F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Independent Jag service Sydney AUS

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2019, 10:33 PM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Independent Jag service Sydney AUS

Anyone on the Sydney side have a recommended place to service their ftypes besides the dealership?
Im running a 2014 R so im thinking ill get stung by dealership.

Already looked into Paradise Garage. Any others?

Cheers

Old 10-09-2019, 11:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

If anyone in Sydney would know it would be Cambo.
But he may prefer to advise via pm.
As for a basic service which is nothing more than an engine oil and filter change it's a piece of cake DIY which costs peanuts.
Hundreds if not thousands of posts and threads around here on "best/correct oil for my AJ133SC" and "best oil filter" (hint - dozens of perfectly good ones).
The only other thing which (in theory, I have my doubts!) needs regular replacement is the cabin/pollen filter, again a ridiculously easy DIY (like 30 seconds!).
That said, on a 2014 R that you have just bought I would get a few other things checked out and possibly serviced/renewed/replaced - such things as the coolant, the battery, the brake fluid, the tyres, the brake rotors and pads, the air filters, and the little coolant tubes across the top front of the engine - so a full health check by a good indy mechanic is a really good idea.

Old 10-09-2019, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
If anyone in Sydney would know it would be Cambo.
But he may prefer to advise via pm.
As for a basic service which is nothing more than an engine oil and filter change it's a piece of cake DIY which costs peanuts.
Hundreds if not thousands of posts and threads around here on "best/correct oil for my AJ133SC" and "best oil filter" (hint - dozens of perfectly good ones).
The only other thing which (in theory, I have my doubts!) needs regular replacement is the cabin/pollen filter, again a ridiculously easy DIY (like 30 seconds!).
That said, on a 2014 R that you have just bought I would get a few other things checked out and possibly serviced/renewed/replaced - such things as the coolant, the battery, the brake fluid, the tyres, the brake rotors and pads, the air filters, and the little coolant tubes across the top front of the engine - so a full health check by a good indy mechanic is a really good idea.
Agreed! Was going to do basic service myself until i realised the previous guy hasnt really serviced it since the first service...
Currently at 17,500 kms.
Ill add brake fluid to that list too! Thanks for the reminders 😁
Ill PM @Cambo

Old 10-10-2019, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonz
Agreed! Was going to do basic service myself until i realised the previous guy hasnt really serviced it since the first service...
Currently at 17,500 kms.
Ill add brake fluid to that list too! Thanks for the reminders 😁
Ill PM @Cambo
When and at what kms was the last service done?

Old 10-10-2019, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
When and at what kms was the last service done?
Ill be calling JLR again today to hear when the first was done. But im under the impression that it could just be like a return 1k service or something. JLR were supposed to get back to me.
Topix system doesnt show its service history unfortunately.

Old 10-10-2019, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member

Ill be calling JLR again today to hear when the first was done. But im under the impression that it could just be like a return 1k service or something. JLR were supposed to get back to me.
Topix system doesnt show its service history unfortunately.
Yep, the tOPIX service history here in Oz is crap, it rarely if ever shows the full service history, I suspect it is because dealerships often "forget" to log into tOPIX and input the details.
I also discovered that if a service is done by anyone other than a JLR dealership they cannot input the details into tOPIX even if they are an accredited Jag mechanic!
In the UK (and I think North America) they don't have this restriction, seems it's only good ol' Oz where JLR is so ****.
Go back to whoever you bought the car from and politely ask for written proof/evidence of all service and warranty work done on the car, they should be able to get it for you. No good asking JLR they will just fob you off with "if it ain't in tOPIX we can't get it for you".

Old 10-10-2019, 08:15 PM

Yep, the tOPIX service history here in Oz is crap, it rarely if ever shows the full service history, I suspect it is because dealerships often "forget" to log into tOPIX and input the details.
I also discovered that if a service is done by anyone other than a JLR dealership they cannot input the details into tOPIX even if they are an accredited Jag mechanic!
In the UK (and I think North America) they don't have this restriction, seems it's only good ol' Oz where JLR is so ****.
Go back to whoever you bought the car from and politely ask for written proof/evidence of all service and warranty work done on the car, they should be able to get it for you. No good asking JLR they will just fob you off with "if it ain't in tOPIX we can't get it for you".
Agreed...my experience with JLR in Sydney so far has been nothing short of sh#t.
Landtek, a contact i received from @Cambo just checked the online service history for me. Unfortunately the car is not 100% up to date.
Whats everyones opinion on going genuine parts over aftermarket parts for service?

Last edited by Bonz; 10-10-2019 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Mistake
Old 10-10-2019, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member

Agreed...my experience with JLR in Sydney so far has been nothing short of sh#t.
Jamie of Landtek, a contact i received from @Cambo just checked the online service history for me. Unfortunately the guy is not 100% up to date.
Whats everyones opinion on going genuine parts over aftermarket parts for service?
It depends on what parts you are talking about.
JLR don't make any of the service parts themselves they are all bought in from external suppliers, just made to JLR spec.
Which means that for most parts you can get aftermarket ones that are just as good (in some cases better) as the Jag branded ones for much less $.
Oil - thousands of threads and millions of posts (I exaggerate only a tad!) about "best/correct oil for my Jag" and "best/correct oil filter", read through a few of them and make up your own mind.
I won't spark up another never-ending debate about the oil so I'll keep my views to myself on that, but the oil filter is generic and there are dozens of different brands to choose from most of which are as good if not better than the OEM filter for a fraction of the price. I just go to the Rock Auto website or Fleabay and get whichever one is going cheapest at the time from among the quality brands such as Wix, Mann, Mahle and AC Delco.
Air filters - again heaps of aftermarket to choose from but OEM are often just as cheap anyway. The air filters are a PITA to change so I chose NOT to change them to oil/mesh filters like BRM or K&N and just went with OEM paper filters.
Coolant - must be the correct type, I have found that any of the long life pink/red/orange ones are perfectly OK and it doesn't have to be the special JLR brew.
Brake fluid - must be the correct JLR spec, check the Owner Handbook. That said I have used Nulon Super Dot 4 with zero problems.
Same with the PAS fluid.
Cabin/pollen filter - several aftermarket brands just as good as and waaay cheaper than OEM.
Brake pads and rotors - a bit like the oil debate, thousands of different posts and opinions, but IMHO you should junk the horribly dusty OEM pads and get aftermarket low dust pads like EBC ceramics (redstuffs or yellowstuffs) or Porterfield R4S (carbon/kevlar composite). Rotors - from my experience the aftermarket ones are just as good as OEM for a fraction of the cost. Also be aware that the 380 mm front and 376 mm rear rotors on your R are exactly the same rotors as those on the XFR, XJR and XKR so no need to pay an "F-Type tax", just get XFR ones instead.
For almost everything else more complex or more a repair than a service item it's pretty much OEM or nothing, and be prepared to be bent over on price!
Never buy from a dealership if you can avoid it, plenty of sellers of OEM parts out there such as Rock Auto (US), BritCar and Rimmer Bros (both UK) that even with the shipping cost will be waaaaay less than you will pay at a dealership.

Edit - forgot to add - the AJ133SC engine in the F-Type R is very fussy about oil level, quality and spec so many owners (me included) believe it is good practice to change the oil and filter twice as of often as recommended by JLR.
The recommended interval is 12 months or 16,000 miles / 26,000 km whichever comes first.
Not many F-Type owners do 26,000 km plus per annum so you should change the oil and filter every six months, I have done this from day one on both my XFR and F-Type and never had an engine problem. It's cheap insurance against a massively expensive blown engine (think $40,000 minimum to replace or repair!)
I also recommend you put a good oil additive in each time and definitely add a good fuel system/injector cleaner to the fuel at the same time.
I use the BG products - MOA for the oil and 44K for the fuel - from my research they are the best.
The AJ133 (and AJ126) is Direct Injection and this can cause a build up of carbon and gunk on the backs of the inlet valves and on the inlet tracts, and especially burnt on carbon deposits on the tips of the fuel injectors.
No fuel additive is going to help with the build up on the valves and inlet tracts as Direct Injection means the fuel completely bypasses those spots, but clogged/stuck injectors is fairly common on older AJ133 engines and the BG 44K really helps to fix and prevent this issue.

Last edited by OzXFR; 10-10-2019 at 09:18 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:03 AM

It depends on what parts you are talking about.
JLR don't make any of the service parts themselves they are all bought in from external suppliers, just made to JLR spec.
Which means that for most parts you can get aftermarket ones that are just as good (in some cases better) as the Jag branded ones for much less $.
Oil - thousands of threads and millions of posts (I exaggerate only a tad!) about "best/correct oil for my Jag" and "best/correct oil filter", read through a few of them and make up your own mind.
I won't spark up another never-ending debate about the oil so I'll keep my views to myself on that, but the oil filter is generic and there are dozens of different brands to choose from most of which are as good if not better than the OEM filter for a fraction of the price. I just go to the Rock Auto website or Fleabay and get whichever one is going cheapest at the time from among the quality brands such as Wix, Mann, Mahle and AC Delco.
Air filters - again heaps of aftermarket to choose from but OEM are often just as cheap anyway. The air filters are a PITA to change so I chose NOT to change them to oil/mesh filters like BRM or K&N and just went with OEM paper filters.
Coolant - must be the correct type, I have found that any of the long life pink/red/orange ones are perfectly OK and it doesn't have to be the special JLR brew.
Brake fluid - must be the correct JLR spec, check the Owner Handbook. That said I have used Nulon Super Dot 4 with zero problems.
Same with the PAS fluid.
Cabin/pollen filter - several aftermarket brands just as good as and waaay cheaper than OEM.
Brake pads and rotors - a bit like the oil debate, thousands of different posts and opinions, but IMHO you should junk the horribly dusty OEM pads and get aftermarket low dust pads like EBC ceramics (redstuffs or yellowstuffs) or Porterfield R4S (carbon/kevlar composite). Rotors - from my experience the aftermarket ones are just as good as OEM for a fraction of the cost. Also be aware that the 380 mm front and 376 mm rear rotors on your R are exactly the same rotors as those on the XFR, XJR and XKR so no need to pay an "F-Type tax", just get XFR ones instead.
For almost everything else more complex or more a repair than a service item it's pretty much OEM or nothing, and be prepared to be bent over on price!
Never buy from a dealership if you can avoid it, plenty of sellers of OEM parts out there such as Rock Auto (US), BritCar and Rimmer Bros (both UK) that even with the shipping cost will be waaaaay less than you will pay at a dealership.

Edit - forgot to add - the AJ133SC engine in the F-Type R is very fussy about oil level, quality and spec so many owners (me included) believe it is good practice to change the oil and filter twice as of often as recommended by JLR.
The recommended interval is 12 months or 16,000 miles / 26,000 km whichever comes first.
Not many F-Type owners do 26,000 km plus per annum so you should change the oil and filter every six months, I have done this from day one on both my XFR and F-Type and never had an engine problem. It's cheap insurance against a massively expensive blown engine (think $40,000 minimum to replace or repair!)
I also recommend you put a good oil additive in each time and definitely add a good fuel system/injector cleaner to the fuel at the same time.
I use the BG products - MOA for the oil and 44K for the fuel - from my research they are the best.
The AJ133 (and AJ126) is Direct Injection and this can cause a build up of carbon and gunk on the backs of the inlet valves and on the inlet tracts, and especially burnt on carbon deposits on the tips of the fuel injectors.
No fuel additive is going to help with the build up on the valves and inlet tracts as Direct Injection means the fuel completely bypasses those spots, but clogged/stuck injectors is fairly common on older AJ133 engines and the BG 44K really helps to fix and prevent this issue.
Wow! Can i hire you?
Ok....you have pretty much given me everything i need to know.
Thankyou greatly for all that info, it is much appreciated!!

As far as the 6 month oil and filter change for the v8's are concerned, Landtek just told me the exact same thing. Sounds like a general rule of thumb. Going Penrite oil for this service as the Castrol is so hard to find locally to me. Hopefully it doesnt create any issues but i beleive these guys at Landtek know what their doing.

@OzXFR FTW!! 🙌