Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I owned a Jaguar F-Type 2014 convertible

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by sts-v
Comeon this guy cant be serious. "I got a red check engine light, what is wrong"
Trolling...LOL

Old 11-21-2017, 10:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The light is Amber yellow and is not red...I don't think I ever stated the color.
I did try the gas cap but was not the issue.
This is my first Jaguar and I have no experience with Jaguars so I apologize if I am not been very helpful.

I obtained the codes:
P0442
Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (small leak)

Question to anybody that can help:
This appears like a small issue, however, it could develop to a bigger one if I don't take care of it soon.
Can I fix this problem myself?
I am trying to reserve the dealer for major things
I am trying to avoid the dealer for small things if I can do them my self.
Thoughts?

Old 11-21-2017, 10:38 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,148 Likes on 1,438 Posts

Try searching for P0442 in this document, for a bit more insight...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ek33ux7tf...guide.pdf?dl=0

Doubt this would be something easy to track down; if you're in the States, I would think it may fail a state inspection with this fault.

I had the evaporative purge valve replace a few years ago, though no idea what codes it threw.

The following users liked this post:
UBI (11-21-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 10:56 AM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Is this the issue described in the K410 update?

Old 11-21-2017, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,000 Likes on 747 Posts

I got the same symptom, and it was covered under warranty (the K410 issue). It requires removal of the seats and some interior panels. Since it is an emissions system problem, it should be covered.

Old 11-21-2017, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
I got the same symptom, and it was covered under warranty (the K410 issue). It requires removal of the seats and some interior panels. Since it is an emissions system problem, it should be covered.
yep, sounds like the leaky vapor tube.

Old 11-22-2017, 01:15 PM

sorry for that, I guess I want to do it myself but I believe this should be taking by the dealer.....just to have an idea of the cost if anyone comment on that will be great.

Old 11-22-2017, 01:18 PM

Sorry guys,
if it was done under the warranty you wouldn't know how much!.....so sorry for that.

Old 11-22-2017, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member

Since there was a TSB on this issue, maybe they will consider replacing it for free even if the car is out of warranty. Certainly worth asking.

Old 11-24-2017, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,000 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Since there was a TSB on this issue, maybe they will consider replacing it for free even if the car is out of warranty. Certainly worth asking.
I'm not sure where the OP is, but assuming it is somewhere in the United States, emissions control systems have a legally mandated warranty longer than the manufacturer's warranty on other items. I think it's 8 years or 80,000 miles. This should be covered, as it causes a CEL and the code indicates emissions system. Not much ambiguity there.

Old 11-24-2017, 01:59 PM
Veteran Member

I'm not sure where the OP is, but assuming it is somewhere in the United States, emissions control systems have a legally mandated warranty longer than the manufacturer's warranty on other items. I think it's 8 years or 80,000 miles. This should be covered, as it causes a CEL and the code indicates emissions system. Not much ambiguity there.
good point!

Old 11-24-2017, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member

Based on his resistance it seems he is not in the USA and/or has a specific reason for "dealer aversion".

Old 12-05-2017, 12:46 PM

Hi all,

I first would like to thank all who have responded to my emails. It is very frustrating when you have a type of a car we never had before and the engine light goes on, specifically when this could represent a lot of money in repairs.

I learned that if you search the DTC code in Google, Google will give you an enormous amount of information on the code. So, I would suggest anybody to do that. I was impressed on the detailed information I found.

I just, would like to say that I followed the instructions/suggestions that I found in Google and my Umber(yellow) Engine light is off.

It turns out that my gas cap was to tight!...I typically give it 3 clicks but it should have been only 1 Click. There are contradicting information right on the gas cap.

I went with the clicks on the gas cap first...and if that didn't work, I was going to change the gas cap as it was suggested.
Those were the least expensive approaches for the fix.

So, I filled my gas tank twice this past week and with that I click the gas cap only once....sure enough, in about 2 days the light went off!!!

Question: I am looking to repair my alloy wheels because as we all know is very difficult to keep them without a scratch.
Does any body know how much it cost to fix a curve damage?...I imaging is based on the amount of work it needs, but just a ball park will be helpful.

Best,
2014Jag-G

Old 12-05-2017, 12:57 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Re the gas cap - it is recommended to click it at least 3 times or else the light can come on. I experienced this issue once when I only clicked it once - had to re-tighten it and the light went off after a few miles.

Old 12-05-2017, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GinoPiedra
Hi all,

I first would like to thank all who have responded to my emails. It is very frustrating when you have a type of a car we never had before and the engine light goes on, specifically when this could represent a lot of money in repairs.

I learned that if you search the DTC code in Google, Google will give you an enormous amount of information on the code. So, I would suggest anybody to do that. I was impressed on the detailed information I found.

I just, would like to say that I followed the instructions/suggestions that I found in Google and my Umber(yellow) Engine light is off.

It turns out that my gas cap was to tight!...I typically give it 3 clicks but it should have been only 1 Click. There are contradicting information right on the gas cap.

I went with the clicks on the gas cap first...and if that didn't work, I was going to change the gas cap as it was suggested.
Those were the least expensive approaches for the fix.

So, I filled my gas tank twice this past week and with that I click the gas cap only once....sure enough, in about 2 days the light went off!!!

Question: I am looking to repair my alloy wheels because as we all know is very difficult to keep them without a scratch.
Does any body know how much it cost to fix a curve damage?...I imaging is based on the amount of work it needs, but just a ball park will be helpful.

Best,
2014Jag-G
Good to see that you figured out the gas cap was no big deal. There are a number of companies that will come to your home or place of work and can generally repair any CURB damage for as little as $85 or as much as $150/wheel. Here is the company I used for my BMW X5 recently
Request A Quote

Here are two others that I considered. I believe they are nationwide
Kwicksilver Wheel Repair ? Rim Repair & Alloy Wheel Repair Franchise
Wheel/Rim Repair Services