Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I did it...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 02:44 AM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Default I did it...

Hey folks,

I wasn't able to find a V6S that met my requirements, so I ended up trading up to its big brother!

I now have the following now sitting in my driveway:
2016 Jaguar F-Type V8 R AWD Convertible
Polaris White w/Black Top
Duotone Red Seats w/Red Seat Belts
Vision Pack
20" Blade Wheels
It was a bit too dark to take any pictures when I got the car home, so I'll try to upload something tomorrow.

The only thing I'm not keen on so far is that this car was ordered without the black pack or CF pack. It just looks a bit odd with the white louvers, white side mirrors, white side skirts, and chrome side vents with the CF wheels and top in black. The price for the CF options to remedy that seems a bit outrageous, and not all the parts are available in CF anyway. Going to have to see if I can find someone local to do CF wrap or have them hydro-carbon fiber dipped. I think some Xpel and light tinting may also be in order. Any local SF area recommendations welcomed.

I only have 50 miles on it so far, but I intend to remedy that soon!

I haven't had a chance to review the manual yet. Are there any break-in rules I should be following? The dealer didn't have anything specifically to say on that, but I intend to take it easy and try to avoid going over 4K RPM or so for the first 500 miles. Probably aim to do an oil change after 3 months as well, though I guess the first scheduled one is at one year. Unless this car has the oil life monitoring stuff like BMW does and tells you when you need an oil change... which I don't think it does.

Man, I can see that this car is going to be a thirsty beast... already down 1/8th of a tank like 40 miles. Granted a lot of it was stop and go traffic since one of the local bridges was down.

For those in the SF area, I picked it up from Cole European. Worked with Eric McKay there. He did right by me, despite a few minor setbacks along the way. Got me a better deal than the other local dealers would, especially on a 2016 model they've had on the floor less than a week.

Now that I'm officially a Jag owner, I signed up for the JCNA NA and SF chapters as well. Hopefully I'll get the chance to meet some of you at one of the upcoming meetups.

Last edited by Merlin; 05-25-2015 at 02:48 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Merlin:
jleuz1 (05-25-2015), Schwabe (05-26-2015), Tar1018 (05-25-2015)
Old 05-25-2015, 05:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Merlin
I haven't had a chance to review the manual yet. Are there any break-in rules I should be following?
From the manual:
"BREAKING-IN
This vehicle is built using high-precision manufacturing methods, but the moving parts of the engine must still bed in relative to one
another. The process occurs mainly in the first 2 000 miles (3 000 km) of operation. During this Breaking-in period of 2 000 miles (3 000 km) you should:
• Avoid frequent cold starts followed by short-distance driving.
• Preferably take longer trips.
• Do not use full throttle during starts and normal driving.
• Avoid continuous operation at high engine speed and abrupt stops.
• Do not participate in track days, sports driving schools, or similar.
In addition specifically up to 1 200 miles (2 000 km):
• Drive at varying engine and road speeds, but do not exceed an engine speed of 4500 rpm (revolutions per minute) and a road
speed of 105 mph (170 km/h).

From 1 200 miles (2 000 km) to 2 000 miles (3 000 km):
• Engine and road speeds can be increased gradually.
• Engine speeds in excess of 5 000 rpm should only be used briefly, e.g., when passing.

At all times, not just during the Breaking-in period:
• Do not exceed 4 000 rpm until the engine has reached full operating temperature.
• Avoid laboring the engine by operating the engine in too high a gear at low speeds."

Special Break-In procedures for the Active Differential (LSD) Control:

"During the first 1 000 miles (1 600 km):
• Avoid full throttle applications and do not exceed 120 mph (190 km/h). Observe the
national speed limits in the country in which you are traveling.
• Avoid prolonged periods in excess of 100 mph (160 km/h).

During the first 5 000 miles (8 000 km):
• Do not exceed 155 mph (250 km/h).
• Do not participate in motor racing events, track days, sports driving schools, or similar."

A big congratulations on your acquisition.

Last edited by Unhingd; 05-25-2015 at 06:16 AM.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

For those in the SF area, I picked it up from Cole European. Worked with Eric McKay there. He did right by me, despite a few minor setbacks along the way. Got me a better deal than the other local dealers would, especially on a 2016 model they've had on the floor less than a week.
I've been dealing with Erik since placing my deposit. Glad to hear you were able to work out a deal on the R.

Old 05-25-2015, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

Congrats and look forward to seeing you and your car at an upcoming BA event...

Old 05-25-2015, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

Congrats. There are two school of thoughts on break-in periods. One says follow manual, other says take it easy for a couple of hundred miles, then drive like you stole it. I'm the latter. Let the car warm up properly, then drive it like you would. These are modern cars that really shouldn't need 5000 miles before fully enjoying. If I followed the manual the first 5 months of owning the car would have been very boring. For some people if they follow the manual they would never be able to fully enjoy the car!

Old 05-25-2015, 12:49 PM
Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Congratulations on the beautiful new car. Hope to see you on a Bay Area drive soon.

Old 05-25-2015, 02:01 PM

Thanks all!

Apparently the car is new enough that when I tried to add it to my insurance, it didn't come up in the system yet. They only had the R Coupe listed for 2016. So it has to be reviewed to add a convertible option to the site now, and they'll have to manually process the quote.

Man those manual break-in rules are pretty ridiculous. Some are common sense, but 2,000 miles is a long break-in period! I'll baby it for 500 miles at least, but try to follow the rest as long as I can.

After looking at the hood louvers and how easy they are to remove, I may just pull them and plasti-dip them black for now. Will worry about CF hydrographics later. The side power vents are another story though. apparently they break if you remove them. Might have to leave them as is. Not sure what I'll do about the side skirts yet.

Last edited by Merlin; 05-25-2015 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Thanks all!

Apparently the car is new enough that when I tried to add it to my insurance, it didn't come up in the system yet. They only had the R Coupe listed for 2016. So it has to be reviewed to add a convertible option to the site now, and they'll have to manually process the quote.

Man those manual break-in rules are pretty ridiculous. Some are common sense, but 2,000 miles is a long break-in period! I'll baby it for 500 miles at least, but try to follow the rest as long as I can.

After looking at the hood louvers and how easy they are to remove, I may just pull them and plasti-dip them black for now. Will worry about CF hydrographics later. The side power vents are another story though. apparently they break if you remove them. Might have to leave them as is. Not sure what I'll do about the side skirts yet.
It has been reported that the power vents can be removed unharmed by removing some panel fasteners to give enough room to access the back of the vent. You should be able to find the details by searching the forum.

Old 05-25-2015, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Good luck... I lasted about 80-100 miles before i broke those rules. I've always been on for breaking engines in with full power however.

Post photos when you do the louvers. I've wanted to see how this looks, but was too on the fence about it to pull the trigger. Power vents and skirts aren't too expensive to replace but look a thousand times better in black (and 15' spec.)

Old 05-25-2015, 02:28 PM
Received 121 Likes on 71 Posts

The side power vents are another story though. apparently they break if you remove them.
I managed to pry out the power side vents without removing fender bolts and without breaking the vents. I had to go very slowly and carefully, but it's possible to do.

Congrats on the car, too!

Old 05-25-2015, 06:13 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey folks,

I wasn't able to find a V6S that met my requirements, so I ended up trading up to its big brother!

I now have the following now sitting in my driveway:
2016 Jaguar F-Type V8 R AWD Convertible
Polaris White w/Black Top
Duotone Red Seats w/Red Seat Belts
Vision Pack
20" Blade Wheels
It was a bit too dark to take any pictures when I got the car home, so I'll try to upload something tomorrow.

The only thing I'm not keen on so far is that this car was ordered without the black pack or CF pack. It just looks a bit odd with the white louvers, white side mirrors, white side skirts, and chrome side vents with the CF wheels and top in black. The price for the CF options to remedy that seems a bit outrageous, and not all the parts are available in CF anyway. Going to have to see if I can find someone local to do CF wrap or have them hydro-carbon fiber dipped. I think some Xpel and light tinting may also be in order. Any local SF area recommendations welcomed.

I only have 50 miles on it so far, but I intend to remedy that soon!

I haven't had a chance to review the manual yet. Are there any break-in rules I should be following? The dealer didn't have anything specifically to say on that, but I intend to take it easy and try to avoid going over 4K RPM or so for the first 500 miles. Probably aim to do an oil change after 3 months as well, though I guess the first scheduled one is at one year. Unless this car has the oil life monitoring stuff like BMW does and tells you when you need an oil change... which I don't think it does.

Man, I can see that this car is going to be a thirsty beast... already down 1/8th of a tank like 40 miles. Granted a lot of it was stop and go traffic since one of the local bridges was down.

Now that I'm officially a Jag owner, I signed up for the JCNA NA and SF chapters as well. Hopefully I'll get the chance to meet some of you at one of the upcoming meetups.
Congrats Merlin. I'm sure you won't regret it. I hope to meet you on an upcoming drive.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:16 PM
Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts

Awesome acquisition! Looking forward to more stories

Old 05-25-2015, 09:44 PM

Well, after picking up a few cans of black plasti-dip (and glossifier) I pulled the jag into my garage and opened the hood with the intent of popping out the hood vents. From what I read removing them and reinstalling them is supposed to be a snap, but when I tried to push the clips in to release the louver, the first one just snapped right away. It didn't come off, but I'm pretty sure its broken. Unless they release and are loose but can be snapped back on, which I expect is unlikely since its just plastic. I tried another clip and tried to be more careful and it did the same thing with barely any force. Luckily there are several more clips on there so it isn't in danger of coming loose, but I'm thinking they made the plastic thinner on the clips since the last person reported success at this. At this point I'm debating whether I should either just leave them on the car, mask around them, and do the plasti-dip right on the vents while they are attached to the car, or just order replacements.

I may need to do the plasti-dip of the side mirrors on the car since I can't figure out how to pop them off.

As for the side skirts, I'm not sure how to proceed there. Worst case I could do them on the car as well.

After seeing some of the other cars with the rear leaper and text done in black, I'm thinking I might want to plasti-dip those too. Has anyone else done that? Do they come off without breaking?

Thanks!

Old 05-25-2015, 10:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

For taking the side mirrors off, search for CF carbon fiber mirror install...I got tips from another member on how to take it off when I installed my CF mirror covers. Basically you have to turn the mirror all the way out, then just pull it off. It's a little scary because you feel like you're going to break it, but it actually comes off. Then you have access to the interior to actually pull the covers off.