F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

InControl Apps, so close yet so far

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 05:46 PM
Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
Default InControl Apps, so close yet so far

I have a 2015 R coupe with InControl Apps. I've been really trying to use it except that it's almost useless in its current version. I have an iPhone 6 Plus.

I stream music so Spotify does not work in the InControl environment. Now that Apple Music is released, if you download to play songs offline, it will show up in the InControl environment. So limited.

The calendar and contacts system isn't bad, but not enough use comes out of it.

Question: can you pick an address on contacts in the InControl environment and then have Sygic be the default GPS? Before I spend on Sygic, I want to make sure.

This system will still be relatively worthless until and unless JustDrive comes out, which I heard from a Jaguar rep will not be until mid-2016. Annoying.

They really had no business charging for this half-baked system until it was ready for prime time.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:15 PM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

I don't use the inControl apps stuff as I agree it is pretty lame. I just use Waze and the iPhone apps to stream music when I want to do that. Though most of the time I listen to satellite radio.

At this point all luxury vehicles should be using Apple CarPlay or Android Auto as their choice in optional phone integration services. Will probably be a few more years before that happens across all manufacturers though.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:11 AM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I noticed on JustDrive's website that they plan to release the App in "Summer 2015" which seems very unlikely at this point despite the press they and Jaguar got in 2014. Let's keep our fingers crossed on that.

It's too bad Waze can't be used in the InControl App. That itself would make it worthwhile! I haven't tried Sygic, but $80 without traffic just doesn't seem like a good choice. Does anyone actually use and like Sygic?

Old 07-20-2015, 10:44 AM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by XFactoR
I have a 2015 R coupe with InControl Apps. I've been really trying to use it except that it's almost useless in its current version. I have an iPhone 6 Plus.

I stream music so Spotify does not work in the InControl environment. Now that Apple Music is released, if you download to play songs offline, it will show up in the InControl environment. So limited.

The calendar and contacts system isn't bad, but not enough use comes out of it.

Question: can you pick an address on contacts in the InControl environment and then have Sygic be the default GPS? Before I spend on Sygic, I want to make sure.

This system will still be relatively worthless until and unless JustDrive comes out, which I heard from a Jaguar rep will not be until mid-2016. Annoying.

They really had no business charging for this half-baked system until it was ready for prime time.
In my opinion the Just Drive if it ever comes out is unlikely to be backward compatible with the 2015 model. And it may not even be compatible with the 2016. It will probably be designed for the new NAV being fitted to the XF and XE.

We have basically been ripped off. In Control Apps is a sham. They haven't added any new apps in the past year. By contrast BMW adds apps all the time and supports all the major music platforms.

BMWs list of Apps has several quality streaming services, and other useful apps
Spotify
Deezer
Rhapsody
Amazon Music
Pandora
Go Pro
Audible
m Lap Timer
tune in radio
Enlighten
glimpse
Stitcher
Life360
IHeart Radio
Calendar
Eco Pro Analyzer
WEB radio
Wiki Local
Twitter
Facebook
News

And instead we get a bunch of useless obscure apps from no name brands.

Why can't they add all the major music services starting with Spotify, and then add Waze, Yelp, Go Pro, and some sort of lap timer app.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:01 AM
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

in control is useless- as useless as the nav screen- i venture little beyond the radio function of this car. Waze and pandora are much better than nav and satellite (which i will not renew). I suspect this In control system is made by lucas and should be called "out of control" glad i didnt pay- directly- im sure i paid indirectly for nav

Old 07-20-2015, 11:26 AM
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Still waiting on JustDrive which will be the only saving grace of InControl. It still hasn't shipped yet so I'm not holding my breath. justDrive

I just wish Jaguar would implement Car Play like they promised and get rid of this Bosch InControl crap apps platform that they have.