F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you're approaching 60k miles, *change* your Spark Plugs and Fuel Injectors

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2021, 01:55 PM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Exclamation If you're approaching 60k miles, *change* your Spark Plugs and Fuel Injectors

So I'm halfway done with the plug and fuel injector change on my '14 Model S with 58k miles, and this has been some of the most frustrating maintenance that I've ever done on a car. I don't know why, but carbon buildup on these injectors is absolutely horrendous, with injector #3 being especially bad. I purchase Tier 1 fuel only, I run a bottle of Chevron Techron through every 6 months, and I definitely do not baby the car... so you would think these injectors would be in relatively good shape. I'm here to tell you that they are not. I may switch to BG44K every 6 months instead, now that I've seen what's been going on.

The plugs, on the other hand, were in great shape for the amount of miles on them. I feel like they probably could've gone at least another 10k-20k miles. Burn signature on the electrode leads me to believe it may be a little lean on the high-end, but the darkness down around the threads makes me think the fuel map may be a bit fat at idle. It should be noted, I have a lower pulley and tune from VAP currently.

Anyway, I'll try to take some pictures and add them to the thread once I get into the driver's side bank. Wish me luck.

The following 2 users liked this post by XxMerlinxX:
dwmilton (08-12-2021), schuss (08-02-2021)
Old 08-01-2021, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 408 Likes on 280 Posts

just wave your magic wand

The following users liked this post:
XxMerlinxX (08-02-2021)
Old 08-01-2021, 07:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

I just had my six year service, which actually came in at about 42K miles instead of 96K. I asked that they save my spark plugs so I could inspect them. They not only did so, but labeled each as to the cylinder it came from. They were uniform, and didn't look bad, but they didn't look as good as I'd hoped either. In 2015 the V6 called for three years, but for 2016 they changed to sic, to match the V8. I expect it's no coincidence this was when the the "complimentary" maintenance was extended to five years. I want to look at them more closely but mostly, it looks like what I'd classify as deposits on the center insulator from additives. Virtually all the fuel that's gone through the engine has been Chevron (top tier, with Techron, plus it's the closet station to home).

Given the HP/liter output, I'll likely go to a shorter service interval for plugs than the factory now calls for. I never had issues, but I'm not logging things like pulled timing.

Old 08-02-2021, 01:46 AM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi,

thank you so much for this feedback. what is the bigger expense? Switching the Spark Plugs or switching the fuel injectors?
A friend switched the Plugs last month, and now I´m thinking it is better to change also the fuel injectors too. I have also the VAP Stage2,
but this setup runs around 5.000 km, and I have now 53.000km on my F Type R AWD

Thank you for you answer
BR Andi

Old 08-02-2021, 05:46 AM
Received 136 Likes on 84 Posts

My number 3 injector stuck wide open at 25,000 miles. Had to get a breakdown lorry home! Interesting the original poster found number 3 was the worst injector, and it was my number 3 that stuck. Any rational?

Old 08-02-2021, 06:54 AM
Obi
Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Just a friendly reminder to consider S1 redline

Old 08-02-2021, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Andi Jaguar G
Hi,

thank you so much for this feedback. what is the bigger expense? Switching the Spark Plugs or switching the fuel injectors?
A friend switched the Plugs last month, and now I´m thinking it is better to change also the fuel injectors too. I have also the VAP Stage2,
but this setup runs around 5.000 km, and I have now 53.000km on my F Type R AWD

Thank you for you answer
BR Andi
Fuel injectors will be the bigger expense, each injector costs approximately $100. The spark plugs and the injectors are practically side by side, so anyone who needs to change either set should probably go ahead and do the other.

Originally Posted by dibbyandco
My number 3 injector stuck wide open at 25,000 miles. Had to get a breakdown lorry home! Interesting the original poster found number 3 was the worst injector, and it was my number 3 that stuck. Any rational?
I very nearly thought I wouldn't get injector #3 out. I used some penetrating oil and had to let it soak overnight before it finally broke free.

The following 2 users liked this post by XxMerlinxX:
dwmilton (08-12-2021), schuss (08-02-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

FWIW, unless the injector is damaged you don't need to replace them. Replacing them is quicker, but you can have them cleaned and flow balanced:

https://www.rcfuelinjection.com/

There are more places than RC around who do this but I've done this for all of my track cars. Typically takes around 2 weeks turn around time including shipping time.

schuss (08-02-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 408 Likes on 280 Posts

Sounds like you know what you are doing Merlin, good stuff , many on here don't and rely on guys like you posting how to , good luck and hope to hear how you get on , with photos please lol

Old 08-02-2021, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mahjik
FWIW, unless the injector is damaged you don't need to replace them. Replacing them is quicker, but you can have them cleaned and flow balanced:

https://www.rcfuelinjection.com/

There are more places than RC around who do this but I've done this for all of my track cars. Typically takes around 2 weeks turn around time including shipping time.
That's true, and I've heard of lots of people having great luck with RC Engineering, especially in the rotary world. However, there have been at least three part revisions (going off of the factory stamps to the injectors themselves) to the Bosch injectors used in the Model S, so I'm hoping this newest revision is better than my original injectors.

Old 08-02-2021, 06:21 PM
Obi

Originally Posted by Obi
Just a friendly reminder to consider S1 redline
As well as Lucas

Old 08-03-2021, 02:26 AM

[QUOTE=XxMerlinxX;2423567]Fuel injectors will be the bigger expense, each injector costs approximately $100. The spark plugs and the injectors are practically side by side, so anyone who needs to change either set should probably go ahead and do the other.

Hi,
sorry, my english is not good enough. My question was not the price but the workload!
Does the exchange take longer or shorter than the spark plugs? Who is the original equipment manufacturer for these nozzles? BOSCH, is there an exact name for this which you have installed?
I find for my R AWD V8 this one: BOSCH 8W93-9F593_BC / Original Jaguar Part Nr. C2D55183
Many thanks...

BR Andi

Last edited by Andi Jaguar G; 08-03-2021 at 03:28 AM.
Old 08-03-2021, 05:20 PM
YRS
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Not sure fuel injector cleaner or even first class gas will address this issue. My Audi RS4 had the same challenge, and I had the valves cleaned every 30,000 miles or so...about at $1,000 per pop. Bottom line, if you have some sort of direct injection to the top end of the cylinder versus at the intake valves, you won't benefit from the washing effect of the gasoline. To make it worse, the recirculated oily air from the bottom of the motor accumulates there. Sometimes an oil catch can can take out some or most of the stuff, but it won't eliminate the problem.

Old 08-04-2021, 09:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by YRS
Not sure fuel injector cleaner or even first class gas will address this issue. My Audi RS4 had the same challenge, and I had the valves cleaned every 30,000 miles or so...about at $1,000 per pop. Bottom line, if you have some sort of direct injection to the top end of the cylinder versus at the intake valves, you won't benefit from the washing effect of the gasoline. To make it worse, the recirculated oily air from the bottom of the motor accumulates there. Sometimes an oil catch can can take out some or most of the stuff, but it won't eliminate the problem.
Are you talking about the intake valves themselves? If so, then yes, a full Direct Injection system won't clean them. As far spark plugs and the injectors themselves, I'm not sure those comments are relevant. This is my first DI car, so I am trying to pay attention to these things. The hybrid system that Subaru/Toyota is using seems a good way to go for at least two reasons, but that's not what we've got.

Old 08-04-2021, 10:02 PM
Obi

Originally Posted by lizzardo
Are you talking about the intake valves themselves? If so, then yes, a full Direct Injection system won't clean them. As far spark plugs and the injectors themselves, I'm not sure those comments are relevant. This is my first DI car, so I am trying to pay attention to these things. The hybrid system that Subaru/Toyota is using seems a good way to go for at least two reasons, but that's not what we've got.
s1 redline (and wmi) will clean intake.

Lucas fuel injector treatment will help clean the fuel injectors. These injectors don't necessarily break, they just get stuck open

Old 08-05-2021, 01:45 AM

#5 was the worst with #3 being second worst. Got'em all swapped out and she's purring again. I'm telling you guys, if you're near 60k miles, at least pull them and clean them. Those two cylinders took forever to get the injectors out of, even with that special Jag injector tool.

dwmilton (08-12-2021)
Old 08-05-2021, 02:26 AM

what? this is what they look like after 60,000 miles? unbelivable but true.
I will also swap mine (60,000 km), I also installed Stage 2 from VAP. Can you get this out after 60,000 km without Jaguar special tools?
What do you think?

Thank you so much
BR Andi

Old 08-05-2021, 06:34 AM
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by XxMerlinxX

#5 was the worst with #3 being second worst. Got'em all swapped out and she's purring again. I'm telling you guys, if you're near 60k miles, at least pull them and clean them. Those two cylinders took forever to get the injectors out of, even with that special Jag injector tool.
That was good luck getting them out. You could have to go my route.

Old 08-05-2021, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 984 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Andi Jaguar G
what? this is what they look like after 60,000 miles? unbelivable but true.
I will also swap mine (60,000 km), I also installed Stage 2 from VAP. Can you get this out after 60,000 km without Jaguar special tools?
What do you think?

Thank you so much
BR Andi
No matter what mileage you have, you need to use the injector puller tool. No reason to risk creating issues you do not need to. Tool is a simple slide hammer fitted for these injectors.

DC

Old 08-05-2021, 12:19 PM

I agree with TheRock88, it may be possible using normal tools, but I would strongly urge you to get the Jag specific injector puller.

Quick Reply: If you're approaching 60k miles, *change* your Spark Plugs and Fuel Injectors