Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I know I should not complain -- but

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2021, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 257 Posts
Default I know I should not complain -- but

I just dropped off my car to try to get the BSM/rear cross traffic system fixed.
A new sensor module takes 2 days to fit, something to do with having to remove the rear body panel.
The dealer kindly provided an F-Pace loaner. What a disappointment.
Admittedly it is likely the base model, but it feels like a truck.
It lacks all the refinement I expect of Jaguar.
The suspension is soft, the brakes feel spongy, and the interior looks very ordinary.
It is was not for the Jag logos, I would have thought it was a Chevy..
Apologies to members who may also own one of these, but I am hoping to get my F-Type back real soon!!

Old 12-10-2021, 01:41 PM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Thought the same when my sister-in-law test drove one a year or so ago. I was very unimpressed as I've always loved the exterior looks. The inside was just awful...

Old 12-10-2021, 02:25 PM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

I couple of years ago they gave me an Evoque as a loaner, horrible. You really couldn't put a worse engine in it.

Old 12-10-2021, 02:34 PM
Received 98 Likes on 76 Posts

Looks ok to me, at the 3:22 mark is where the interior starts at.

Old 12-10-2021, 02:36 PM
Received 126 Likes on 106 Posts

I just bought an F Pace 35t R-Sport w/tech.

Different reference point. Coming from my 2016 Cayenne Base we traded for a 2018 SQ5 w/sport and Napa leather. Hated it. Traded 30 days later for the F Pace. So far I love it.

Except for the faulty Telematics module that is on galactic back order.

The following 2 users liked this post by Robtrt8:
ferrral (12-17-2021), SVR 575 (12-10-2021)
Old 12-10-2021, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Robtrt8
I just bought an F Pace 35t R-Sport w/tech.

Different reference point. Coming from my 2016 Cayenne Base we traded for a 2018 SQ5 w/sport and Napa leather. Hated it. Traded 30 days later for the F Pace. So far I love it.

Except for the faulty Telematics module that is on galactic back order.
Nice!
Hey did you get a Sedan DeVille as soon you could reach the wheel?

Old 12-11-2021, 06:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 589 Likes on 402 Posts

Well, having both I can certainly agree that there is a notable difference in the interior between the two. Of course, there's also a $30k price difference. With any luck, the F-Pace will develop a serious case of sticky buttons to catch up in a year or two.

I am surprised, however, by your comments on the ride being soft. One of the biggest complaints of F-Pace owners is exactly the opposite. Also, the brakes are essentially the same as the F-Type, albeit working with 400-lbs more weight.

Old 12-11-2021, 07:16 AM
Veteran Member

AS previous it was loaner and likely the base model. For example, it does not have foldable side mirrors.
Fiddling around yesterday, I did find an adjustable setting for driving mode, so have moved from "comfort" to "sport (?)" mode.
Will check that out for the rest of the loan period, but presently I prefer my Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Old 12-11-2021, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by CJSJAG
AS previous it was loaner and likely the base model. For example, it does not have foldable side mirrors.
Fiddling around yesterday, I did find an adjustable setting for driving mode, so have moved from "comfort" to "sport (?)" mode.
Will check that out for the rest of the loan period, but presently I prefer my Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Hey CJ, what year is the loaner you have? I ask because I think the 2021 F Pace in the vid is nice with the quilted leather seats and leather dash, and I know there was a restyle of the interior with the 2021 model year. Maybe your loaner is a 2020?

Old 12-11-2021, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member

it is a Fuji white 2021 with I-4

Old 12-11-2021, 11:20 AM
Received 126 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by CJSJAG
it is a Fuji white 2021 with I-4
There’s the problem. I wouldn’t wish the I4 on my worst enemy. Big difference with the OG 3.0 😁

There is a difference in the brake feel as you said. The Pace IS spongy. But I don’t find it off putting.

Old 12-15-2021, 10:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought the same thing first time I drove an F-Pace but then I later drove a full optioned F-Pace S model with the upgraded suspension (I don’t believe it’s adaptive but could be wrong) and it was vastly better. Less body roll, tighter handling etc.

so my experience is the lower spec base suspension was awful but the higher spec handled on par with many other sporty SUVs within reason.

Old 12-15-2021, 12:39 PM
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Ugh!

It's horses for courses. It's an SUV with all the weight up high. If the seat is the same height as your *** then I'm not interested.

Had one as a loaner and the back stepped out on a bend. Forget it..

Old 12-15-2021, 02:05 PM
Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

As others said, the spec and engine makes a huge difference in the F-Pace, just like in other Jag models. Back in 2016 when the F-Pace was released I had a totally loaded First Edition S as a loaner for a week and was pretty impressed although SUVs leave me cold and although I was used to my top of the range specced XFS Portfolio.

I remember that I was especially surprised by its sharp handling which probably was thanks to its 22" wheels. Build quality wasn't great though... rattly interior and ICTP was glitchy.

I recently also took the master tech of my supplying dealer for a ride to listen to the diff in my F-Type, we had a long chat about different Jags and he described those early F-Paces as total junk that was rushed out of the factory with faults every single one of them. Looks like they shaped up a bit since then. Although it's nice and brings in some cash to JLR I always considered it as one of those cars that Jaguar never should have built. JLR should leave SUVs to Land Rover and I hope that's part of the reimagine plan.

Old 12-15-2021, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by MajorTom
As others said, the spec and engine makes a huge difference in the F-Pace, just like in other Jag models. Back in 2016 when the F-Pace was released I had a totally loaded First Edition S as a loaner for a week and was pretty impressed although SUVs leave me cold and although I was used to my top of the range specced XFS Portfolio.

I remember that I was especially surprised by its sharp handling which probably was thanks to its 22" wheels. Build quality wasn't great though... rattly interior and ICTP was glitchy.

I recently also took the master tech of my supplying dealer for a ride to listen to the diff in my F-Type, we had a long chat about different Jags and he described those early F-Paces as total junk that was rushed out of the factory with faults every single one of them. Looks like they shaped up a bit since then. Although it's nice and brings in some cash to JLR I always considered it as one of those cars that Jaguar never should have built. JLR should leave SUVs to Land Rover and I hope that's part of the reimagine plan.
Can't best that velocity blue tho! One of my favorite blues in any make. I could just sit and stare at it!

Old 12-15-2021, 04:33 PM
Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Fireze22
Can't best that velocity blue tho! One of my favorite blues in any make. I could just sit and stare at it!
Don't know if they changed the name but back then it was called Caesium blue. Agreed, a great color! It worked really well with the interior colors too.

Sticker price was around 100k, which felt a bit silly for that kind of car. Sure it was good, but not 100k good.

Old 12-15-2021, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by MajorTom
Don't know if they changed the name but back then it was called Caesium blue. Agreed, a great color! It worked really well with the interior colors too.

Sticker price was around 100k, which felt a bit silly for that kind of car. Sure it was good, but not 100k good.
Oh had no idea! I'm still new to all things Jag, but it sure is gorgeous!
Honestly, I think very few cars are truly worth $100k, but that's just the world we live in today!

Old 12-15-2021, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 980 Likes on 731 Posts

I had a loaner F-Pace back in their first year when my F-Type was getting a routine service. I dubbed it the Jaggernaut. I couldn't wait to get my F-Type back. It's not that it was bad, just that I strongly dislike SUVs and it did not feel like a sibling (or offspring) of the F-Type. I think the marketing was leaning on the family resemblance and I didn't see it. I don't remember the trim level.

Old 12-15-2021, 11:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
I had a loaner F-Pace back in their first year when my F-Type was getting a routine service. I dubbed it the Jaggernaut. I couldn't wait to get my F-Type back. It's not that it was bad, just that I strongly dislike SUVs and it did not feel like a sibling (or offspring) of the F-Type. I think the marketing was leaning on the family resemblance and I didn't see it. I don't remember the trim level.
Back in 1988, I bought a brand new Jaguar XJ6 in Dorchester Grey (Mulberry interior) which—believe it or not—was a trouble-free and in my opinion gorgeous car. I recall being invited to a focus group (which included a splendid lunch and maybe even a few $) shortly thereafter with the “focus” being whether Jaguar should venture into the SUV business. We all know how ubiquitous, and profitable, SUV’s have become—at one point I even had a Ford Explorer when I owned my first house—but I was in the majority firmly against Jaguar entering into that type of vehicle.

Old 12-16-2021, 06:12 AM
Received 273 Likes on 190 Posts

Had a '17 F Pace S for a few years and traded it for a '20 F Pace SVR. They both have adaptive suspension and neither felt soft. The SVR is something like 20% stiffer though and handles very well, not to mention those 550 HP. Of course it doesn't handle like my F Type, but then again it is a heavy SUV. I don't mind "having" to drive it at all though. The '21+ interiors have been renewed, but our '20 has a nicer interior than my F Type with the diamond quilting and alcantara headliner.

Quick Reply: I know I should not complain -- but