Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

InControl App remote starting?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by MalibuFtype
InControl remote can unlock your door using the phone app so you won't have to break your windows.
Ummm...you can also use your key fob to get in.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Ummm...you can also use your key fob to get in.
If you haven't ruined the fod by accidentally soaking it in salt water, or if it hasn't been eaten by seal. The same goes for the iPhone. That's why I think the activity key is a neat idea. You can't stash your F-type fod in a wheel well like a normal key so the activity key is necessary.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteTardis
For those of you with Apple Watches, you can also start/access the car from the Apple Watch as well.

Unfortunately for surfers, the Apple Watch is not water proof and it needs the iPhone for the functionality (right?). If the Jaguar InControl remote could disable the fob when the latter (and the iPhone) is stored in the car, and the Apple Watch was waterproof (it can survive a 1 mile swim in a pool), it could be an alternative to the Jaguar activity key.

Last edited by MalibuFtype; 08-19-2016 at 01:40 PM.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:40 PM
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

There are after market starting systems viper makes Smart Start, and some Mercedes dealers can retrofit the MB key to autostart. I bet you could do the same thing with the key for the Jag. I am already looking into this for my Range Rover, which looks to be the same key.

Old 08-19-2016, 01:36 PM

The viper uses a phone to replace the key. That's not much of an improvement if you want to go into the water. Loosing your phone in the ocean is much worse than your car fob. I guess putting the Viper system in won't enable your car doors to touch open so you can hide the phone under the car (not something I want to do). There is a Korean product that looks like the jaguar activity key (smart pass keyfree RF). It uses a RFID bracelet like the Jaguar activity key, but it would not inactivate the car's key fob, so the problem of hiding the fob far enough away from the car to disable the touch open on the car remains. Taking your F-type to the beach to go swimming forces you to act like a pirate hiding his treasure in the sand (maybe that's what those guys with metal detectors at the beach are looking for Jaguar key fobs to they can steal the car).

I called my local dealership and they said the activity key is only factory installed. So unless the Viper eliminates the need for the current key fob, allows you to get in and drive the car without fussing with the app, and knows to tell the difference between the iPhone and iwatch, this also does not solve the pirate treasure problem. I guess this kitty doesn't like going to the sand box.

Last edited by MalibuFtype; 08-19-2016 at 02:15 PM.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Check out this long winded solution: Remove the battery and e-key from the fob. Leave the fob and battery in the car (hide it if you want), lock the car with the e-key (or have a real key made), and hang that around whatever you hang an activity key around.

The following users liked this post:
BigCat09 (01-06-2017)
Old 08-21-2016, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Check out this long winded solution: Remove the battery and e-key from the fob. Leave the fob and battery in the car (hide it if you want), lock the car with the e-key (or have a real key made), and hang that around whatever you hang an activity key around.
A good way to prematurely wear out my fob. I'll use another car or stick to my local beach instead.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:06 AM

I found a possible solution for surfers and ocean swimmers. The FobGuard?: Ideal Faraday Cage to Protect Car Keyless Entry Fobs to store the fob in the car and Vision America (Vision Tech America, Inc. ? Backup Camera and Monitor // Back Up Camera ) sells the Keyfree touch system (KEYFREE TOUCH ) in he US. You can also get Keyfree tough gen 1 from Amazon for $78. I'll get the fob guard ($30 Faraday bag for a key fob) and test it out. Note, in the thread key stolen from fob, I posted a like to wired magazine on how car thieves use a signal boost to extend the range of the fod so they can steal your stuff in the car...a keyless car may not be ideal for going to the beach unless you want to hide your treasure 200 yards from your car...I don't want to get sand under my finger nails...plus there's the metal detector guys to worry about.

Old 08-26-2016, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteTardis
For those of you with Apple Watches, you can also start/access the car from the Apple Watch as well.

I just took a 50 min swim with the Apple Watch with no problem and loaded the InControl remote on the watch. I also got the FobGuard and it does mask a keyless entry fob effectively so this combination is a great solution for swimmers and surfers. Thank you WhiteTardis!

Old 08-26-2016, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Smartphones are notoriously insecure, especially if you don't have the latest and greatest that is still being patched/maintained. If you rely on InControl, you might as well hide the key on the wheel, because it is all the same kind of security by obscurity.

Old 08-26-2016, 11:00 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,109 Likes on 1,408 Posts

Doesn't the Apple Watch communicate via an iPhone? Do you leave the iPhone in the car, so the Watch will work in the vicinity of the car?

Old 08-26-2016, 01:29 PM

Yes, that's the down side. It's not ideal at a highly frequented beach. The alternative is installing a BOYO Keyfree touch (then you can leave your phone at home and keep you Apple Watch dry).

Old 09-01-2016, 11:13 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

FYI: If you're on Android, do not update your OS to the new 7.0 (Nougat) unless you don't mind losing the InControl app. Jag has not yet updated it, as it's apparently crashing for most if not all users. I just received the update and the app does not like it. I contacted Jag and they're aware of it. They asked for my phone's make/model and they're supposedly addressing this issue.

Mbourne (09-01-2016)
Old 01-06-2017, 08:48 AM
Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts
Default lol

Has anyone looked at the demo version on android, they have set up a fictional "Mike's F type"

and Mike has 3/4 of a tank of fuel left and it says his range is 510miles, I'm guessing Mike only drives down hill, in strong tailwinds, with the engine off

Burt Gummer (01-06-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by dave_Sw1
Has anyone looked at the demo version on android, they have set up a fictional "Mike's F type"

and Mike has 3/4 of a tank of fuel left and it says his range is 510miles, I'm guessing Mike only drives down hill, in strong tailwinds, with the engine off
I think Mike has the demoversion of the coming F-type diesel

Old 01-06-2017, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

My app on my iPhone and watch have not worked since 12/23/16. IT is very unreliable and always says it is in sleep mode no matter how I try to trick it or wake it up.

How can we maybe get a group buy or find the activity band cheaper as I am interested in it? Can we start a thread o the band or post our findings on a buy for these here?

Old 01-06-2017, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

I found this so far, the small print still makes it expensive Think. I assume the install kit is the antenna that needs to be placed inside the car for the band to read the code?: https://jaguarsacramento.niello.com/...&page_number=7

F-Pace Activity Key - Wristband - T4A11596 - Genuine Jaguar at www.rimmerbros.co.uk

Activity Key - Polsband

Old 01-09-2017, 08:49 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I tried the remote start this morning from my iPhone and it worked well. It took a little time thought.

Old 01-31-2019, 05:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default App seemed to have just changed.

Have been using In Control app to remote start my F-Type for several years, with moderate success. Failure to connect has been the main problem. However, recently (like within the past week?) I get a message about "sleep mode" and it says I have to drive the car to wake it up. I just drove if <8 hours prior. I've set the "wake up date" on the app now, but have never seen this before. Anyone else seen this problem? I had the wake up mode switched off, it turns out (had never looked at that setting before, as I didn't seem to need it); if I turn it back off, will that eliminate the "sleeping sickness"?

Old 02-01-2019, 05:55 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,466 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Yeah, I've experienced this, although not when I've recently driven the car. The app says the remote module shuts down after 4 days idle, but mine seems to do it after only 2. I've never used the wake up date option, preferring to wake the car up by driving it, no hardship really!

Quick Reply: InControl App remote starting?