F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Infotainment Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2019 | 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
This is near and dear to my heart at the moment as I'm thinking of going to an R but it would have to be no newer than a 17MY because the 18's have the horizontal blades that I dont like. So I'd love a '15 or 16MY (RWD) but the infotainment is pedestrian, then the 16.5 - 17MY's have the infotainment I want but are in AWD, unfortunately they are like hen's teeth over here and there are limited colour choices.

I'd be much happier (and would save plenty of $$) getting a '15 and spending $15K on a complete gut's out change of the infotainment if it was possible.
I have a late 15 build, v8 coupe with rwd and the older infotainment with the newer graphics

i spec’d it with every option incl. the ceramics, for me it’s the sweet spot in the generation, rwd is key with this car, all that torque off idle makes managing power down a lot of fun, and the noise from what I’ve read has been throttled back over the years

tbh as much as I want a more modern info, end of the day it doesn’t bother me as I get all that in my f80 m3 that I alternate daily duties with. When I get in the jag it’s all about that engine and noise, I plug my phone in, put a podcast on in background and just drive

ive gone back and forth over buying an svr a few times to get the new info, leds, etc, but when I step back, my spec (I spec all my cars with ivory/white interiors) and rwd is of more value to me, especially when you can just keep replacing your cheaper daily to stay on top of latest tech - you can buy a 50k a class now which has a more advanced info than an s class

I too saw that cheap red svr, and was asking myself could you sort the colour and trIm as it was good value. the way these things have depreciated, doubtful I’d sell mine, its not really worth it

Last edited by domino_z; 07-02-2019 at 07:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
BruceTheQuail (07-02-2019)
Old 07-02-2019 | 02:49 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, having seen what's around I think your one would be ideal for me. Actually mine is ideal for me, it is nicely specced and the colour I want the most, I am just missing the noise of the v8. I like the sound of mine while I am driving it, but when I hear an 8 roar past I get the envies...

Old 07-02-2019 | 06:21 PM

This v8 won’t be around much longer, whether they ditch it in the facelift or next gen it’s a product of a bygone time

in time, the last of the v8’s will even start creeping up in value

just keep looking, I’m sure somethings bound to hit Carsales

The following users liked this post:
BruceTheQuail (07-02-2019)
Old 07-24-2019 | 03:45 AM

I have an XJ rather than a F-type, but I think my experience with Android receivers in general might be useful information. From looking at the thread regarding installing and using the Merryway unit, everything worked fine. The problem was that it was slow when multitasking. I have had 3 Android receivers in 2 different cars(not Jags). In my experience, you MUST get a unit that has at least 2GB of ram. Otherwise, when running multiple programs it will be extremely laggy. For example, you won't be able to run Spotify and navigation programs at the same time(at least not efficiently) with units that only have 1GB of ram. A 2GB unit works great. That being said, I actually solved the sluggish problem with my 1GB unit, by performing a root, and installing a "lightweight" version of all of the Google products. My research indicated that it is the Google programs on the units that makes it so sluggish on 1GB units. It wasn't hard to do, but I would still just stick with 2GB ram or greater units in the future. I am guessing that the unit installation reported by frostysauce here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...210198/page13/ was a 1GB unit. I am currently looking at getting either this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3300...18b12e0ei4EkBc or this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3295...18b12e0ei4EkBc

I think these units are all basically the same manufacturers, with just different brand names and configurations. Going back and forth with the sellers, they couldn't tell me whether or not their units support the valet function and the on screen climate control functions. Looking at the video posted by frostysauce in the "The Definitive Android 10.25” Retrofit Thread" I am thinking that they will at least support the valet function. I have had good results with the universal Android receivers, so I think I am going to pull the trigger and give it a try.