Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Infotainment...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 04:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Infotainment...

The F is the first car I've owned with integrated Nav, phone, and stereo. I've previously avoided it having been seriously irritated by similar systems on rental cars over the years (mostly - but not exclusively - made in Germany).

The Jaguar system comes in for quite a bit of criticism, for reasons that continue to elude me. It's okay but not fantastic, and there isn't anything that's actually annoying. This week I spent a couple of days driving a VW. I wanted to rip the Nav system out of the dash more than once.

Also, I didn't have to read the Owners a Manual in order to figure out how to make the Jaguar system work...

So: could those of you with more experience describe the good/bad points of other systems?

Old 08-01-2015, 04:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

For me the main thing is the speed...the system is sloooow. Other systems are much faster. You press something, it does it. With the F-Type you press and have to wait for a pause, then it does it. Now, I think for 2016 model year it's a new system, so it might be much better. If you have the new F-Type than it's probably much faster.

Old 08-01-2015, 04:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

I got mine last year, so no. I've not noticed it being slower than the iPad I'm typing this on though.

I did get a go in the XE fitted with the new system this week. I didn't notice any startling changes.

Old 08-01-2015, 05:14 AM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

The Jag system is better than the crap Garmin transplant they still put in Aston Martins. It's better IMHO than the system in a Porsche or a VW, but to be fair my experience with those two isn't with what they are currently offering. It's not as good as the system in my wife's 2007 Cadillac but at least the Jag lets me type in addresses when driving where the cadi does not. It's not as good as what was in my last (2005) Honda. It's likely two or more generations behind what one would get In a new Japanese car of any make. Then again, why wouldn't one expect the Japanese to have better electronics of all kinds than pretty much anyone else? No shock there from my perspective.

I agree the Jag system takes longer than it should to accept inputs and to switch between functions, in particular in fooling around with the navigation. It's fine once you get used to it. The link to the phone and I-pod seems fine too, although it's not always happy to drive the IPod. Currently mine only really works when using Bluetooth, which was not the case a month ago. I plan to mention it when it is in for service next month.

I think all in all the complaints are coming from people who either own late model Japanese cars, or who geek on the latest electronic gear. I'm not in that demographic.

Fortunately, It's a car, not a home theater. As a car, what it offers in driving thrills and pleasure is miles ahead of the Japanese, Germans and Americans in the categories that matter most to me. The screen and software aren't the focus of my driving experience, which is mostly top down on back roads that I know well enough to dispense with navigation. The only reasons for me to use the navigation system would be to find an unfamiliar address or to avoid traffic. It does both of those things reasonably well.

Old 08-01-2015, 05:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

From my point of view, the system works just fine. I've been fortunate not to be cursed with the rattling or buzzing. It does the few things I want it to do and the Nav seems to respond quickly enough, but that could be because it's the 2016. My only complaint with the system is that it is not compatible with my 12 year old iPod (and no place to set up the phonograph), but that's a personal problem.

Last edited by Unhingd; 08-01-2015 at 05:59 AM.
Old 08-01-2015, 06:19 AM
Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

The 2016's aren't any faster. It is still slow compared to my recently departed 8 year old BMW.

Old 08-01-2015, 06:29 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DuhCar
The 2016's aren't any faster. It is still slow compared to my recently departed 8 year old BMW.
I thought Jag was professing a faster processing rate for the 2016 unit.

Last edited by Unhingd; 08-01-2015 at 06:33 AM.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:05 AM
Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy
I thought Jag was professing a faster processing rate for the 2016 unit.
Gee, if that's the case I pity the 2015 owners.

I think they just revamped the center readout unit for a clearer display.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

I've said this multiple times on the forum and usually gotten laughed at. The F-Type 14-15 system isn't fancy, but it is very intuitive and does everything quickly enough with no lag. It doesn't have all the glitzy colors and an HD screen, but it just works reliably all the time.

It's far more user-friendly than systems I've experienced in Audis, BMWs, Cadillacs, Corvettes, Fords, MBs, Porsches, Nissans, Toyotas, and VWs, even though many of these systems are capable of more once you dig through all the layers necessary to find what you want. My number one priority is getting what I want quickly, and all the others are far less intuitive.

However, the very best I've ever seen is the new FCA UConnect system, which I've fallen in love with in my Jeep. It not only does much more and has higher quality graphics, it's also faster and actually more user-friendly.

Most of the car mags are now also saying that FCA UConnect is best in the industry.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:59 AM
Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by DuhCar
Gee, if that's the case I pity the 2015 owners.

I think they just revamped the center readout unit for a clearer display.

It depends; Jaguar is actually running two versions of their infotainment system currently in the F-Type. You'll get the brand new version which has a completely new Operating system if you purchase a car with either the standard 180W or the 380W Meridian system.

If you purchase an MY16 car with the 770W Meridian, you get the old system updated with the new interface on the first layer of the system. After the first couple of screens you get the interface from the old 14/15 cars.

The differences are outlined in the attached.

My recommendation on any new purchase is get the 380W system and the new NLI based infotainment.

Attached Thumbnails Infotainment...-satnav.jpg  
Old 08-01-2015, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mawheele
It depends; Jaguar is actually running two versions of their infotainment system currently in the F-Type. You'll get the brand new version which has a completely new Operating system if you purchase a car with either the standard 180W or the 380W Meridian system.

If you purchase an MY16 car with the 770W Meridian, you get the old system updated with the new interface on the first layer of the system. After the first couple of screens you get the interface from the old 14/15 cars.

My recommendation on any new purchase is get the 380W system and the new NLI based infotainment.
The 770w system is now standard in the U.S., even on the base car, and there are no other choices.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member

We only get the 770w system in the U.S., so that means we're stuck with the old system.

Old 08-01-2015, 12:57 PM
Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy
We only get the 770w system in the U.S., so that means we're stuck with the old system.
Bummer! I'm sure its just a matter of time before they migrate the functionality over. Its just code.

Old 08-01-2015, 04:16 PM
Received 121 Likes on 71 Posts

I'll add that I have been very happy with the infotainment system in my '15. I do not experience lag others are reporting.

In fact, I would say it is more responsive than the system in the Lexus, and on par with the Mercedes system.

The following users liked this post:
F-typical (08-01-2015)
Old 08-01-2015, 04:27 PM
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

2016 r here - the system does take frustratingly long to accept inputs. My salesman commented when he was orienting me "it's British not American take your time pressing the buttons"
I came from 12 911 which was far better at everything. I particularly hate the jag nav and never use it. The 911 used to allow me to display traffic on the dash and it helped my morning commute. Now I'm on waze full time and as soon as sat trial expires that's gone too.

Old 08-01-2015, 05:55 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
I've said this multiple times on the forum and usually gotten laughed at. The F-Type 14-15 system isn't fancy, but it is very intuitive and does everything quickly enough with no lag. It doesn't have all the glitzy colors and an HD screen, but it just works reliably all the time.

It's far more user-friendly than systems I've experienced in Audis, BMWs, Cadillacs, Corvettes, Fords, MBs, Porsches, Nissans, Toyotas, and VWs, even though many of these systems are capable of more once you dig through all the layers necessary to find what you want. My number one priority is getting what I want quickly, and all the others are far less intuitive.

However, the very best I've ever seen is the new FCA UConnect system, which I've fallen in love with in my Jeep. It not only does much more and has higher quality graphics, it's also faster and actually more user-friendly.

Most of the car mags are now also saying that FCA UConnect is best in the industry.
I have a UConnect in my Ghibli. A couple of annoyances there are that it pulls album art from a Gracenotes data base and not the art embedded in the music file, and that when playing an iPod it cuts off the final few seconds of every track (although interestingly it doesn't do that when playing files off an SD card.) Other than that, I agree it works quite well.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:47 AM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

This is really strange. So you pay more to get a worse system
Can someone who tried both 2016 systems give any feedback on this.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:14 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,117 Likes on 1,413 Posts

Poorly designed user interface. On my 2010 Ford, there are always dedicated +/- zoom buttons on the screen, and once you hit one, buttons for common zoom levels appear. Seldom takes more than 1 or 2 button presses to get where you want.

On the Jag system, you hit 'Zoom' on the left, and then the bar with +/- appears. When I hit the '-', my hand obscures the zoom level, so I have to listen for beeps, or move my hand if I'm doing more than one click.

The traffic info is lousy compared to my 2010 Ford. I do like the exit list you get when on a freeway.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
Poorly designed user interface. On my 2010 Ford, there are always dedicated +/- zoom buttons on the screen, and once you hit one, buttons for common zoom levels appear. Seldom takes more than 1 or 2 button presses to get where you want.

On the Jag system, you hit 'Zoom' on the left, and then the bar with +/- appears. When I hit the '-', my hand obscures the zoom level, so I have to listen for beeps, or move my hand if I'm doing more than one click.

The traffic info is lousy compared to my 2010 Ford. I do like the exit list you get when on a freeway.
Traffic info is lousy in all vehicle nav systems I've used (many) because it's always too dated to be useful. There are much better alternatives for smart phones.

The Waze app, puts them all to shame, because it uses instant real-time info from thousands of users on line at any given moment in large metro areas. In DC during daylight hours there are usually between 5-10K users on-line, navigating, and reporting.

I've frequently experimented by running both Waze and my car nav systems during rush-hour traffic periods, and Waze almost always sends me on different and faster routes around traffic jams.

I guarantee in a year or two, a very smart manufacturer is going to incorporate the Waze app (or similar system), and soon after, everyone else will jump on board.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 995 Likes on 745 Posts

Bummer! I'm sure its just a matter of time before they migrate the functionality over. Its just code.
Yes, it's all code. Except for the processor. My guess is that the hardware is newer and faster.