaro
malbec, well said, there are stickys and then there are stickys. But if folks search for threads on topics they are interested in rather than simply starting new threads, it seems to me there is more efficiency and a better diffusion of knowledge. The price is some old threads hang around, but so what. In this case, I was not around in 2015, but there was an element in the thread that was of interest to me. Agreed some threads go irretrievably stale and should go away, but I don't know how that might be done. Increased moderation? Expiration dates? Some sort of warning label?

But I still would like to know how someone can do a 15,000 mile road trip. I know folks who do Alaska to Arizona which is 3,600 miles and can't for the life of me figure out how some one gets to 15,000 miles. That's more than half way around the world.
I did a 10,000+ miler a few years ago that was little more than a southern route to the west coast, starting in Washington, DC and returning via a central route There were a lot of side trips involved, of course, but the entire trip only took four weeks. As I remember, the longest single day's drive was San Antonio to El Paso TX, stopping only for necessities--a long, boring stretch of highway.
I'm considering doing another cross-country, but I need to get the front end wrapped before I do that.

Old 01-01-2019, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Forrest Keith
(Correct me if my tire-size math is wrong: 245-45-19s are 0.7” taller than OEM. That’s an increase of the tire diameter by 2.59%. When the speedometer reads 65, the actual speed will be 67 mph.)
0.615" by my calculation vs 0.7", but that's well within the normal tire mold variation.

Old 01-02-2019, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 579 Likes on 397 Posts

Regards tire circumference:

If you get Math Anxiety just from telephone numbers like I do, simply plug your OEM tire sizes and proposals into a Tire Size Calculator.

I've always used this one, there are others too.

Tire size calculator

Old 07-27-2020, 10:30 AM
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

My 2015 F type S drives fine with all season tires in and around Boston. The rain/snow button does not, however, overcome stupid.

Old 07-27-2020, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jberry20
My 2015 F type S drives fine with all season tires in and around Boston. The rain/snow button does not, however, overcome stupid.
Not much does.

Old 07-27-2020, 02:45 PM
Received 297 Likes on 165 Posts
Old 07-29-2020, 01:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
stack the tires 2 high in your living room, cover them with a sheet of plywood, drape a table cloth over it. Voila!. A $5000 coffee table.
I actually did this with my Z3M many years ago when I was in an apartment. Stacked each rear wheel/tire on top of each front wheel/tire. Pushed them side-by-side and topped it with clear plate glass.

Used it as a coffee table, and it actually looked pretty great! I probably have photos of it somewhere on Myspace. lol

Old 07-29-2020, 09:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Joel Hendrickson
I actually did this with my Z3M many years ago when I was in an apartment. Stacked each rear wheel/tire on top of each front wheel/tire. Pushed them side-by-side and topped it with clear plate glass.

Used it as a coffee table, and it actually looked pretty great! I probably have photos of it somewhere on Myspace. lol
Same furniture I had in graduate school: the Goodyear coffee table. A couple of used up racing tires, a drafting board and a small table cloth. My desk was made from a couple of plastic bookshelves and a used door. The sofa was something I salvaged off the sidewalk with 1 leg missing. I just knocked off the other 3 legs. I could go on.

Old 09-09-2020, 02:32 PM
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Jberry20, what all season tires do you have?
Thanks

Old 09-12-2020, 09:59 AM
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3+ -- about $1100 from tire rack + local install.

Old 09-12-2020, 10:03 AM
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Jberry20, Thanks, that is just what I was thinking of getting.

Old 10-31-2021, 08:18 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I posted this to the wrong (XJ) thread before and think it would be more useful here. I wanted to share my experiences that might help a fellow F-type owner prepare for winter. My MY2017 British Design Edition (BDE) V6S came with Sottozeros which had about 7/32 on them when I got the car last summer. I drove on them in winter in Denver and found the traction to be OK in packed snow, not fantastic in slush and scary on ice. The BDE comes with 20" wheels which are 9" front and 10.5" rear which may have contributed to the subpar winter performance. In preparing for this coming winter I followed the advice of Keith Forrest's posts in this thread and down-sized to 8.5" wheels front and back in the hopes they will cut thru the snow and slush better. I wanted to downsize to 19" diameter to keep the rims away from the white stuff more and have a taller sidewall for a smoother ride. Like others have found, not all 19" wheels will fit over the 380mm front brake calipers. Pictured is my trial fit of a Niche Misano 19x8.5 ET 40 on the front which hit the caliper. BTW, I found good deals online but all of these retailers were clueless about fitment on an F-type. They just look up some standard info and tell you it won't fit and/or they will not allow you return on their dime if they tell you it does and you find out it doesn't. So eventually I gave up online and used my local discount tire who would order one wheel for me to take home to test fit at a time (not sure I trust them enough to jack up the car without damaging the plastic side skirts).

After the failed Niche Misano test fit I decided to just stick with 20" rims. I settled on the look of the TSW Nurburgring 8.5x20 ET 40 which are rotary forged so a little more expensive than their cast alloy wheels but the unsprung weight saving is immense compared to the factory wheels (23lb vs. factory 35-37lb). They tested fitted fine but as Keith mentioned the rears would be inboard by about 1.5" compared to OEM. "Fugly" as he put it. I tend to agree so ordered 35mm black anodized wheel adapters from Motorsport Tech. They took 6 weeks to make due to material shortages due to the Covid-19 pandemic but they are awesome quality and worth the $170. I am not sure if these will have any impact on wheel bearing longevity. Would be interested to hear from Keith and others' experiences. According to Unhinged he does not think his 17mm spacers would increase bearing wear. Not sure about 35mm though.

Tires...in Denver we can get a lot of snow which can become slush when it melts and ice when it refreezes overnight. But like many non-hardcore winter states in the US I would guess there may be 5-10 days each winter when snow tires are really necessary. So that leaves most of the Nov-April months not requiring a serious winter tire which will be noisy, handle subpar and wear quickly on dry pavement. Of course there is an advantage of a winter compound on cold (<45F degree) dry roads compared with rock-hard summer performance tires so I decided to go with a compromise. I used to run dedicated snow tires on our Honda Pilot and Ford Escape but for the past few years have switched to an "all weather" tire stamped with the three mountain peak snowflake (3MPSF) certification. In the case of the SUVs I went with the Toyo Celcius which I found to have comparable performance during Denver winters versus Bridgestone Blizzaks and Michelin X-Ice2's. Last year I also fitted Michelin CrossClimate+ tires to my RX8 which I found to have pretty decent snow and slush performance despite being RWD. Anyway, the choices for 3MPSF tires for the F-Type include:

- Michelin CrossClimate
- Goodyear Assurance Weather Ready
- Vredestein Quatrac5
- Nokian WRG4
- Toyo Celcius

Each of these brands have an offering in the 20" wheel size. I went with the Michelin CrossClimate2 (updated version of the CrossClimate+ which is still available) in 245/40R20 which gives an overall diameter of 2.6% larger than the stock wheel set up. This would result in a slight but acceptable speedometer error (approx 2mph faster actual speed than indicated when going 70-90mph). Haven't had any snow to test them on yet but they look great with the new stance (both front and rears pushed out about 1/2" from stock) and handle fine in the dry although I admit I haven't pushed them hard around corners yet. Not sure if the wider track will improve cornering while the smaller width from stock will detract from cornering and how that all balances out.

Will report back after I've had some more time to test them over the upcoming winter. Now if only I can get the TPMS to recognize the new sensors.....(I know, long story, different thread)

Test fitting the Niche Misano

19" Niche Misanos hit the front calipers

35mm Wheel adapter on the rear

Michelin CrossClimate2 with new wider stance despite "skinnier" tires from OEM

Whaddya think?

The following users liked this post:
DJS (10-31-2021)
Old 10-31-2021, 06:39 PM
Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

I guess the answer is, as long as the deep snow doesn’t trap you. This shot taken in Boulder CO, was taken in the winter, a Ferrari with a ski rack on it! Hell, the AWD F type ought to work out fine!

Bingo