F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I wonder if there are any unicorn F types in 60 or 70 years like this XJ-S !!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2023 | 09:41 PM
|
Veteran Member
Default I wonder if there are any unicorn F types in 60 or 70 years like this XJ-S !!!

A nice cop guided Jay Leno to a hoarder house. This is unbelievable
https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8LY6RgF/

Old 08-03-2023 | 07:24 AM
Veteran Member

Posted this yesterday but think it is an E-Type!!!
And I think the answer to the question is a resounding NO!!
There will not be any mechanics alive who know how to work on ICE vehicles.

Last edited by CJSJAG; 08-03-2023 at 07:27 AM.
Old 08-03-2023 | 10:14 AM

I dunno... maybe it's too quick to decry the loss of ICE mechanics.

Decades ago, I used to love the process of selecting an LP record from my collection, removing it from the sleeve (by the edges of course), placing it on the turntable, gingerly setting the stylus just before the starting groove, and listening to the crackle and pop before the music started. With the advent of CD's and then MP players (not to mention mobile phones), I was pretty convinced that my LP's and turntables were destined for the trash heap. But I read now that there's a growing demand of LP sales. And high-class turntables are now being made and sold for $10K and upwards. Whaaa?!!

Perhaps in the future, ICE mechanics will be fewer and far between, but the ones that survive (and relearn) will no doubt be more focused on how to finding and correcting problems, rather than if they can complete the "fix" On-time-and-under-budget.

Old 08-03-2023 | 10:18 AM
Veteran Member

Must admit to still owning a lot of (mostly classical) LPs plus lots of (nearly obsolete) CDs.
Turntable is an original Thorens that still does the job quite well and I am convinced the analog sound is better than digital.

Old 08-03-2023 | 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by theEIger
I dunno... maybe it's too quick to decry the loss of ICE mechanics.

Decades ago, I used to love the process of selecting an LP record from my collection, removing it from the sleeve (by the edges of course), placing it on the turntable, gingerly setting the stylus just before the starting groove, and listening to the crackle and pop before the music started. With the advent of CD's and then MP players (not to mention mobile phones), I was pretty convinced that my LP's and turntables were destined for the trash heap. But I read now that there's a growing demand of LP sales. And high-class turntables are now being made and sold for $10K and upwards. Whaaa?!!

Perhaps in the future, ICE mechanics will be fewer and far between, but the ones that survive (and relearn) will no doubt be more focused on how to finding and correcting problems, rather than if they can complete the "fix" On-time-and-under-budget.
Some turntables are going WAY over $10K. This one is $363K!

https://www.stereophile.com/content/...%B6der-tonearm

Old 08-03-2023 | 12:06 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by cpq100
Some turntables are going WAY over $10K. This one is $363K!

https://www.stereophile.com/content/...%B6der-tonearm
It all depends what is downstream from the player, tho. Mixers, amps, speakers, etc. But someone buying that, well... I think the downstream is likely quite lovely.
Anyone on discogs? https://www.discogs.com/user/unclefi...sort_order=asc

And there's hobbyists of all sorts. Think of the guys who love working with steam contraptions or ancient instruments. Youtube is full of craftspeople machining their own tools and goofing off on obsolete stuff just for the fun and history.