F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

InControl Class Action Lawsuit

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2024, 09:29 AM
Received 145 Likes on 108 Posts
Exclamation InControl Class Action Lawsuit

I received a notice in the mail today of a class action lawsuit against JLR North America. Basically the lawsuit was brought because plaintiffs believed their InControl Touch Pro or InControl Touch Pro Duo Infotainment Systems were defective. The defect being that they were unable to receive over the air software updates.

Many JLR models are impacted. The impacted F-Types are model years 2017-2020. The benefits from the settlement are that those vehicles that are unable to receive over the air updates will receive a free retrofit/upgrade to allow them to receive over the air updates. There will be a new one year warranty on InControl for a period of one year after the retrofit/upgrade is performed.

You may exclude yourself from the lawsuit if you wish. The court will hold a final approval hearing on October 10. 2024 to decide whether to approve the settlement.

More details can be found at:

www.GeorgeVJLRNAInfotainmentSettlement.com

The following 2 users liked this post by cpq100:
Supersprint Sport Exhausts (06-24-2024), Valerie Stabenow (06-25-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 09:35 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,449 Likes on 1,098 Posts

My MY18 received a SOTA update (just one - I'm not sure many are released).

Old 06-24-2024, 10:07 AM

I received a SOTA as well on my 2018 R-Dynamic so it did work at one point.

Old 06-24-2024, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 400 Posts

Pretty useless class action - as many are. Certainly, the ICTP system wasn't ready for prime time when it was released, and anyone who bought a car/system in the early days went through years of glitches and likely several trips to the dealer for multiple patches (and, sometimes patches to the patches). No compensation. CarPlay and SOTA were advertised, but weren't initially ready. Dealers initially CHARGED to activate CarPlay - later given out for free. No refund. Add to that, the initial ICTP systems were locked into 3G that had already be announced for sunset. Now useless. There's nothing of value in the settlement. If you're just back from another planet, you can now get SOTA capability for a system that JLR moved away from years ago and that hasn't been updated for a year and a half.

The following users liked this post:
Old 06-24-2024, 08:40 PM
Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

I got my notice today. According to the settlement terms & conditions, the agreement could be finalized in October 2024 but that appeals and typical legal jerking off could hold up the actual distribution of the updates as far off as 3-4 years from now. The class-action lawyers have worked on this for 3 years with no compensation and are only getting $675K for their time when its all done. A nothing burger.

Old 06-24-2024, 09:12 PM
Received 250 Likes on 194 Posts

Imagine being so butthurt about having to download an update and put it on a USB stick that you'd file a lawsuit 🤦🤦

The following users liked this post:
Badgerman (06-25-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 09:13 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,879 Likes on 3,187 Posts

Call me "being dumb" here, but how would I know that I have received a SOTA update? I have owned my 2016 XJ (yes, I know, not an F-Type) for just over a year and can never recall anything like that being stated on my radio screen. Or, is this something you have to go into the settings and say "send it to me". But, like others said, are we even going to get a SOTA update now that 3G is dead. What are they going to do, upgrade the radio to 4G? That is the only way I see that working. Or am I missing a bigger picture thing here?

Old 06-25-2024, 03:47 AM
scm
Veteran Member

On the F-Type you can go to software updates to see if there's anything pending (there never is). However, when an update is available you get a popup telling you what to do - that seems entirely unsolicited. My SOTA update was for the infotainment system.

Old 06-25-2024, 06:25 AM
Received 422 Likes on 172 Posts

A bit off topic here, but my Jaguar Remote app hasn't worked for several weeks. I've uninstalled and reinstalled it several times to no avail and am contemplating calling either the dealer or Jaguar USA for an explanation. My mobile signal is sufficiently strong to preclude that from being the problem.
Has anyone else had a problem?

Old 06-25-2024, 09:34 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, mine hasn't been updated since 2019 (it was first sold that year). Before my warranty ran out, I took it in and asked them to please, please update it. They had it a full week, and they returned it having done nothing. I asked why, they said it takes over 3 hours and things could go wrong. Like....what did they do with it for a week?

I just walked out and drove off. There is no option to do it myself, so I would love to see resolution. Not really sure if I'm missing much bc i use Android Auto for everything, but I just prefer to have it up to date.

Old 06-25-2024, 09:50 AM
scm
Veteran Member

My app has been rather unreliable for the past few weeks, sometimes refusing to show journeys, or if it shows them it won't expand to show the actual route, or not giving me the remote PIN input page. However, a new version (2.18.6) was available today and it seems to be working better so far.

Old 06-25-2024, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by blthomas
Well, mine hasn't been updated since 2019 (it was first sold that year). Before my warranty ran out, I took it in and asked them to please, please update it. They had it a full week, and they returned it having done nothing. I asked why, they said it takes over 3 hours and things could go wrong. Like....what did they do with it for a week?

I just walked out and drove off. There is no option to do it myself, so I would love to see resolution. Not really sure if I'm missing much bc i use Android Auto for everything, but I just prefer to have it up to date.
A complete InControl install does take 3-4 hours to do. The voice guidance on my navigation was not working. The fix was to reinstall InControl. The first try failed at the very end with no error messages. They had to do it again and keep the car overnight as a result.

Old 06-25-2024, 03:32 PM
Received 434 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by SassySarah
A bit off topic here, but my Jaguar Remote app hasn't worked for several weeks. I've uninstalled and reinstalled it several times to no avail and am contemplating calling either the dealer or Jaguar USA for an explanation. My mobile signal is sufficiently strong to preclude that from being the problem.
Has anyone else had a problem?
My remote app is working fine, both for vehicle status and remote functions (I have the same version as scm--2.18.6). I can also send destinations to the navigation system from my phone. If you've already tried deleting and reinstalling the app, make sure your vehicle is properly showing in the InControl portal online (https://incontrol.jaguar.com/jaguar-...-web/dashboard). This is much easier to view on a PC than a phone or tablet. Once you log in if you click on Vehicle Settings you'll see your vehicle(s) that is registered with your account listed. If you click on Remote, your vehicle will be listed on the right and it will show you the status of your connected subscriptions. It should show three, plus the data plan. Make sure it shows an active remote subscription:

Old 06-25-2024, 05:21 PM
Received 298 Likes on 194 Posts
Default HOw do you know?

On the Monroney reprint of my MY2017 sticker, is INCONTROL SECURE TRACKER SYSTEM. Not sure if this is the system in question. Any other way to tell if the car is equipped with IC? I bought it in 2020.

I have not received a letter....would that only be sent to original owners?

Old 06-26-2024, 05:50 AM

Your car definitely has it. Basically it is the software that runs all the functions in the center screen. It also works with the Jaguar app for remote functions. An overview is at the link below. The system was introduced in 2014.

https://www.jaguarusa.com/incontrol/...rol/index.html

Old 06-26-2024, 06:56 AM
Received 422 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Thunder Dump
My remote app is working fine, both for vehicle status and remote functions (I have the same version as scm--2.18.6). I can also send destinations to the navigation system from my phone. If you've already tried deleting and reinstalling the app, make sure your vehicle is properly showing in the InControl portal online (https://incontrol.jaguar.com/jaguar-...-web/dashboard). This is much easier to view on a PC than a phone or tablet. Once you log in if you click on Vehicle Settings you'll see your vehicle(s) that is registered with your account listed. If you click on Remote, your vehicle will be listed on the right and it will show you the status of your connected subscriptions. It should show three, plus the data plan. Make sure it shows an active remote subscription:

Thank you for this Thunderdump.
My vehicle is indeed listed just as you wrote and my latest journey is shown on the website, but the app on my android still does not work. I uninstalled and reinstalled the app this morning, but when I attempt to open it the screen goes blank and them a few minutes or seconds later I get the message "Remote keeps stopping".
Any other suggestions before I call dealer service or Jaguar USA? And yes the version installed is 2.18.6
None of my other apps are misbehaving.

Old 06-26-2024, 11:41 AM
Received 434 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by SassySarah
Thank you for this Thunderdump.
My vehicle is indeed listed just as you wrote and my latest journey is shown on the website, but the app on my android still does not work. I uninstalled and reinstalled the app this morning, but when I attempt to open it the screen goes blank and them a few minutes or seconds later I get the message "Remote keeps stopping".
Any other suggestions before I call dealer service or Jaguar USA? And yes the version installed is 2.18.6
None of my other apps are misbehaving.
Can you log into the Jaguar InControl website on a PC and send a destination to the car? I would check that first to confirm the vehicle has Internet connectivity and still works with InControl. If that works, and we know your account looks good, I'm suspicious of the Android version of the app (I use the iOS app). Perhaps the latest update broke something on Android, or the latest Android OS update broke the app.

Old 06-26-2024, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by cpq100
Your car definitely has it. Basically it is the software that runs all the functions in the center screen. It also works with the Jaguar app for remote functions. An overview is at the link below. The system was introduced in 2014.

https://www.jaguarusa.com/incontrol/...rol/index.html
OK, so I had seen that overview link before and read it, but didn't help me much. I got on to an InControl log in page and it didn't have any record of me (a while back I had been on that page, didn't remember if I signed up or not). So I went to 'register'. It found my car, but said I wasn't the owner of record and to contact my retailer or the Customer Relation center. Sent CRC a contact email to see if they can help. My dealer is great, just a bit far, so will also contact my service advisor to see what he can do, or not.

I'm hoping that if I can get on as owner of record that I will get one of the Incontrol update letters.

Old 06-27-2024, 03:35 PM
Default update on InControl

Actually got an email response from Jaguar and a number to call. Connected with good person who was able to sort out my account. I was registered as the owner of record, but used the wrong tel. # for log in. All fixed. She then attempted to contact my car, and was unable to do that (and maybe that was because it was in the garage). I explained that I was trying to get it going in light of this Class action suit and that I hadn't received a letter. She said she had never heard of that! She gave me the process to attempt updates for the infotainment and the telematics and if that didn't work I'd have to get the dealer to do it. I repeated that I understood this was part of this legal action and so we just ended there on a good note.
I was wondering if one of you who received the update letter would share a copy with me via PM? I could then also share my email, if you would be comfortable doing that. Please do remove any personal info, all I need is the letter that I can show the dealer. My JLR tech is a good guy and would go out of his way (within reason) to help.
Thank you...!

Old 06-27-2024, 03:53 PM

The entire letter (and a bit more) is on the website listed in my first post in this thread. Click on that link then go to Important Documents and then Long Form Notice.

Quick Reply: InControl Class Action Lawsuit