F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

InControl App question

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2020, 09:50 PM
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts
Default InControl App question

I just bought a 2016 F Type R and having it shipped to me and hopefully arriving some time next week but had a question on InControl. Is it compatible with the 2016 model year and other than remote start and setting the temp is there any other features that warrant the app? I haven't got to the price of it yet but from what I read there is a cost. Is this a worthwhile addition to the car or a novelty?

And I did a search on InControl and didn't see what I was looking or so hence the post. Appreciate any input.

Old 11-10-2020, 05:58 AM
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Whatsnext
I just bought a 2016 F Type R and having it shipped to me and hopefully arriving some time next week but had a question on InControl. Is it compatible with the 2016 model year and other than remote start and setting the temp is there any other features that warrant the app? I haven't got to the price of it yet but from what I read there is a cost. Is this a worthwhile addition to the car or a novelty?

And I did a search on InControl and didn't see what I was looking or so hence the post. Appreciate any input.
It was introduced in 2016 with the refreshed infotainment. I like it. You can also track journeys, see where your car is, see info about next service, make sure it's locked etc. It costs 36gbp per year in the UK. You need to get a dealer to assign the car to you otherwise the p.o. could see all this info.

Old 11-10-2020, 07:53 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently got a 2016 R as well and had similar questions. Is your car still under warranty? If so, the app should be available to you free of charge for the duration for you to test out. Being able to lock/unlock the car without your keys is kind of fun, but the app is largely a novelty in my mind.

Old 11-10-2020, 01:11 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,480 Likes on 1,120 Posts

Originally Posted by adityab
Being able to lock/unlock the car without your keys is kind of fun, but the app is largely a novelty in my mind.
Being able to warm the car up on a chilly morning is a definite plus! ...
And you can also log your journeys, in case you need an alibi ...

Old 11-10-2020, 07:22 PM

Dealer did their end of the work so car should be here late next week but getting dropped off at a shop for Xpel and tint. I will give it a try. Already down loaded the app on the phone as well. Figure the remote start would be something.

Old 11-11-2020, 03:57 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Figure the remote start would be something.
Not as relevant for me but I guess in the right location cooling the cabin before you get in would be, er, cool, too!

Old 11-11-2020, 06:40 AM

Honestly not sure I would use the remote start feature much but will give it a try. I am sure more a novelty and it will wear off quickly. I live in AZ so the summers get 115 degrees plus so maybe I would use it.

Old 11-11-2020, 08:27 AM
scm
Veteran Member

... I live in AZ so the summers get 115 degrees plus so maybe I would use it.
If you've parked in the sun all day I'd recommend it!

Old 11-21-2020, 07:54 AM

Anyone know the cost in the US for this for a year? My car comes out of the detail shop Tuesday and I think I only have a couple weeks left of the mfg warranty. When I signed up it didn't say that I recall but just wanted the billing address.

Old 11-21-2020, 11:57 AM
Received 297 Likes on 165 Posts

It’s £36 in the UK.

Old 11-28-2020, 07:59 AM

Doing a conversion that should be around $50 US I think. Finally got it back from the detail shop so I will have to call Jag and get it hooked up.

Old 11-28-2020, 08:13 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Doing a conversion that should be around $50 US I think. Finally got it back from the detail shop so I will have to call Jag and get it hooked up.
Doing a more cynical conversion it'd be $36 - UK gets ripped-off a lot!

Old 11-28-2020, 09:18 AM
Received 297 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
Doing a more cynical conversion it'd be $36 - UK gets ripped-off a lot!
Yes motoring can be expensive here.
I bought 2 years for £57.60 so a little cheaper per year.

Also in the UK warranty is only for 3 years. Last year’s extended was £769 and the renewal for the next year is £971.

Last edited by malbec; 11-28-2020 at 09:23 AM.
Old 11-28-2020, 10:12 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by malbec
Last year’s extended was £769 and the renewal for the next year is £971.
Yep, paid it a couple of months ago ....

Old 12-01-2020, 08:01 AM
Received 61 Likes on 27 Posts

For what it's worth, your InControl subscription is tied to the car in the US, not the owner. When I got the ownership of mine transferred to me (you can have the InControl support team do that through email from their website, don't have to visit the dealer necessarily), I found the InControl subscription was valid through 2025, even though the warranty expires next year (mine's a '16). Not sure if that means someone pre-paid a big chunk of it, or if Jag just set that as the date.

I don't use it often, but I'd definitely pay yearly to have it. It's nice to be able to check in on it if you can't quite remember for sure if you locked it (and lock it remotely if you didn't), and it puts the current location overlaid on a Google Map so you can find it in parking lots, which is fantastic. You can use it to flash the lights as well to help find it, and the auto-start with climate is a nice feature if it's been sitting in the heat/cold for a while. Another big one for me is if you drop it off at the dealer or a tire shop, you can play Big Brother and see when they're working on it (current status of locks/doors/windows/hood/trunk and top if it's a vert are all displayed), and it'll track their trips with a mapped route, average speed, and MPG so you can see if some kid at the tire shop took it out for a joy ride. Only thing is I wish it logged top speed for a trip...which could be an issue legally for the owner I suppose, but it'd be nice to know if the tire guys are hitting triple digits.

Old 12-01-2020, 09:22 AM
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Clearly a first world issue/question:
Using remote start and climate option is there a setting that would turn on the heated steering wheel and seats? I haven't found anything like that yet. Tried leaving both on before shutting down but that doesn't do it. Hate driving with gloves.
Thanks

Old 12-01-2020, 02:49 PM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lpf4
Only thing is I wish it logged top speed for a trip...
I'm glad it doesn't!

Old 12-01-2020, 05:54 PM
Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

For what it's worth, your InControl subscription is tied to the car in the US, not the owner. When I got the ownership of mine transferred to me (you can have the InControl support team do that through email from their website, don't have to visit the dealer necessarily), I found the InControl subscription was valid through 2025, even though the warranty expires next year (mine's a '16). Not sure if that means someone pre-paid a big chunk of it, or if Jag just set that as the date.

I don't use it often, but I'd definitely pay yearly to have it. It's nice to be able to check in on it if you can't quite remember for sure if you locked it (and lock it remotely if you didn't), and it puts the current location overlaid on a Google Map so you can find it in parking lots, which is fantastic. You can use it to flash the lights as well to help find it, and the auto-start with climate is a nice feature if it's been sitting in the heat/cold for a while. Another big one for me is if you drop it off at the dealer or a tire shop, you can play Big Brother and see when they're working on it (current status of locks/doors/windows/hood/trunk and top if it's a vert are all displayed), and it'll track their trips with a mapped route, average speed, and MPG so you can see if some kid at the tire shop took it out for a joy ride. Only thing is I wish it logged top speed for a trip...which could be an issue legally for the owner I suppose, but it'd be nice to know if the tire guys are hitting triple digits.
Ipf4: Did you buy your car CPO in 2020? When I bought mine CPO in July 2018 the JLR gave me the InControl for 5 years till the date of purchase in July 2023.

Old 12-03-2020, 07:00 AM
Received 61 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by rbsj
Ipf4: Did you buy your car CPO in 2020? When I bought mine CPO in July 2018 the JLR gave me the InControl for 5 years till the date of purchase in July 2023.
Nope, I'm the second owner, and did buy it this year, but didn't buy from JLR directly.

Old 12-07-2020, 07:18 PM
Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Nope, I'm the second owner, and did buy it this year, but didn't buy from JLR directly.
We are the second owner for our Evoque, never paid, but I like it. I wish I had it for my F type. I have a ‘15, InControl app shows up in the infotainment system, but everybody says it started in 2016, so I don’t know. I forget to ask when I go to the dealership.

Quick Reply: InControl App question