F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need your End of Lease buyout Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2020, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts

I know it might fly in the face of reason but I would take my Jag over an Audi. I've had several Audis and will never get another. Unless it's a lease and I hand it back as "someone else's problem". That honestly would apply to a BMW. So many of those "reliable german engineering" components can be so buried in the front that the only way to get to them is hike the engine out. My S4 was a case in point. Ran into the timing chain guide problem that Audi have yet to acknowledge because they don't read the owner forums. It was the V8 4.2 and guess where the damn timing chains are ? Yep against the bulkhead so engine has to come out, replace the shitty plastic parts with slightly less shitty plastic parts and stuff the engine back in. I was the original owner, kept religiously (overly so on oil changes) to scheduled maintenance and at 70K miles and 10 years the estimate was $5K. Not because of the parts but the engine out/in malarkey.

I facepalm every time other car forums drag the Lucas Curse back into conversation about JLR. My 2016 V6 just warranty expired too. But I think I'm going to stash the cash I would have handed to the insurance folks in my piggy bank.

YMMV.

The following 2 users liked this post by stmcknig:
CRS 123 (09-12-2020), NBCat (09-11-2020)
Old 09-11-2020, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
Do you know what year updated plastic pipes were factory installed? I thought issues with catastrophic failure was only present on early XKRs, by the time F-type rolled out these issues were largely sorted out, so you only have to worry about normal age-related plastic stress. Is this not true?
All I know for sure is they went backwards in 2012 on the AJ133SC!
With the front cross-over pipe, the big one near the top of the engine.
On my 2010 XFR it was alloy and caused zero problems, then the beancounters went to work and in 2012 they replaced it with a plastic one that was extremely problematic for a few years (splitting along the seam) before they upgraded it to a seamless version.
No problems that I know of with this pipe on the V6 although it was plastic from the get go.

Old 09-11-2020, 07:34 PM
YRS
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

At the end of the day, you know this car and it's maintenance history. That's incredibly important. And regarding the "Audi" story, I have my own. I'd leased a 2007 RS4 and then bought out the lease at lease end. I also purchased an extended warranty to cover unexpected major repairs. Why? Because I absolutely loved the car. That's the litmus test that counts --buying cars you feel passionate about is a love story. Don't get all caught up in the naysayers. To wit, there were horror stories all over about a range of RS4 issues (shocks, clutch, carbon cleaning, brakes...etc -- does not have the same timing chain issue as S4's -- BTW) and when my lease came to a close, I had to keep the car, but did insulate myself with a warranty. After six more years of Audi RS4 ownership I came to the conclusion that consistent maintenance with high quality products and non-abuse were keys to success. Bottom line, never used that extended warranty once -- nothing broke. In fact, only item needed fixing in eight years was a DRC shock recall, a ignition recall, and I had to fix a broken glove box. Frankly, if you really look at the Jag F Type "issues" noted above, they're pretty minor stuff...all ancillaries that are pretty common to any machine -- a few hundred bucks in preventative maintenance every five years or so to replace plastic bits if you want to be really ****. What you may want to do is price a good extended warranty for peace of mind. But once you find something that floats your boat...stay the course. I sold that RS4 because someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I've regretted selling that car until I finally parked my F Type R in the garage. I'm back in love.

The following 3 users liked this post by YRS:
Carbuff2 (09-12-2020), CRS 123 (09-12-2020), scm (09-12-2020)
Old 09-12-2020, 04:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

While random failures are always possible, I don't expect to see coolant pipes reaching end of life on 2017 car anytime soon. Expecting them to last 10 years is not unreasonable. You can help this by removing plastic engine cover, it will reduce engine bay temperatures and will make plastic parts last longer.

I ended up buying out my F-type. Recommend you do the same, as these cars are a keeper. Also recommend doing more on maintenance - more frequent oil changes, more frequent fluid changes will result in a car that should last a long time.
Also, the coolant piping issues are supposedly resolved by the time the '17s were produced.

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
CRS 123 (09-12-2020), SinF (09-26-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 02:48 AM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by NBCat
The main concern with the AJ133 is longevity of many of the cooling system components. Since the outlet pipe and heater pipe are made of plastic, they can only withstand a finite number of cold to hot to cold cycles prior to failing. It's not a matter of if, but when with these parts.

It may be best to have many of the plastic cooling system components replaced if you intend to keep the vehicle as catastrophic engine damage is the result if they're allowed to fail. Replacing the crossover/heater pipe at the back of the engine requires removal of the supercharger assembly.
would this https://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.p...___xj___f_type fit the v6s as well? or is it not a problem for the v6

Old 09-26-2020, 03:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Holy F type
would this https://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.p...___xj___f_type fit the v6s as well? or is it not a problem for the v6
Maybe, maybe not.
But I seem to recall that particular pipe is different between the V8 and V6.
A quick search of the Britcar site shows only that one and no V6 version.
Maybe just drop them a line and ask them, I have always found them to be helpful.

Old 09-27-2020, 04:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Holy F type
At least for MY16, it does fit the V6.
https://www.jaguarparts.com/oem-part...lange-aj814007

The following users liked this post:
SinF (09-27-2020)
Old 09-27-2020, 06:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

@Unhingd Do you know if updated part # for this hose went into our early 16s?

I was washing engine bay, and I think I could see that hose at the back of the engine going into firewall. Seems to be straight-forward to replace.

Old 09-27-2020, 07:03 AM
Veteran Member

@Unhingd Do you know if updated part # for this hose went into our early 16s?

I was washing engine bay, and I think I could see that hose at the back of the engine going into firewall. Seems to be straight-forward to replace.
I can't confirm for certain, but I believe we are safe. I know the changeover occurred late MY15 to early My16, and our cars were produced in the 3rd or 4th month of MY16 production. At my 5th annual inspection, I had the dealer pressure test the coolant system. All good.