Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have a confession....

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017 | 04:56 PM
|
Veteran Member
Default I have a confession....

I've had my F for over a month and today was the first time I combined Sport and Dynamic modes on the auto.

Holy hand grenade Batman :-) I thought the smile limiter had already been reached but no...

What a glorious sound (even in the confines of the coupe cabin) and I am sure the VAP tune helped a little.

I'm sure someone must have put together a matrix of dynamic/sport/sport+dynamic somewhere as far as what changes (base model) - I just can't see it for looking at the moment.

Glad to have recently added the MPSS rubber.

Does anybody have a TLDR version ?

Old 02-13-2017 | 05:13 PM
|
Veteran Member

And luckily I spotted this sh*t in the road....

Old 02-13-2017 | 08:48 PM

Does Sport do anything more than shift it to manual mode? (N000B!)
I would looove to hear what dynamic entails, been wondering that myself...
And I was somewhat disappointed to see that "configurable" just means either normal or dynamic, that's it. There is more configurability (again, is that a real word?) in the Infiniti Q50 hybrid that I was looking at...

Old 02-13-2017 | 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Misujerr
Does Sport do anything more than shift it to manual mode? (N000B!)
I would looove to hear what dynamic entails, been wondering that myself...
And I was somewhat disappointed to see that "configurable" just means either normal or dynamic, that's it. There is more configurability (again, is that a real word?) in the Infiniti Q50 hybrid that I was looking at...
Sport changes the shift points in the automatic. Hold gears longer, etc. When in Sport manual mode it will not upshift at redline.

Old 02-13-2017 | 11:42 PM

The car is more configurable than it seems, it's just not as intuitive as others.

I.e...

You have 4 different Traction modes; snow, norm, trac, off
You can configure 5 different dynamic options; engine, trans, steering, suspension
You have sport and regular shifting

That's how I see it anyway. Because the "snow" mode is on the Dynamic switch, in reality, it may not be that linear. It could be dynamic doesn't work in snow.. I've also never tried to turn DSC off from snow mode.. now that I think about it.. will have to check.

Regardless, that gives you a decent number of combinations.

*My* issue is trying to figure out how they all work together. Does the engine run better with dynamic and sport mode on? DSCtrac change any dynamic options? Same with transmission? I'm still not sure..

I end up running in dynamic, TracDSC with suspension in normal and flipping back and forth between sport and standard. I'll turn dynamic suspension on if I'm running the canyons. Some guys keep dynamic off but will run sport, even on the freeway. That's a waste of gas for me, but it shows how many choices there can be.

That said, I do wish we had more control over the actual attitude of the car. Other DSC/TSC cars do a better job IMO.

Last edited by DirtyAir; 02-13-2017 at 11:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Misujerr (02-14-2017)
Old 02-14-2017 | 12:26 AM
|
Veteran Member

So I did return to the owners manual to see what it had to say -

"Dynamic driving mode coordinates the vehicle's control systems to deliver a high performance driving experience."

Nothing much about Sport mode in the gearbox apart from how to select it.

Being the base model, I don't have dynamic suspension so does it just turn the gauges red and open the active exhaust (do have that!) ? Sport mode does appear to delay upshifts (when not in manual mode) but dynamic seems to do that too...with both engaged is that upshift + more upshift ?

For now, Sport + Dynamic seems to be my "it goes to 11" option....

Old 02-14-2017 | 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by stmcknig
So I did return to the owners manual to see what it had to say -

"Dynamic driving mode coordinates the vehicle's control systems to deliver a high performance driving experience."

Nothing much about Sport mode in the gearbox apart from how to select it.

Being the base model, I don't have dynamic suspension so does it just turn the gauges red and open the active exhaust (do have that!) ? Sport mode does appear to delay upshifts (when not in manual mode) but dynamic seems to do that too...with both engaged is that upshift + more upshift ?

For now, Sport + Dynamic seems to be my "it goes to 11" option....
And, here's the crux of the problem. No one seems to know how dynamic and sport operate together. For a car that's been out 3 years, I'm surprised by the lack of knowledge *anywhere* when it comes to the DSC. I may go take that ice driving class just to meet and grill an engineer.

On my car, sport *drastically* changes shift timing and won't let me out of 5th (might be 6th) gear. But, since I'm always in dynamic mode with trans/engine on, it's hard to know how they are working together.

It also takes a while to get to know your car. When I first got in it, I couldn't tell a huge difference between Norma/dynamic steering. Now, I won't drive without it.

Old 02-14-2017 | 10:01 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
The following 3 users liked this post by DJS:
CaptainDavid (02-24-2017), DirtyAir (02-14-2017), Misujerr (02-14-2017)
Old 02-14-2017 | 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by DJS
This discusses Dynamic mode a bit...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wskjex70o2...ntrol.pdf?dl=0
That is a really good doc. Thank you.

Old 02-14-2017 | 10:40 AM
|
Veteran Member

OK, glad I'm not the only one.

With a base I don't have the configurable widgets and I suspect that includes dynamic launch control (although I haven't tried the steps ). Dynamic hints at changing the mapping whilst it seems Sport "just" increases the upshift point. My 2016MY has the electric power steering I believe so it's possible Dynamic could tweak that too vs hydraulic.

Old 02-14-2017 | 10:55 AM
DJS
Veteran Member

Dynamic Launch has been available only on the V6S.

Old 02-14-2017 | 11:06 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
Dynamic Launch has been available only on the V6S.
Dynamic launch is also available on the base model with MT.

Old 02-14-2017 | 01:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by stmcknig
I've had my F for over a month and today was the first time I combined Sport and Dynamic modes on the auto.

Holy hand grenade Batman :-) I thought the smile limiter had already been reached but no...

What a glorious sound (even in the confines of the coupe cabin) and I am sure the VAP tune helped a little.

I'm sure someone must have put together a matrix of dynamic/sport/sport+dynamic somewhere as far as what changes (base model) - I just can't see it for looking at the moment.

Glad to have recently added the MPSS rubber.

Does anybody have a TLDR version ?
Well, I suppose we must be forgiving - given that you've fitted better tyres. But you've taken a month to find out about dynamic?!?

Your Penance must be substantial.

Oh, wait...

So, can we expect to be seeing you at confession on a regular basis???

Old 02-14-2017 | 03:16 PM
|
Veteran Member

Not quite. I've routinely driven with Dynamic engaged. A couple of times put it into Sport. But only just combined the two and lit the blue touch paper....

Old 02-14-2017 | 05:56 PM

Thanks for the info & links! I haven't really driven my enough yet to feel out the differences but looking fwd to it