F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Indoor car cover for dust

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2024, 09:18 PM
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Indoor car cover for dust

I was looking for just a reasonably priced indoor car cover and hoping to find one on Amazon. Has anyone bought one for their F Type off Amazon and pleased with it? I drive my car 2-3 times per week but it collects so much dust just sitting in the garage. The car is ceramic coated and they didn't recommend a car cover but its ridiculous with the dust.

Old 06-23-2024, 01:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,290 Likes on 889 Posts

I cant help you with the car cover (I have a Covercraft one for the mustang which is very good, but it is set up for outdoor) but if your car is attracting a lot of dust that might be a static thing and there are some steps you can take to reduce the static. I swapped to a non silicone, wipe on/wipe off style of car wax and it reduced dust collection significantly, I think it was most likely the less buffing that did it. I read that washing the car in just plain waster for a while will reduce the static as well.

Last edited by BruceTheQuail; 06-23-2024 at 01:39 AM.
Old 06-23-2024, 06:49 AM
Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

You’ll scratch the car more taking a cover on/off over time. Keep uncovered and blow it off with a leaf blower or something here and there or something. One man’s opinion.

Old 06-23-2024, 07:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 257 Posts

Of course, eventually you will whack the car with the leaf blower!!

Old 06-23-2024, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by CJSJAG
Of course, eventually you will whack the car with the leaf blower!!
LOL, I use an Ego cordless leaf blower to dry my car off when washing...

This one:

https://egopowerplus.com/blower-765cfm-lb7650/

Crazy power, and I use a shorter stubby attachment (not the long one that comes with it), along with this product on the end to protect against the type of concerns you are suggesting:

https://www.blowerband.com/

To be honest, the shorter stubby attachment I bought was the one right from Ego and it already had a rubberish material on the end that probably would have been good enough, but I got the Blower Band to be sure, as it is more protective for sure. There are lots of cheaper 3rd party stubby attachments as well, as the car community buys this Ego for car drying in droves apparently. They don't fit as well as the one from Ego though I've read.

I'm generally pretty careful but mistakes do happen. The shorter attachment makes it such that the likelihood you will hit the car is nil basically. A lot easier to handle with that on there vs. the longer attachment etc...

I will just blow the dust off my car here and there with this thing. For whatever the reason there doesn't seem to be a lot of dust in my garage. Probably a non-issue over the summer, but over the winter perhaps when it is sitting longer.

Last edited by DMeister; 06-23-2024 at 07:34 AM.
Old 06-23-2024, 07:57 AM

I went through this car cover stuff in my head in the past as well, and every time I considered it the reading I did always ended up in the info suggesting that covers will create more problems than they solve. If you are not careful in handling the cover when it is off the car you will inevitably drag unintended dirt onto the vehicle and unknowingly be scratching etc...Plus, if you're not careful about the material chosen for the cover, that alone will do the scratching for ya.

Touchless anything is always better. That's how you prevent scratches across the board.

Old 06-23-2024, 08:08 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

I have a California duster which works well for dust and pollen, though some say it may scratch the paint.

The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (06-23-2024)
Old 06-23-2024, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by DJS
I have a California duster which works well for dust and pollen, though some say it may scratch the paint.
It most definitely will. Probably more than a cover even would is my guess.

Rubbing any object on a car that has dirt/dust on the surface will. There’s no way around it.

I’d just leave the dust until your next routine wash that will be able to take it off without damage via good washing practices, but that’s me. Many people don’t care, which is a completely fine approach as well if it works for them.

Old 06-23-2024, 08:29 AM
Received 270 Likes on 206 Posts

+1 for blower, I have a Bigboi buddy

Old 06-23-2024, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by dangoesfast
+1 for blower, I have a Bigboi buddy
Oh yeah, those are great too. I know somebody who has one of those and he raves about it.

Old 06-23-2024, 08:42 AM
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

I have the Ego leaf blower which helps minimally as the dust seems to stick to the car. Again the car is ceramic coated so I cannot use just any product on the surface. I just circle back to this issue from time to time in hopes of a better solution and apparently a car cover doesn't appear to be it!

Old 06-23-2024, 08:43 AM
Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

I use a Blaster Sidekick to blow mine off. It is small but really powerful. It is also very well made.

Amazon Amazon

Old 06-23-2024, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Whatsnext
I have the Ego leaf blower which helps minimally as the dust seems to stick to the car. Again the car is ceramic coated so I cannot use just any product on the surface. I just circle back to this issue from time to time in hopes of a better solution and apparently a car cover doesn't appear to be it!
Mine is ceramic coated as well. The one time I used the blower it seemed to work alright for removing some dust. I guess we'll see.

Maybe the trick is to not let it build up? Not sure...

Old 06-23-2024, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 579 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by DMeister
You’ll scratch the car more taking a cover on/off over time. Keep uncovered and blow it off with a leaf blower or something here and there or something.
Or, don't touch the paint, just go for a Spirited Drive!

I DO use a small dedicated California Duster on my ceramic-coated wheels every 3rd or 4th drives, to easily remove the OEM brake dust.

Old 06-23-2024, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
Or, don't touch the paint, just go for a Spirited Drive!

I DO use a small dedicated California Duster on my ceramic-coated wheels every 3rd or 4th drives, to easily remove the OEM brake dust.
I wash my car weekly so that seems to work well enough for me. These brakes do throw dust though. They must be pretty bad because it don't take too long to see some, especially on the fronts I find.

Had carbon ceramics been an option to tick here in Canada I probably would have ticked it on my order. It looks like they only made them available in the UK for the final year car, and the rest of the world did not have the option at all.

Ah well, what can ya do...Is what it is...

Old 06-23-2024, 11:31 AM
Received 190 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Whatsnext
I was looking for just a reasonably priced indoor car cover and hoping to find one on Amazon. Has anyone bought one for their F Type off Amazon and pleased with it? I drive my car 2-3 times per week but it collects so much dust just sitting in the garage. The car is ceramic coated and they didn't recommend a car cover but its ridiculous with the dust.
I've used a non-custom satin-type stretchy indoor car cover that I bought from Amazon about two years ago for about 130 bucks and it has been amazing. Great fit and super easy to deal with no potential to scratch the finish. It has held up really well, showing no signs of giving it up. My car's paint is in showroom condition so I am super careful.

Unfortunately, I do not see it on Amazon at the moment, but there are some others there that might work for you. I have ALWAYS used an indoor car cover. It's worth every penny [if you wish to keep your car in pristine condition].

Old 06-23-2024, 01:06 PM
Received 121 Likes on 51 Posts

It only takes about 10 minutes to go over my kitty with McGuires Quick Detaler. It’s great for dust, bird crap, bugs, etc. I would use it for grimy dirt. Leaves a beautiful shine, and using microfiber hasn’t scratched it yet.

Old 06-24-2024, 05:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was hoping this thread existed. I’m about to receive my 2016 F-Type R and have been looking to replicate this style I have for my Corvette Z06, with no success. I see WeatherTech has fitted ones for around $800. Seems a bit steep! I’m in Canada btw. Any advice is appreciated. I do intend to cover it, and I always wash before covering, so it get the blow-off debate, but I’m more focused on my quest for the perfect fitted indoor cover. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Old 06-24-2024, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by 2016 F-Type R owner

I was hoping this thread existed. I’m about to receive my 2016 F-Type R and have been looking to replicate this style I have for my Corvette Z06, with no success. I see WeatherTech has fitted ones for around $800. Seems a bit steep! I’m in Canada btw. Any advice is appreciated. I do intend to cover it, and I always wash before covering, so it get the blow-off debate, but I’m more focused on my quest for the perfect fitted indoor cover. Any help is greatly appreciated!
With the F-type being so low volume in comparison I suppose your choices will be more limited…Likely…

As I’ve indicated, I’m not much of a cover guy, but that does look like a really nice one you have there for your Z06 for sure.

The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (06-24-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 08:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 263 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by DMeister
With the F-type being so low volume in comparison I suppose your choices will be more limited…Likely…

As I’ve indicated, I’m not much of a cover guy, but that does look like a really nice one you have there for your Z06 for sure.
I use this cover on my car. In the winter I put moving blankets over it to add an additional layer of protection.

https://www.covercraft.com/product/c...-cover/FF-CCFF

Quick Reply: Indoor car cover for dust