F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Income for F-type R...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 05:28 PM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

So how did the look / test drive go?

Is the interest still there? Fire stoked? Or bloom off the rose?

Salesmen are universal...presuming 'poverty think' and knowing it works 90% of the time. I try my best to ignore it.

Last edited by Slee_Stack; 04-24-2016 at 05:30 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Slee_Stack:
LobsterClaws (05-26-2016), Philly Single (05-26-2016), Unhingd (05-26-2016)
Old 04-24-2016, 09:47 PM
BMo
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Um, yeah bruh, you can afford one. Pull the trigger and don't look back!!!

Old 04-25-2016, 09:08 AM
Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

Head vs. Heart.

No one "needs" a $110,000 sports-car that has a rated capacity of about 420 lb of people and luggage and minimal room for the luggage. I was smitten by the C-X16 concept car and when the F-Type Coupe was released I was no longer in love with my old ride, I couldn't wait to sell it and order the F-Type (Wife said "one mistress/toy at a time").

My wife INSISTED that I apply to Suze Orman for the F-Type and get Suze Orman's "APPROVED" T-Shirt before she would go along with the purchase. I filled out the paper-work and was slated to be called for her show, but did not get her call: based on my financial profile it was a NO BRAINER that I could afford the car. So with Suze Orman's implicit blessing and the green light from our financial advisor, my wife went along with the purchase (I intend to hold the car for a long time or trade it if it's not reliable -- so far, no problems).

My wife has now fallen for the F-Type too. 1 week 1,200 mile road-trip proved it to be a comfortable cruiser with room for our stuff. Then my wife took it 350 miles round-trip to Maryland. Driving home at night in the rain she engaged the "rain and snow" mode -- when she got home, she was totally in love with the car: loved the lights, the automatic wipers, the rock-solid handling, the speed and the driver-centered experience. She understands now...

Sounds like you can afford it too -- to quote JLR: "How alive are YOU?"

Old 04-25-2016, 11:51 PM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Slee_Stack
So how did the look / test drive go?

Is the interest still there? Fire stoked? Or bloom off the rose?

Salesmen are universal...presuming 'poverty think' and knowing it works 90% of the time. I try my best to ignore it.
Booked a flight to the dealership for May 6-7th (that's how far away I am from civilization).

Old 04-25-2016, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by TR64ever
Head vs. Heart.

No one "needs" a $110,000 sports-car that has a rated capacity of about 420 lb of people and luggage and minimal room for the luggage. I was smitten by the C-X16 concept car and when the F-Type Coupe was released I was no longer in love with my old ride, I couldn't wait to sell it and order the F-Type (Wife said "one mistress/toy at a time").

My wife INSISTED that I apply to Suze Orman for the F-Type and get Suze Orman's "APPROVED" T-Shirt before she would go along with the purchase. I filled out the paper-work and was slated to be called for her show, but did not get her call: based on my financial profile it was a NO BRAINER that I could afford the car. So with Suze Orman's implicit blessing and the green light from our financial advisor, my wife went along with the purchase (I intend to hold the car for a long time or trade it if it's not reliable -- so far, no problems).

My wife has now fallen for the F-Type too. 1 week 1,200 mile road-trip proved it to be a comfortable cruiser with room for our stuff. Then my wife took it 350 miles round-trip to Maryland. Driving home at night in the rain she engaged the "rain and snow" mode -- when she got home, she was totally in love with the car: loved the lights, the automatic wipers, the rock-solid handling, the speed and the driver-centered experience. She understands now...

Sounds like you can afford it too -- to quote JLR: "How alive are YOU?"
You have to walk a fine line....you want the wife to approve of the car, but you don't want her to fall madly in love with it and want one herself!

Glad you (and your wife) are enjoying it!

Old 04-26-2016, 12:14 PM

I brought my wife Karen to the dealership so SHE could test-drive a F-Type. I already did my $800 test drive at the Jaguar Performance Driving Academy.
Karen walks in and they have a convertible parked next to a coupe, she says "they are beautiful cars!"
Salesman walks around back and opens the hatch / boot on the convert and says "Karen, come here and look a this." He says "not much trunk space in the convertible."
Karen exclaims "what the hell are you thinking? we couldn't possibly go away for a weekend in the convertible! -- you'll have to buy the coupe!"

So I did...

Old 04-26-2016, 12:16 PM
Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

Smart man!! Nice job in tricking her into the car you wanted. =)

Old 04-26-2016, 05:58 PM
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 084runnerltd
You have to walk a fine line....you want the wife to approve of the car, but you don't want her to fall madly in love with it and want one herself!

Traded in my C5 Vette for a Miata for my wife. Then I needed a car. She loves hers, and doesn't drive mine.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 589 Likes on 402 Posts

That's what the F-Pace is for...

Old 05-25-2016, 09:59 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

If you're a financial advisor then you know you should by a low mileage 2014 for 65k and laugh all the way to the bank. I make much more than you and world not consider buying one new. My boat is used as are both my cars, my 4 wheeler, and my house. You know you want one. Just do it. But do it the right way.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:51 PM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

Some of the dick flapping in this thread is astonishing....

Old 05-26-2016, 09:35 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
Some of the dick flapping in this thread is astonishing....
That's what an F Type is for.LOL

Old 06-01-2016, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by 355spider
That's what an F Type is for.LOL
Agreed, however since I am a car lover I hold nothing against the "dick flapping," as I enjoy looking at their cars. Lol

However, I realize after this post that I have very few "virtual friends" and I will be forced to make friends and boost my ego using the old fashioned way....talking to people without the use of machines.

I fully understand I will not be a forum wizard, with great humility, I accept my future....Godspeed.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:05 AM

Purchasing would not make sense for me, I would have to pay 8.5% sales tax then be tired of it and sell it in 2yrs or so, taking a huge deprecation hit. That sales tax alone pays almost he first year of the lease...

I am typically, anti lease and buy used. However, with my track record of how quickly I go through cars, purchasing new is pointless.

As for "financial wisdom," don't buy new regardless of your cash situation, that would be the smartest...as well don't buy a Jag, prolly a Honda Civic or Camry. This is a f-type forum, there is not a lot of "financial wisdom" in purchasing a f-type
So you have a commitment problem: don't keep cars or friends for very long.

I would think as a financial advisor you would be into long term (client) relationships. I treasure long term friends and relationships and clients. I thing most of us bought the F-Type with our hearts, not our logical brains. We are in love with them.

Look at it as an advertising expense...

Old 06-02-2016, 08:11 AM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

So you have a commitment problem: don't keep cars or friends for very long.

I would think as a financial advisor you would be into long term (client) relationships. I treasure long term friends and relationships and clients. I thing most of us bought the F-Type with our hearts, not our logical brains. We are in love with them.

Look at it as an advertising expense...
Where did you come up with the thing about friends and clients? That seems like quite a leap.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:27 AM

Maybe I'm reading too much of myself into this thread -- I'm a financial adviser too, so when 084runnerltd started the thread I took a personal interest. And the question of affordability did cross my mind (and the wife's): both kids were mid-way through private colleges when I bought my F-Type.

My career path has changed: I used to work with 10-12 clients at a time, now I work with only 1. My key client has been good to me (I've closed 10 deals with them), and I consider some of the people I work with there to be friends, not just "clients." I found it is easier to keep one client happy than constantly going to look for new ones.

I had my last fun car for 31+ years, I'm planning on staying with the F-Type for a long time (although I might change-it-up for a newer MY). I've been serving the same client as a financial adviser since October 2003. I still talk to some high-school and college friends. Different strokes...

Life is good when you can work with your friends for mutual fun and profit.

Life is great when you have an F-Type out on the road...

Old 06-02-2016, 09:29 AM

And we can all be virtual friends -- short term commitment to the mark or long time...doesn't matter. If you're here on the forums you have a passion.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:25 AM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

I had my last fun car for 31+ years, I'm planning on staying with the F-Type for a long time (although I might change-it-up for a newer MY). I've been serving the same client as a financial adviser since October 2003. I still talk to some high-school and college friends. Different strokes...
None of those things have anything to do with one another. I change cars every few years but I've worked at the same company for 10 years (which makes me a DINOSAUR in tech) and still hang out with many of my high school friends.

Old 06-02-2016, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by LobsterClaws
Where did you come up with the thing about friends and clients? That seems like quite a leap.
Good question LobsterClaws, I was thinking the exact same thing...??

Old 06-02-2016, 04:05 PM

And we can all be virtual friends -- short term commitment to the mark or long time...doesn't matter. If you're here on the forums you have a passion.
Exactly, if I didn't have car forums, I would have very few people to talk cars with....my wife quickly grows tired of my "car talk." (Small town in the middle of no where...the car enthusiasts here are mainly domestic truck enthusiasts.)

I can't imagine how much money the forums have saved me over the years in repair bills!

Quick Reply: Income for F-type R...