F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Incontrol Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2021, 09:30 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Incontrol Questions

I've seen this being mentioned and was wondering if all F-Types have Incontrol? I bought mine used and was never told anything about it by the dealer. Is it a monthly subscription service? I found the Jaguar Incontrol website, but the information surrounding the program is pretty lacking.

I found some posts were people mentioned needing a SIM card, which makes me think there is a monthly charge for the service?

Old 07-08-2021, 12:17 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 1,122 Posts

I think you need the right hardware, which will have a Jaguar SIM in it to support the InControl functions. In the UK the initial subscription (which comes with the car) lasts 3 years and can then be extended for one or two years at a time thereafter. The user SIM is used for additional services like online traffic and navigation stuff, and costs whatever your service provider charges.

Old 07-08-2021, 01:25 PM
Received 297 Likes on 165 Posts

Take it to the dealer and see if they can activate it.
It could be that the previous owner still has it and is watching you 😀

Old 07-08-2021, 01:35 PM
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

I just went through this with a 2016 I got from a non-Jaguar dealer. In the US, the SIM is evidently embedded in the car, I believe it is linked to AT&T.
I created an account no problem, but wasn't able to link the VIN, because it was still linked to the PO. A visit to the dealer fixed that, and I was able to complete the activation, no problem.
Once activated, it showed that I was subscribed to the InControl Remote service, with an expiration in 2025. I have no idea where that came from - maybe the PO had paid for an extended service and it transferred over. I now can see my car's location, although it appears that it drove through the garage and is parked in the back yard.
My advise it to go ahead and create an account and see what happens.

Old 07-08-2021, 07:40 PM
Received 141 Likes on 78 Posts

I went to a dealer and got a long story about how complicated (extensive reprogramming of the car and the profile, etc), timely (several hours) and costly ($200+) it is to connect incontrol but after posting my question on this forum, I was told to call Jaguar Customer Service. Got it set up over the phone in about 30 minutes. I think it took longer than normal because I live in a rural area with horrible coverage. I had it for 6 months for free and then got a bill for I think about $100 for 1 or 2 years, can't remember.

If you have an Apple Watch, you'll have an incontrol app on there as well. If you have an AT, you can remote start your car from your iPhone or Apple Watch.

Old 07-08-2021, 10:03 PM
Received 101 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by malbec
Take it to the dealer and see if they can activate it.
It could be that the previous owner still has it and is watching you 😀
I'm thinking it's MI-6 since the car is in the US, you just never know with you sneaky Brits

Old 07-09-2021, 08:28 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

I was able to download the InControl app on my Android phone and link it up with my new 2021 F Type. It's kind of a cool feature to be able to check the locked status of the car and lock it by remote and also see its location. I haven't used the remote start feature other than to verify that it works. I don't use the My Journeys feature that keeps track of everywhere that you have travelled. I figure that I'm already being tracked enough. If I get a bill to renew the service though, I may not think it is worth spending money on.

I also downloaded the Jaguar Route Planner app, but can't complete the link up because it requires the car's navigation system to be able to connect to the internet to create an account, and I have not been able to get a connection. Supposedly one of the features is that once you put in your destination, not only will the navigation system get you there but after you exit the vehicle your phone will then take over and guide you further. I guess that may be handy if you have to walk a few blocks from the parking location to a theater or sports arena or something like that.
But then again, in my 50 years of driving I have always managed to get where I was going and make it back home again too, without the aid of any of these gadgets.

Old 07-12-2021, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 441 Likes on 389 Posts

It should last as long as your warranty. 4 years for my 2017. Annual renewal in the US is $69. Doesn't need a data plan - uses an in built sim.