F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

InControl App remote starting?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 08:58 AM
Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
Default InControl App remote starting?

I read somewhere that you will be able to start your car remotely in the future through an app. Does this require that your phone is in the car? I don't think so, but am wondering what the mechanism is for starting up the car from your iPhone in your house. Thanks.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:36 AM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Entirely speculative on my part.... I don't know, however the claim I've heard is control of the car 'from anywhere in the world'. This would require a receiver/transmitter of some sort in the car, presumably able to receive data over the cell network. So, either they would have to provide a cell connected recevier/transmitter already built into the car (which would need its own data provider contract), or use a phone connected to the car.

I would guess the latter? In which case you'd need 2 devices, one in the car and one at the remote location, from which to control the car (pc, phone, tablet etc).

However, the ability to remotely power up a device from anywhere in the world has serious security / terrorist implications.

Last edited by mshedden; 02-15-2015 at 09:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DuhCar (02-15-2015)
Old 02-15-2015, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Curious. Based on everything I've been reading, I assumed that feature was already available. It will be for the 2016 model. This technology is no different than the on-star technology and similar systems available for the past 15+ years. No need for a phone left in the car. It's satellite driven, not cell tower. Internet security indeed an issue, but your car is a lesser target than the nuclear power plant next door.

DuhCar (02-15-2015)
Old 02-15-2015, 10:18 AM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

I've not seen anything that suggests a satellite reciever is built in yet.

The security concern is that a stolen car with remote capability could be repurposed...left parked somewhere until the oportune moment.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:42 AM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

OnStar and other telematic services use cellular technology, not satellite, for communication to and from the car with a built-in cellular modem i.e. doesn't use your existing cell-phone. While they usually have a GPS receiver built in, there is no satellite transmitter involved.

Remote start via an app would require new hardware which isn't available in existing cars so it is not something that someone could retrofit. It would be available only in newly built cars.

DuhCar (02-15-2015)
Old 02-15-2015, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by another_geek
OnStar and other telematic services use cellular technology, not satellite, for communication to and from the car with a built-in cellular modem i.e. doesn't use your existing cell-phone. While they usually have a GPS receiver built in, there is no satellite transmitter involved.

Remote start via an app would require new hardware which isn't available in existing cars so it is not something that someone could retrofit. It would be available only in newly built cars.
I thought the on-star system was the same as Mercedes' mbrace. That relies on cell service when available and sat service when not. Unlikely to be retrofitable, but my impression from all the press was that JLR was just waiting for the apps to be developed and the cars were hardware ready.

Old 02-15-2015, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 251 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by mshedden
However, the ability to remotely power up a device from anywhere in the world has serious security / terrorist implications.
#goodtobebad

Old 02-15-2015, 03:46 PM

Mercedes mBrace is a branded offering from Verizon, not OnStar. I have mBrace on my ML and when I'm at my office, which has no verizon signal, I am unable to connect to my car. Ironic since my office is across the street from a Verizon call center.

I doubt that existing cars have the cell hardware in place already. The inControl app option is hardware-based also and is not standard and is not easily retrofitable (nothing is impossible with enough time, money and desire :-).

If you look closely at the press release, you'll note it says for MY15 f-types and newer. Anyone with a MY14 f-type is out of luck. It also doesn't mention remote start for the MY15s, just the availability of a new InControl app - which I am guessing is limited to cars that have the InControl option.

I purchased the InControl option just in case they decided to add new features later, even though the current implementation is useless.

Old 02-15-2015, 03:54 PM

The following is from the November 19, 2014 launch of the MY2016 changes:

Enhancements are not limited to the chassis and driveline technology. The instrument cluster features new dials and gauges. The infotainment system has been upgraded, and the F-TYPE now features InControl Remote™, InControl Protect™ and InControl Apps™3 connectivity and telematics functions. When away from the vehicle, InControl Remote makes it possible to check information such as the fuel level or the door lock status using a smartphone. The driver can also use a smartphone to start the engine, enabling the climate control system to bring the cabin to the desired temperature before the journey begins. InControl Protect sends a signal automatically to a call center based on a supplemental restraint system trigger; an emergency call can also be initiated manually by the vehicle occupants.

Old 02-15-2015, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by DuhCar
The following is from the November 19, 2014 launch of the MY2016 changes:

Enhancements are not limited to the chassis and driveline technology. The instrument cluster features new dials and gauges. The infotainment system has been upgraded, and the F-TYPE now features InControl Remote™, InControl Protect™ and InControl Apps™3 connectivity and telematics functions. When away from the vehicle, InControl Remote makes it possible to check information such as the fuel level or the door lock status using a smartphone. The driver can also use a smartphone to start the engine, enabling the climate control system to bring the cabin to the desired temperature before the journey begins. InControl Protect sends a signal automatically to a call center based on a supplemental restraint system trigger; an emergency call can also be initiated manually by the vehicle occupants.
To me, that says that this is a MY16 feature only. Older cars are out of luck.

Old 02-15-2015, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by another_geek
To me, that says that this is a MY16 feature only. Older cars are out of luck.
Yes, I think so too. Will love the remote starting here in Toronto -- cold in winter and hot in summer.

Old 02-15-2015, 05:05 PM
Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts

I can see the advantage in being able to remotely track and disable a vehicle. I can't see it being a good idea to allow a vehicle to be remotely started, I can see a couple of reasons to do it, but in my view they don't outweigh some of the reasons why it might be a bad idea.

Old 02-15-2015, 05:17 PM
Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Thumbs down

I am disappointed about the InControl app. The Jaguar website leads you to believe that you can remotely monitor your vehicle for doors locked and windows closed. I could care less about remote starting. In fact when you download and install the app, it has a bunch of stupid apps like navigation, audibook, music bullshit.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by AnD3rew
I can see the advantage in being able to remotely track and disable a vehicle. I can't see it being a good idea to allow a vehicle to be remotely started, I can see a couple of reasons to do it, but in my view they don't outweigh some of the reasons why it might be a bad idea.
The 2016 6 speed will not have the remote start feature. (Though I don't know why they couldn't use a neutral detect sensor to allow a remote start). I would be unlikely to use it even if it was available.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by AnD3rew
My car will be a daily driver and yesterday it was -25.5C when I started up my current car. I know it's not a good idea to let a car idle until it's warm, but even a minute or three as you are getting ready before you go out will certainly help decrease the initial discomfort.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:21 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

If you guys are still wondering, the remote start function using the incontrol app works.

I finally got the remote app to work with my android. The remote start didn't work when I first tried it so I contacted Jaguar and they said "F type models don't have the capability yet." I tried again in a few hours and it worked! You unlock the door regularly and once you're in, tap the breaks and the car "wakes up."

Old 09-18-2015, 05:25 AM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RawwR
I am disappointed about the InControl app. The Jaguar website leads you to believe that you can remotely monitor your vehicle for doors locked and windows closed. I could care less about remote starting. In fact when you download and install the app, it has a bunch of stupid apps like navigation, audibook, music bullshit.
so there are actually two incontrol apps in the apps store. the one that you mistakenly downloaded is incontrol apps which lets you download apps on your phone and then use them via your infotainment system. the app you want is incontrol remote. that is the one that lets you remote start your car, lock/unlock it, etc.
enjoy!

Buckingham (09-18-2015)
Old 09-18-2015, 01:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by diablomkii
so there are actually two incontrol apps in the apps store. the one that you mistakenly downloaded is incontrol apps which lets you download apps on your phone and then use them via your infotainment system. the app you want is incontrol remote. that is the one that lets you remote start your car, lock/unlock it, etc.
enjoy!
Cant find a Jaguar InControl Remote.
Did you use the Land Rover InControl Remote

NEVER MIND: Found it.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts
Default Trying to open account but Remote App won't send me back email for password set up.

Tried three times. Whats the secret?

Old 06-09-2016, 07:34 AM
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

One thing I have to say about Palm Beach Jaguar, they downloaded all the Jaguar apps, including inControl, set up the accounts, and made sure I knew how to use them before they let me go .

Quick Reply: InControl App remote starting?