F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idle question

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2024, 06:36 PM
Received 141 Likes on 99 Posts
Default Idle question

How smooth should one expect the idle to be on these things when in neutral or park with the engine running? I feel like the idle has become a bit more noticeable than it first was when I got it, but it's really hard to say. It's not terrible but I feel almost as if there is some shake in the seat at times? It's somewhat subtle.

Could be nothing, just thought I would ask. The car has 200km on it, so it's early days.

I'll have to keep an eye on it.

Old 06-15-2024, 07:36 PM
Received 203 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by DMeister
How smooth should one expect the idle to be on these things when in neutral or park with the engine running? I feel like the idle has become a bit more noticeable than it first was when I got it, but it's really hard to say. It's not terrible but I feel almost as if there is some shake in the seat at times? It's somewhat subtle.

Could be nothing, just thought I would ask. The car has 200km on it, so it's early days.

I'll have to keep an eye on it.

If you post a video (with good sound quality and the hood raised) of the engine at idle then there are people here with enough experience to potentially notice issues.

That's the second-best option; the best one being to take it to a good shop and let them have a listen.

Old 06-15-2024, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Luc Lapierre
If you post a video (with good sound quality and the hood raised) of the engine at idle then there are people here with enough experience to potentially notice issues.

That's the second-best option; the best one being to take it to a good shop and let them have a listen.
I stood outside the car with it running and it seemed very normal to me. I’ll have to open the hood as well.

Thanks for the response

Old 06-16-2024, 12:39 PM

I'll ask it in a simpler way:

Does anybody on here ever feel any sensation of a small shake in their seat ever with their F-type? Or is your seat always completely dead? I'm just trying to assess whether my expectations are wrong.

Found this link on here that seems to sound kinda similar for some guy (mind you he seems to suggest his is more noticeable than just in the seat), and the thread seems to go in the direction of others saying they experience similar, that it can be normal with the engine, etc... -->

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...anyone-263840/

I opened the hood today with it running after taking it for a run. Everything sounds smooth to my untrained ear. Nothing visibly shaking in there, I put my hand on the engine while its running and do feel a small bit of vibration.

The RPMs don't move at all on the tac, and I don't see or feel shaking anywhere else. Just ever so slightly and occasionally on the seat. I sat in the passenger seat and it was probably about the same.

It's very infrequent I'd say in terms of my experiencing it in the seat, not consistent. Certainly not sitting there shaking the seat all the time kinda thing, that's for sure.

No lights on the dash etc...

I've yet to get a code reader so I don't really know if any "silent codes" are getting thrown...

I removed the Claws Out Mode exhaust mod setup I installed very recently as well. Unlikely that this would have anything to do with it, I know, but I put it back stock just in case it could have been playing in. It still seems to happen with that stuff not in the picture, so that rules that out.

Old 06-16-2024, 01:34 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

What engine speed (RPMs) does your engine idle at?

Old 06-16-2024, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by DJS
What engine speed (RPMs) does your engine idle at?
It looks to be approx 600, possibly slightly higher? i.e.: Once the revs drop, it's fully warmed up, etc...Again, stays there steady...From just looking at the tach

Old 06-16-2024, 08:37 PM
Received 178 Likes on 114 Posts

It’s normal to have some odd vibrations here and there, nothing is wrong. It’s mostly felt from the foot.

The following users liked this post:
Cosshog (06-17-2024)
Old 06-16-2024, 09:18 PM
Received 446 Likes on 241 Posts

These cars do not idle as smoothly as, say, a 4-cyl Honda. Mine has a bit of a rough idle but I would fully expect that from a 450+ HP performance car. It seems appropriate to the mission of these cars and completely normal (at least for the V8s).

Old 06-16-2024, 09:37 PM
Received 178 Likes on 114 Posts

Forgot to add, the car seems to idle a tad bit more rough after gaping the spark plugs to 0.03 inch, not 100% sure though though and unrelated if you did not or do not intend to tune the car.

Old 06-17-2024, 01:33 AM

Thanks for the responses guys. I’ve never owned a car like this before, with this much power, so I am open to the possibility it is “normal”. Just trying to get the lay of the land here, get some thoughts of others like yourselves etc…It helps a lot. The last thing I want is to have the dealer chasing a ghost.

I definitely don’t plan to tune this car at all. Don’t know what to do with the power it already has most of the time with it being an R ;-o I see both your cars are tuned, so not sure if that is playing into the “rough idle” in your cases. I’m not even sure rough idle is the right term in my case.

Car drives beautifully, just that occasional artifact standing out to me a bit. Happy to have more impressions from others about this topic and your cars if your wiling.

Thanks

Old 06-17-2024, 02:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

If it's any help, my F-Type with the AJ126 V6 idles smooth as butter with zero vibration or shake, sometimes I have to check the tacho to make sure its even running, whereas my old XFR with the AJ133 V8 SC had a slightly lumpy idle with just a very small shake or vibration occasionally.
The V6 has a split/offset crank and a balance shaft while the V8 has neither.

Old 06-17-2024, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
If it's any help, my F-Type with the AJ126 V6 idles smooth as butter with zero vibration or shake, sometimes I have to check the tacho to make sure its even running, whereas my old XFR with the AJ133 V8 SC had a slightly lumpy idle with just a very small shake or vibration occasionally.
The V6 has a split/offset crank and a balance shaft while the V8 has neither.
All these comments are super helpful. In my case the car sounds smooth and looks smooth. The only inkling I have is a non-consistent occasional feeling of something in the seat as I’ve said. That’s it, otherwise there would be nothing to talk about.

Old 06-17-2024, 05:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 380 Likes on 266 Posts

I would strongly advise against eating beans before you start the car!!

The following users liked this post:
DMeister (06-17-2024)
Old 06-17-2024, 05:54 AM
Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts

Not going to lie, I had the same concern when I got mine last month. It’s definitely not a refined idle, or a refined engine/exhaust note. Completely different than the Germans and other luxury brands in that regard. However nothing was identified as a problem in my car (from 2 separate PPI’s) so I think that’s just the character of the car. It may be lumpy but it sounds good when I’m on it!

Old 06-17-2024, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by CJSJAG
I would strongly advise against eating beans before you start the car!!
Probably good advice, as it would make it harder to feel the artifact I’m talking about. Then I wouldn’t know if it was me or the car making the artifact ;-0

In all seriousness, like a lot of things, it can sometimes come down to being an expectations problem. Starting to get a sense that perhaps my expectations are maybe off.

Old 06-17-2024, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Atipical
Not going to lie, I had the same concern when I got mine last month. It’s definitely not a refined idle, or a refined engine/exhaust note. Completely different than the Germans and other luxury brands in that regard. However nothing was identified as a problem in my car (from 2 separate PPI’s) so I think that’s just the character of the car. It may be lumpy but it sounds good when I’m on it!
I don’t know, when I’m outside listening to the car running it seems smooth. Just the physical feeling in the seat on occasion that I’ve mentioned, and it’s not bad.

Do you feel something in the seat on occasion as well?

Old 06-17-2024, 06:30 AM

At the end of the day, if what I’m describing is characteristic to the engine setup then it is what it is. Just trying to establish if it is “normal”, and you guys chiming in like this is helping greatly with that.

Old 06-17-2024, 09:03 AM
Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by DMeister
I don’t know, when I’m outside listening to the car running it seems smooth. Just the physical feeling in the seat on occasion that I’ve mentioned, and it’s not bad.

Do you feel something in the seat on occasion as well?
On the outside it sounds relatively normal but just a little more dissonant noise than I'd get from say a Porsche or Lexus. Agreed with the seat feeling, however it's also worth mentioning that I did pull Fuse 15.

Old 06-17-2024, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Atipical
On the outside it sounds relatively normal but just a little more dissonant noise than I'd get from say a Porsche or Lexus. Agreed with the seat feeling, however it's also worth mentioning that I did pull Fuse 15.
Based on my experience I suspect you would still have that sensation in the seat I'm talking about even if you replaced the fuse.

I completely removed my Claws Out Mode setup to rule that out and put the fuse physically back in. The same thing is there whether the Claws Out Mode setup was there or not, so it only stands to reason you would have the "issue" even if your fuse was back in.

Old 06-17-2024, 12:11 PM

I'm relieved it was not my Claws Out Mode setup in any way that was creating issues, as I'm not sure I could do without that at this point ;-) Pretty sweet and highly recommended.

Quick Reply: Idle question