Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Infotainment haywire + multiple faults

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts
Default Infotainment haywire + multiple faults

Started yesterday with stereo cutting out followed by "Stability Control not Available, Drive with care". Happened twice. I had a cd playing and thought I may have hit bumps in road and caused skipping. Today on 60 mile trip, same with cd playing sometimes blacking out screen, then multiple times with "Stabilty Control, etc message" . Became progressively worse, adding ABS fault and EPB fault and skid control icon lighting up. Made it to my destination, on return home, I was concerned and stayed off the highway, taking back roads. At one point all messages were flashing and car would not accelerate above 30 mph. When I tried toggling in and out of dynamic mode message " Special systems not available". I pulled over, shut down the car and it cleared messages enough to get back to my office. While the infotainment screen was flickering I could hear a clicking coming from outside the car. I was either being abducted or possessed by aliens or there is a problem with the car. The car was in for the enhancements update less than a month ago. First time experiencing this. Is this the dreaded battery issue? Car has been driven regularly.

Old 05-17-2017, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
Is this the dreaded battery issue?
No, this is something entirely new to the forum. However, low voltage could be the cause of these various issues not otherwise typically connected.

Old 05-18-2017, 03:27 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for responding. It's always great to break new ground. Can't get in to the dealer till the 31st.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:05 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Any other dealers in the area that might be able to get at it sooner?

Old 05-19-2017, 05:29 AM
Veteran Member

No other dealers close, and wouldn't get the loaner. Drove it a couple miles to work in the morning and back at night. Not a peep from the car. Like it never happened. Looking through the vehicle info, I thought I might find a "last alarm" message but that option wasn't available to select.

Old 05-22-2017, 02:41 AM
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

I have "last alarm" under vehicle info in the display between the gauges.

Old 05-22-2017, 05:07 AM
Veteran Member

Nothing in the display either. I checked the "last alarm" info and that line isn't accessible. I've checked it at various times and no luck. I know the oil info isn't available, but why not the other info? Also, drove the car for 45 minutes on Sunday to see if I could recreate the issue. I drove both in sport and dynamic with cd playing as before. I put the seat heat on and after a few minutes the stereo made 3 slight skips. I turned the heat off and nothing further happened. I turned it back on a bit later and nothing unusual. Car seems to be driving as well as ever as it seems at close to 7k miles it's just breaking in.

Old 05-26-2017, 04:59 AM
Veteran Member

What ever this issue is it seems to be more intense when it occurs. The problem seems to some kind of an electrical short or rapid voltage fluctuation. I am going to have the dealer get the car because it can't reliably be driven at this point. I disconnected the pigtail for the battery tender thinking maybe something there but no impact on the problem.

Old 06-02-2017, 03:19 AM
Veteran Member

Update: car fixed and returned from dealer. Ground wire in front (somewhere) was loose and had some corrosion. Service cleaned, put some lubricant on it and problem solved. It was causing faults throughout all electrical systems due to loss of ground.