F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I bought Seahawks runningback Marshawn Lynch's F-type!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 01:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalJagS
This makes no sense to me. The checks would be no good after a set period and he would still have to pay income tax on them. I call BS on this story. Cash them and put the money in savings would have been the smart thing to do.
Not everyone has financial prowess. I know for a fact they refused to use any type of financial advisors and it was also well known that Cal provided athletes with voluntary classes on how to deal with new big money and he refused to attend them because he trusts no-one. Look how leary he was with the press during the Super Bowl. It kinda makes sense.

Actually, I have heard of many athletes not cashing checks, not for any tax scheme but because the checks are so large that just one check can last a person a years worth of spending while team checks keep coming in weekly. If you make $10m a year, your weekly paycheck is almost $200K. Now whether they can cash an older check or they get the teams accountants to re-issue the check is far beyond my insider knowledge but not everyone trusts banks that aren't from lilly-suburbs, believe it.

Until recently, I bet you wouldn't have believed that not everyone trusts police officers either but now you know the truth as of late.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 07-25-2016 at 01:52 AM.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:20 AM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

BEAST10 if you feel like a callback to his Cal days.
JAGMODE as ode to beast mode

Old 07-25-2016, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

This makes no sense to me. The checks would be no good after a set period and he would still have to pay income tax on them. I call BS on this story. Cash them and put the money in savings would have been the smart thing to do. But a stack of un cashed checks? WTF?
When my sister first graduated from college, un-cashed checks were her savings plan until my Dad yelled at her. lol

The following users liked this post:
slojotaa (07-30-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 08:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think something along the "I'm here so I won't get fined" line. maybe 0FI94ME

Old 07-25-2016, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

This makes no sense to me. The checks would be no good after a set period and he would still have to pay income tax on them. I call BS on this story. Cash them and put the money in savings would have been the smart thing to do. But a stack of un cashed checks? WTF?
If that story is true he would be penniless. His portfolio would literally be the value of the paper his checks are printed on. Clearly that isn't the case. He is widely regarded to have spent very little of his career earnings however. Kudos to him.

Old 07-25-2016, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Nati
If that story is true he would be penniless. His portfolio would literally be the value of the paper his checks are printed on. Clearly that isn't the case. He is widely regarded to have spent very little of his career earnings however. Kudos to him.
You guys don't seem to get it. The concepts of "portfolios", "net worths", "diversifying", and for that matter "savings", aren't concepts that he chose to adopt. There's a term used that guys are comfortable with called "stacking".

It's really not hard to conceptualize really. You come from humble surroundings, go to Cal as a struggling student to making millions. One can either embrace the whole new world of finance like 90% of athletes do and follow the advise of financial people who may or may not have their interest at heart, or you keep doing what you've always known on a smaller scale....put these paychecks into a safe and break them out as needed. Especially if you've entrusted your mother to "handle" this new money. Anyways, I wasn't there and can't swear to this testimony but I would assume that some version of this story is true because in my circles (best friend is a top agent), it is common folklore that Marshawn Lynch has big trust issues, especially about his money. People do what works for them.

I've got some great LeBron stories too! (Aaron was his first agent).

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 07-25-2016 at 11:46 AM.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:10 PM
Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

Checks are generally good for 6 months. You can request a new check and I am sure the NFL would issue him one, but to have a stack of un cashed worth millions of dollars is just silly. Like Nati said, they would only be worth the paper they are printed on. Its a nice story, but it just doesn't wash. More that likely his mother cashed the checks and kept his money secure and gave him an allowance (which had to come from somewhere). Its a nice story and he is lucky to have such a wonderful mother.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:20 AM
Received 852 Likes on 479 Posts

Welcome, if you ever make it up to BC's wine country come visit us!

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 07-26-2016, 04:45 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

polarisnavyxj

WOW! Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate it. I know years down the road it may not mean as much but it means a lot to me to possibly put together a shadow box with a picture of my father and I, a picture of the car and something signed by him as a former owner of the car. Give me a couple days to come up with something.

Old 07-29-2016, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member
Default Heres the billboard for ML's grand opening

Just went up today.

Let me know if you want anything out of the store and if he's there, I'll have him sign it.

Attached Thumbnails I bought Seahawks runningback Marshawn Lynch's F-type!-img_7327-2.jpg  
Old 07-29-2016, 05:27 PM

I would really like to send you the window sticker from the car for him to sign, would that be possible?

Old 07-30-2016, 02:05 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Roadan
I would really like to send you the window sticker from the car for him to sign, would that be possible?
Guys don't walk around with window stickers. Seems contrived.

Old 07-30-2016, 05:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Smoke Em
Congrats on the car and definitely a story to tell everyone.. Welcome to the dysfunctional family... = )
That is truly us...."dysfunctional" and proud of it :-)!

Old 07-30-2016, 06:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadan
So here is my story.... My Father passed away just over a year ago. We were very close and watched every Seattle Seahawks game together. I had been casually looking at the F-type for some time and when I found one locally I was interested, but when I found out it was Marshawn Lynchs I had to have it! I hope my father looks down in appreciation instead of "You spent how much??" haha

Check out the Fred Jackson drag racing accident on YouTube. You will see Marshawn pull away from the accident in MY 2016 F-type R!
Roadan....putting cars to the side for a minute, I am sorry to hear of your dad's passing. My father was my best friend and I was blessed to be his son, and buddy for a lifetime. Losing him was awful, and one never gets over it....just adjusts to the fact that every where I go now, I never leave home without him. Don't forget that, as it is God's little gift to good people, which I am sure you are based upon your gesture and reasoning for buying this car.

As for your purchase, this car is awesome, and I am happy with mine without question. When I bought It, I thought of my dad yelling at me asking "why do you throw your money away". People of the Great Depression, and WW11 era had a different (yet good) way of thinking, and the shock of the two major events forced a different way of behaving which is very understandable. Hell, I worry about the economic recession that will follow soon....but don't agonize over it, just pay attention to it in the eyes of my Dad!

As for the posts above, yes athletes do let checks accumulate in a way that is unthinkable....and I know several who have done this including a top athlete who doesn't know better unfortunately and is "mis-guided" in this realm of financial fiscal management!

Good luck with the car, and happy thoughts about your dad always.....they were the best friends a man could ever have, and I will forever be happy to call mine..."Dad"!

Mbourne (07-30-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 12:14 PM

That's the best analogy of how I feel I have heard to date, thank you very much for your acknowledgement and understanding slojotaa!

I have always been thankful and thoughtful of others but loosing my father has made it even more important. As I mentioned I had been admiring the F-Type for some time and as my father and I watched the Hawks religiously it felt like the right thing to do. YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE and YOU CANT TAKE IT WITH YOU so I do this now, three years from retirement and while I am young enough (52) to enjoy it.

I was really hoping when polarisnavyxj said he would possibly be able to help me it could give a bit of closure to the purchase of the car by requesting a signature of a window sticker as I know my Father would be surprised and put a smile on his face. I guess I am a kid at heart and that will never change.... Still have hope polarisnavyxj will understand what it means. A signature request is admiration for an athelete, a signature that ties something to someone who has passed away means much more... I bet if it was explained and why Marshawn would gladly help. He know what FAMILY means.

Last edited by Roadan; 07-30-2016 at 12:17 PM.
slojotaa (07-30-2016)
Old 07-31-2016, 08:45 PM

Wow... a number of posts have deleted after 7-24-2016. Guess The moderator Gods were not happy.